IGNORED

"Nobody made you listen..."

JesusFightClub

I don't know any atheists who want to get rid of contraception, male or female, nor do I know any who think it's a 'women's issue'. I know several people who are in favour of legalising pot but definitely not that the extent of getting rid of abortion. I don't know what kind of atheists you've been hanging out with. You also seem to know only male ones.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, only the male ones have morphed into Ron Paul supporters all the sudden this year, causing me to know they feel this way. It's not stuff that comes up randomly (though the dick-puller-outer was a regular at atheist-humanist events when I was younger, which is why I stopped going.) I don't know ANY female Ron Paul supporters, for obvious reasons, but I've had the "abortion is a side issue! Shut up about it!" discussion between female friends & formerly-assumed-to-be-progressive male friends an awful lot lately.

And the "get rid of contraception" - not in terms of outlawing it, like a fundie, but I have heard plenty of dumb atheist dudes support the "right" of insurance companies not to cover it, and the "right" of hospitals and pharmacies not to offer it. I mean, it's not like it affects them, right? (uh...) So why not have an equal conscientious objector right for religious people as for atheists who don't want to pray at work or decorate for Christmas?

I'm with you, Rosa. I've seen this behavior too, among self-proclaimed atheists or "secular humanists" or whatever. Sexism (and racism and homophobia, etc.) are sadly not limited to the religious, fundie sphere.

Archived