IGNORED

Worst place ever for a proposal?

Doomed Harlottt

Ha, I thought this was about the guy who got rejected at the UCLA(?) game. If you're going to propose on a jumbotron, you better be really sure she's going to say yes first...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainme ... tball-cam/

The Los Angeles Sports Arena is a pretty awful place to propose. (Thought I think if you have your wits about you, you just say yes and then break up with him later.)

Sorry. I would take the Arby's proposal. I don't mind my proposal story broadcasting, "Hey, we were poor when we got engaged." I do mind my proposal story broadcasting, "My husband and I are morons."

Of course, I got engaged in the best possible spot -- in bed.

I got engaged in the bathtub.

The Los Angeles Sports Arena is a pretty awful place to propose. (Thought I think if you have your wits about you, you just say yes and then break up with him later.)

Yeah, that was my thought. If I ever got proposed to in public like that (which I sincerely hope would not happen) I would say yes at the time, even if I intended to break it off later.

Congrats!

And more congrats to you!

Had to edit to add my own proposal story since we all seem to be sharing. Since my husband and I are equestrians, he proposed to me in the woods on horseback. I joke that it was the only way he could conceive of proposing to me romantically without having to get down on one knee.

On the way to lunch, he asked whether I would prefer an elaborate proposal or not, if he were to propose. (We'd been discussing it with increasing seriousness as his visa options deteriorated. I'd even stated that if he asked, I'd say yes - there was enough uncertainty already.) I said it didn't need to be elaborate, on one knee, or anything like that. I'd previously said I *didn't* want to be proposed to in bed. We got to lunch, and he held my hand across the table and asked me.

I accepted, but we kept quiet for a month in case his visa looked likely to come through. It didn't. So we did. :)

Sorry. I would take the Arby's proposal. I don't mind my proposal story broadcasting, "Hey, we were poor when we got engaged." I do mind my proposal story broadcasting, "My husband and I are morons."

Of course, I got engaged in the best possible spot -- in bed.

Yes it is!! Congratulations. Now think up an alternative story for when your children someday ask you about the details.....

Heh. Well, congratulations are not in order for me since my proposal happened about 17 years ago. But congratulations to everyone else!

I do have an alternative story since people do ask (not just one's children). Since I said no to the first proposal (in bed), my now-husband brought it up again when we were having our TV dinners and watching the news in his apartment. So I just skip the first proposal and pretend the second one was the first time he broached the topic.

I do think public proposals, like the one doggie posted, are in the worst taste possible, unless the proposer is absolutely 100% confident that the proposee will say "yes" (and mean it) and that she (it is usually a "she") won't find the public nature of it off-putting. I think generally these proposals put the woman in a terrible position. It is terribly coercive because, if you say no, then you are a killjoy and someone who humiliated a man publicly.

Archived