IGNORED

Sports and Gambling

47of74

A few years ago the rules around gambling over sporting contests were loosened.  So course the corruption moved right back in.  There's been some gambling corruption both with University of Iowa and Iowa State players, and ISU confirmed one of the athletes charged has dropped out of their program.

Iowa State football player Jirehl Brock, who was charged in the state investigation into illegal sports wagering by ISU and Iowa athletes, has left the program, the school confirmed Monday.

Brock, the Cyclones’ leading rusher last season, was among five projected football starters since Aug. 1 to be charged with tampering with records for allegedly attempting to disguise his identity on a mobile sports betting account.

Brock, who is from Quincy, Illinois, placed 1,327 illegal wagers totaling over $12,000 between February 2022 and February 2023, according to a criminal complaint. The bets were made on a FanDuel account controlled by him but registered under another name, the complaint said.

Brock is accused of making bets on three Iowa State football games, two in which he played, and 13 ISU basketball games.

The whole sports and gambling thing just makes me angry.  Sporting events should be enjoyable not only for the participants for the spectators as well.  I'm really pissed off that some fucking idiots soiled my beloved Hawkeyes by doing stupid shit like this and they deserve every goddamn punishment that comes their way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1

Ugh.  Seriously fucking ugh

Iowa football player Noah Shannon, who has acknowledged his involvement in sports wagering, has been suspended for the season, coach Kirk Ferentz announced Wednesday.

Ferentz told reporters in Iowa City the school would appeal the NCAA’s decision.

Shannon has not been charged in the state’s criminal investigation of illegal sports wagering by athletes at Iowa and Iowa State. The senior from Aurora, Illinois, has started 28 games and came out of spring listed No. 1 at left defensive tackle.

Ferentz said Shannon made at least one wager on an event involving a Hawkeyes team in another sport, which is an NCAA violation punishable by a permanent loss of eligibility.

My position about any player with University of Iowa player who even tries to corrupt my beloved Hawkeyes is fuck em, they need to face the consequences regardless of what they are.  I'm at the I don't care how well they perform on the field Kirk needs to go if he feels like that stage.

• 3 weeks later...

The NCAA told the University of Iowa athletics to take their petition regarding Shannon and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

On Tuesday, University of Iowa Moon Family Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz announced that the NCAA denied defensive tackle Noah Shannon’s appeal for eligibility for the 2023 season.

The NCAA suspended him after he gambled on at least one University of Iowa sports game. It was reportedly not an Iowa Hawkeyes football game.

At his weekly media press conference, Coach Ferentz said of the decision, “He’s been honest throughout this whole process, very transparent. About as honest as you can be. I want to emphasize he did not break any laws. My wife made that point a couple of weeks ago, just in emphasis. He is guilty of an NCAA violation. Very upfront about that. Basically I don’t agree or understand, quite frankly, the decision, especially when it comes to the severity of the punishment. To me, it’s really disappointing, especially considering our current environment right now, which believe me, the last couple of months I’m a lot more in tune to that than previously.”

With Shannon being a sixth-year senior, his college playing career at Iowa is effectively over.

I'm glad this happened.  I love my Hawkeyes and even though I live in Minneapolis - the home of the Gophers - I still ❤️ my Hawkeyes and have a lot less than zero tolerance for assholes who corrupt Hawkeye sports.  (And as a Minnesota resident I root for Gophers unless they are playing Iowa and I still would have no tolerance for Gophers players or staff that work to corrupt the game.  Or any other college sports team for that matter).

I think NCAA really has to tighten things up and tell anyone associated with football programs (players, coaches, etc) at any college that gambling or participating in gambling related activity is absolutely verboten.