IGNORED

Dressing in Victorian Drag

The Archivist

Quakers believe that all have the light within...and that we sit in silence listening for the truth as it means to each of us individually. A few links...

nontheistfriends.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontheist_Friend (I didn't break this because it is Wiki)

Interesting. I'll have to read more on that, thank you.

Lest you think I'm being judgmental (I totally am, by the way), Sarah Jane kind of goes off on denim skirts in a snotty way that makes me love her:

romantichistory.blogspot.com/2011/07/week-in-feminine-dress-day-4.html

I don't think she has ever really tied her dress into her religion all that much. Reading the more recent posts in her blog, she also doesn't appear to be as deep into the religion as she was at one point. I do still worry about all her kids and the racist views that appear to be espoused in that household, as well as if her husband is really treating her all that well.

Isn't Sarah Jane the one who sewed some elaborate Civil War uniform for her husband, who then went off and started nitpicking this, that and the other that was historically inaccurate? Her husband's pretty tubby, at least when you compare his physique to that of the typical enlisted guy during the U.S. Civil War. If he really cared about being period accurate, he'd start hitting the gym.

Quaker Jane doesn't bother me, I guess because she's not running around telling people they're hell-bound, arguing that everyone needs to dress the way she does, et cetera. If she wants to wear bonnets and capes, that doesn't hurt me any.

I'm still thinking about this whole thing, and as someone else who admires vintage clothing, it's complicated.

Maybe I feel like, if you want to dress up just because you want to, that's rad. Let your freak flag fly. But it irks me a little bit when people put religious motivations (whether it's direct - God Told Me To - or indirect, via Modesty) behind their choice of clothing - something that is fun, socially relevant, yes, but ultimately? Not super important. I mean, what did the Bible say about the lilies of the field?

Anyway, I think that's my issue. Wear your vintage clothes proudly, I say, but I'd rather not hear religious justifications for doing so (unless you are part of a religious sect that ACTUALLY practices plain dress, like Amish or Mennonite - and in those cases, the old-timey clothing is one of the less important aspects of the lifestyle choices.)

Ok as a reenactor I have to say this, I don't GET it when people want to wear that stuff FULL TIME.

I have a toddler to chase and the thought of crawling into a corset every morning is just loathsome.

OTOH, my brother made me a civil war wrapper (basically a housecoat/maternity outfit) out of wool and its indescribably warm and comfortable that I do wear around the house in the bitter cold of jan/feb but that's simply because i have NOTHING warmer.

When I saw the thread title I was so hoping it was about Dougie. Sigh.

Hehe, if I hadn't found Quaker Jane I wouldn't have found Free Jinger. It's a long story.

I always wonder what Quaker Jane looked like before the whole plain-dressing thing. And I think yeah, she was more into the "feminism"/theatric aspect than the religious aspect.

I found Sarah Jane through her Etsy shop. I am a Jane Asten girl, and I have ordered Regency items from her. I am now looking for her to sew a new Regency dress for me. I don't know how I missed her blog! I simply love her sewing skills. Now I need to go search out the bog.

I've seen Quaker Jane's blog before, I'm a repro-vintage clothing nut too myself so I found it on one of my wanderings around sewing sites. Have you seen her husband? They really are an odd couple. She wears the victorian 'plain quaker' clothing including HUGE bonnets and her husband has dreadlocks!

I just took a look at her website. She is a crazy cat lady.

That's what I want to know.

Before my headship and I met, I assumed it was my destiny.

Now i'm a crazy corgi lady. I could have as many corgis as Michelle duggar has children if I had the room and resources. And i'd probably treat them better too...

Before my headship and I met, I assumed it was my destiny.

Now i'm a crazy corgi lady. I could have as many corgis as Michelle duggar has children if I had the room and resources. And i'd probably treat them better too...

I'm heading towards being a crazy pug lady as we might be getting a new pug or two this late spring. :shhh:

And just what is wrong with being a crazy cat lady? :whistle:

There is nothing wrong with it. I just think its amusing that she has a a quiverfull of cats instead of children.

I love cats. I would have one if I was not allergic to them. Instead, I am the crazy hedgehog lady.

There is nothing wrong with it. I just think its amusing that she has a a quiverfull of cats instead of children.

I love cats. I would have one if I was not allergic to them. Instead, I am the crazy hedgehog lady.

I know, I was just teasing you. ;)

Archived