IGNORED

TV Station Warns of the Issues With Sharing Long Term Forecasts

47of74

KCRG had this article up about the issues with sharing long term weather forecasts with friends

There is the potential for a winter storm at the beginning of next week. However, it’s important to remember that not all the snow totals and maps circulating on Social Media are credible.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the low-pressure system is over 3,000 miles away from Eastern Iowa in the Gulf of Alaska. Since the storm is so far away, meteorologists are still working on the details of the system’s potential for the Midwest. This is why it’s important to watch for updates to the forecast.

When a winter event is a week or more away, weather models come up with several potential outcomes for the storm. However, once the storm is closer to the area, models have a more accurate depiction of the system’s potential. This is why the KCRG-TV 9 First Alert Storm Team doesn’t provide detailed timing or snowfall totals until 48 hours before the storm begins.

They raise a good point that forecasts aren't always accurate and that blizzard they're warning about two weeks out may turn out to be nothing.  That's why people should keep checking the weather and not rely on long term forecasts.  I was continually checking the forecasts leading up to Christmas in case I had to change my plans and come down before the 23rd.  

• Upvote 1