IGNORED

What Do Fundies Think of Dinosaurs and Fossils ?

Turning-A-New-Leaf

I find it a hoot when people try to explain away scietific discovery. I always loved the argument as a child when kids brought up the subject that was inspired by the Spencer tracey line in the Scopes Monkey Trial move..."How long is a day in Heaven?" Our parents alwasy encouraged us to make our own opinion from the facts as we learned them. Course when kids always argued back the "day in Heaven" issue we used to shoot back teh "ASSume" issue. Never got into any punching fights cause all the kids were scaed of our eldest sister(who stood 6' at 12) but it sure made for some pretty wild days on the playground!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the idea that a loving god is always testing you is not exactly the idea of love I come up with. but I guess god does not trust fundies either.

A fundie has to be on guard at all times. They are either being tested by God, "tricked" by the "devil", or tempted by sinners. They don't trust their kids out of their sight and the world is full of danger just waiting for them to miss a day a prayer to swallow them up. I'm pretty sure they don't even trust their wretched selves. Always asking God to save the wretch like them. I want to tell them a secret - they'd be less of wretches if they unfundie'd themselves. Being fundies is what makes them wretches to begin with.

This fundie believes there could be any number of explanations including a Matrix-like idea that we are are not the first civilization to exist on this planet. If you look at Genesis it appears that this planet already existed for some unknown amount of time before He made it habitable and populated it as described in Genesis. Who knows how many times this has been played out before? There is also scientific evidence now that Neandertal and humans existed at the same time which was not previously believed so who knows what further explorations will reveal?

huh, not sure where I fall.

Theologically I am fundamentalist, by the strict definition.

But I also believe the Bible tells a specific story, for a specific reason, and cannot be used as a science textbook because it wasn't intended to be one. Nor even a history of all of humanity in terms of sociology and anthropology. The historical parts focus on a particular people group in a very small segment of the world, leading up to something that is *for* the whole world, but not *about* or descriptive of the whole world. And particularly when it comes to the actual creation story, there's a lot of room left for interpretation as far as timing goes.

I find Apologia science curric annoying (reviewed it once), and my kids have watched every Discovery channel dino flick that we can find online. :) My current position is something along these lines....Believing the Bible is Truth does not mean we know everything about everything by reading it. We get to explore and think and ask questions and learn. And that applies to their science studies as much as their Biblical studies, because there will always be new things to learn, and with those discoveries will come corrections to prevailing scientific thought of various eras.

I still don't know how the fundies gather that the earth is only 6,000 years old.
They assume that the Bible genealogies are true. They count from Adam to Daniel assuming no gaps. Then in the book of Daniel there is a prophecy that counts to the date (they say) of when Jesus rode in on an ass on Palm Sunday. If it's a real prophecy they count the years between it and when Jesus did that to the day and add those to how long between Adam and Daniel. After that they count from Jesus' death until today. This is one of the reasons they need the Earth to be a certain number of years old and no older. If it's older then that prophecy was wrong and Jesus wasn't the messiah OR things before that were wrong and God didn't create the Earth in 7 days. If God didn't create the Earth in 7 days then the covenant with God re: salvation is a lie and their religion is puffed out in a smoke of logic.

God created them and they coexisted with humans. They died out naturally. OR Satan created them and they died out in the flood. Those are the main two I've heard. (Though suggesting that Satan can create things like God can is kind of sacrilegious.) They also believe that dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible. You can read the AiG explanation if you want to feel like punching yourself in the face. http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... -the-bible

Archived