IGNORED

Vancouver, WA parent starve, imprison adopted sons

BravaAmica

I have been watching this case and I have not heard anything yet about religion. I have my own suspicions.

Hey, douchebags, thanks for making it harder for *good* parents to adopt.

The twins lived with those parents for 14 years? I wonder if they were abused for 14 years... Oh gosh. :(

The probably were. And I sincerely hope that they are with people who can support them and get the the help they need.

Those poor kids :cry: I hope they are somewhere safe now.

I have been a foster parent for more than a decade and while all child abuse and neglect make me sad there is something about food hoarding that really gets to me. If a child hoards food it's an indication that the adults in their lives have failed to meet one of the most basic of human needs. Continuing to withhold food just makes it so much worse. When we've had children with hoarding issues I *gasp* give them food. As much as they think they need, the only rule being hidden food must be non-perishable and unopened. If they need the security of storing boxes of granola bars, cookies and cereal then I give them boxes of their own to hide wherever they see fit, and I provide them with as much of the healthiest meals and snacks they can eat (it almost always takes awhile to ease them into healthy eating). And then I get them the help of trained professionals ASAP.

LeatherCouch, I'm with you on the hoarding. I can't imagine having something that basic held just out of spite/meanness/whatever. And kudos to you for helping those kiddos work through whatever food issues they have. I'm sure just knowing they have a box of granola bars stashed away alleviates stress for them.

In one of the articles I read, the parents claimed that the children would eat them out of house and home if allowed. Um, they were severely underweight and had stunted growth so clearly they needed more than they were getting.

A child who eats constantly and does not gain weight should be fed as much as they can hold. I have an underweight child who eats constantly, and I keep the snacks coming. My other kids are a little jealous because whatever he wants to eat, whenever he wants it, that is what he gets.

And when you're a teenager, you need even more food... It's not up to the parents to decide how hungry their kids are, or how much food they need (barring some cases where a child has a physiological disorder that disrupts hunger cues, in which case the parents need 1. get the child appropriate medical help and 2. help them learn how to gauge how much is enough).

Guest Anonymous

Ugh, those poor kids. I *hate* those so-called parents. From the article:

Inside the children's bedroom was also a small boarded-up hole, where apparently some of the other children in the house would sometimes try and sneak the twins something to eat.

That is so freaking sad, and I'd call it evidence that children are not all awful little sinners as per fundie beliefs. Despite the fact that these kids were raised by terrible people, they still knew it was wrong to starve their siblings and tried to help.

I was never starved as a kid, but there were definitely times when there wasn't enough/any food in the house. I'm almost 30 and to this day I get anxious if I'm somewhere without food. I keep granola/energy bars in the car and I stop at the grocery store and buy snacks if I'm going to stay in a hotel. I don't hoard food but I think about it a lot and I get unreasonably upset about food related issues. God help any roommate of mine that eats the last of something I bought without asking me, I will flip out even if I know they will replace it.

I hope the kids get the help they need and the people who starved them rot in jail.

From the linked article (above):

Glessner remembered one of the twins as a very skinny boy who would walk to Hearthwood Elementary School with her granddaughter six years ago. She recalled that he had large chunks of hair missing. The boy said he was told to say it was cancer treatments, she said.

Glessner’s family was so concerned about possible warning signs that they told a school counselor, who referred the report to CPS, she said. The Glessner family never heard anything more — but then the boy was quickly removed from the elementary school, she recalled. Police reported the twins have been home-schooled.

How do such asswipes get to adopt?

According to his ex-wife, she first met him (Steve) at a church camp. Not sure which one. Their 2 sons had recently been awarded to him due to a shoddy cps review which is now being investigated. She divorced him because of domestic violence. The twins were adopted by Sandra and her first husband Tim. He now lives in Colorado. He also left her because of abuse. Sounds like the two of them are just an evil match. My guess is that they are fundie of some sort.

Archived