IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 3: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

We all know it isn't. I also suspect that they aren't intelligent enough to look at different ways to ship their items - they can put books and media together and use media mail, and ground shipping (used to be parcel post) for the rest of their stuff. But USPS doesn't really suggest different types of shipping, and Art strikes me as someone who goes and waits in line, and then has a panic attack about having to talk to someone, and then will just pay the 1st class price.  They would have to be shipping extremely heavy items to the furthest location possible in the US for it to be almost $100 per box using USPS Ground. 

Artemis does not seem to feel any obligation to spend their donated money wisely.  Why would they when they are not the one who had to work and earn it?  All they would have to do is Google cheapest way to ship books and it is media mail.  

• Upvote 10

Just now, MariaariaM said:

This is exactly how my anxious avoidance worked out. I'd be too paralyzed by fear to do anything so I postponed things to the last possible minute, then I rushed into a flurry of terrified but efficient activity, and when the bare minimum of the task was completed I'd collapse into an exhausted puddle for days to months. 

One of my roommates has chronic fatigue syndrome (among other things) but can help friends in emergencies if she's not in a cycle. Helping out for one to three days will nearly always start a fatigue cycle that will then take 7-10 days to recover from. This is where I struggle with Art. My roommate does what she's able to when she's able to and her wife and I pick up the slack when she can't. With Art it feels like there's never a "non fatigue cycle" for lack of better phrasing. But medical professionals don't seem to acknowledge that about Art. My roommate has numerous medical professionals verify her disabilities and write her a shit ton of accommodations in order to get the time off when needed but remain employed the other times.

I'm just so confused by Art. I have another friend who has CFS among other things and can't. Like, there's never a point where she can do all the "normal" things - job, housekeeping, etc. and yet it still "feels" different with her than with Art. She also has a shit ton of doctors who verify she's unable to work, etc. On especially good days she can go for a walk outside - not far but outside her house. And she would do all the things if she were able but she's simply not.

I struggle with knowing what to think about Art. I know there are mystery diagnoses that stump medical professionals and ones that are real and debilitating that medical professionals dismiss as malingering. But as an armchair diagnostician I can't help but judge Art as more of a malingerer than as someone who has a chronic debilitating illness. 

• Upvote 10

7 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

One of my roommates has chronic fatigue syndrome (among other things) but can help friends in emergencies if she's not in a cycle. Helping out for one to three days will nearly always start a fatigue cycle that will then take 7-10 days to recover from. This is where I struggle with Art. My roommate does what she's able to when she's able to and her wife and I pick up the slack when she can't. With Art it feels like there's never a "non fatigue cycle" for lack of better phrasing. But medical professionals don't seem to acknowledge that about Art. My roommate has numerous medical professionals verify her disabilities and write her a shit ton of accommodations in order to get the time off when needed but remain employed the other times.

I'm just so confused by Art. I have another friend who has CFS among other things and can't. Like, there's never a point where she can do all the "normal" things - job, housekeeping, etc. and yet it still "feels" different with her than with Art. She also has a shit ton of doctors who verify she's unable to work, etc. On especially good days she can go for a walk outside - not far but outside her house. And she would do all the things if she were able but she's simply not.

I struggle with knowing what to think about Art. I know there are mystery diagnoses that stump medical professionals and ones that are real and debilitating that medical professionals dismiss as malingering. But as an armchair diagnostician I can't help but judge Art as more of a malingerer than as someone who has a chronic debilitating illness. 

Oh, absolutely. My issues were never physical. But they still absolutely messed me up (and to an extent still do, sometimes). I was just saying that the two things (unexpected efficiency and extreme inactivity) can go together. In my layperson's opinion Art won't get better until they have a strong incentive to work on themselves. And as long as people keep giving them money they don't have that, regardless of how stressful living this way may be.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, MariaariaM said:

This is exactly how my anxious avoidance worked out. I'd be too paralyzed by fear to do anything so I postponed things to the last possible minute, then I rushed into a flurry of terrified but efficient activity, and when the bare minimum of the task was completed I'd collapse into an exhausted puddle for days to months. 

Saaaame here! I’ve been watching this all unfold with mixed feelings, which are kind of too exhausting to type out here. But I will say, when I finally learned about the executive dysfunction and ADHD/anxiety/depression axis, a LOT of things about my life started to make sense. Including that I’m not lazy or worthless, my brain responds to life stressors by freezing up and refusing to engage. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

32 minutes ago, Jasmar said:

Saaaame here! I’ve been watching this all unfold with mixed feelings, which are kind of too exhausting to type out here. But I will say, when I finally learned about the executive dysfunction and ADHD/anxiety/depression axis, a LOT of things about my life started to make sense. Including that I’m not lazy or worthless, my brain responds to life stressors by freezing up and refusing to engage. 

I've found it freeing, too.

I was diagnosed with adhd many years ago. My current roommates (both have adhd, one also has austism) want me to get tested for autism, too. I haven't asked for the referral yet but I'll bring it up at my upcoming appointment. 

• Love 3

They have raised $1736.00 and Art still says they need more money for vet care and shipping.  $1736 seems like it should be enough to move them and, if they cannot afford to care for their cats, they should give them to someone who can.  They cannot even support themselves, let alone pets.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:26 PM, MargieB said:

They have raised $1736.00 and Art still says they need more money for vet care and shipping.  $1736 seems like it should be enough to move them and, if they cannot afford to care for their cats, they should give them to someone who can.  They cannot even support themselves, let alone pets.

I thought Art said they received some private donations. But hey, they still need more! Smash that donate button! 

• Upvote 1

I’m fascinated by how much those two look alike. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

17 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I’m fascinated by how much those two look alike. 

I'm honestly concerned. There are photos from a few years ago and they don't look alike at all. I hope that the medical professionals that Art is seeing are decent and went over their complete history. I'm not saying they aren't Trans/non-bianary, just that I hope this is exactly what Art wants and it's not more people pleasing behavior. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Have you guys seen Wendy & Chris' new thing?

https://monumentglamping.com/about/owners/

How anyone can be so pretentious about what is essentially a vrbo is beyond me. 

• Upvote 2

WOW Art looks just like their dad!!

an update to their fundraiser:

Our last update was over a month ago, and we’ve made a lot of progress in that time! It wouldn’t have been possible without your support, and we are so grateful to everyone who has donated and shared the fundraiser. Thank you so much!

The big news is that we’ve found a place to move! We toured it remotely and submitted our applications last week. We got the call yesterday that we’d been accepted. It’s a studio that meets our needs well, and I’m particularly excited about a small porch where I can grow plants (a favorite hobby that I’ve foregone for the past several years).

In the past few weeks, both cats have seen the vet. They received exams and updated vaccines, and Belladonna will be going back to get one more vaccine (the second dose of a 2-part set) on July 1st.
At that time, we’ll also get some medicine to help them tolerate flying. We’ve also needed to pay for transportation to and from the vet. We didn’t expect the vet, rides, and meds to be so expensive, but altogether that came to about $650. Our estimate was less than half that, and we apologize for this inaccuracy in estimating costs.

We also updated both our IDs. Funds have so far also gone toward purchasing travel and shipping items as needed, and medical supplies for the trip.

The main remaining need is shipping boxes. We’ve only shipped 4 so far, and we have enough money set aside to send two more this week. That leaves 14 boxes that need to be shipped. Right now we have 10 boxes packed and ready to ship, and we only have enough money to ship two of them.

In addition to the last vet visit and shipping our remaining belongings, we just need enough to check our bags when we fly.

Here on GoFundMe, we’ve raised $1,736 as of the time of this post. We’ve also received $935 in direct donations for the move. That makes the grand total of what we’ve raised $2,671.

Because of the changes explained above, we are increasing our goal to $4050. We will continue to update accordingly, and account for any funds sent directly.

Thank you again for all your generosity! All your kindness in helping us stay afloat is more appreciated than words can tell.

Please keep sharing the fundraiser so we can push on toward reaching our goal!

Damn that was a lot of money for what were essentially wellness exams/vaccines for their cats.  They should have found a cheaper vet. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, keepercjr said:

Here on GoFundMe, we’ve raised $1,736 as of the time of this post. We’ve also received $935 in direct donations for the move. That makes the grand total of what we’ve raised $2,671.

... what is the difference here between "raised" and "direct donations"? As far as I can tell everything has been a donation. 

Seriously if I were their family at this stage I'd be at the point of "forget flights, here's a cheap car to get you here with your stuff."

Also Art is still stuck on basic Marxism on Facebook, without even the slightly broader categorisations of petit bourgeoisie, lumpenproletariat and landlords thrown in. You'd think they'd notice the latter at least.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, keepercjr said:

Thank you again for all your generosity! All your kindness in helping us stay afloat is more appreciated than words can tell.

I am SPEECHLESS! “All your kindness in helping us stay afloat” is what you say after your house burned down and the community pitches in or you lost your job because of cancer and friends and family set up a meal service for you. It implies that you are doing your best and need extra help for a limited time. You do NOT say it to the people who fund your lifestyle on a monthly basis indefinitely while you complain of ever more things you are totally entitled to. 

W.T.F!?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

"Because of the changes explained above we are increasing our donations." One more bingo square knocked out. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

You are not entitled to own cats when you can't even look after yourself.  Get so fucking real Art.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

On 6/13/2024 at 1:04 PM, Maggie Mae said:

We all know it isn't. I also suspect that they aren't intelligent enough to look at different ways to ship their items - they can put books and media together and use media mail, and ground shipping (used to be parcel post) for the rest of their stuff. But USPS doesn't really suggest different types of shipping, and Art strikes me as someone who goes and waits in line, and then has a panic attack about having to talk to someone, and then will just pay the 1st class price.  They would have to be shipping extremely heavy items to the furthest location possible in the US for it to be almost $100 per box using USPS Ground. 

I really do not think they even try.  They could find cheaper ways to ship boxes and they could take the cats to a charity vet but they do not even do that.  It is like price is no object.  They just assume that people will just keep giving them money whenever they want it.  They do not feel any obligation to their donors to spend wisely because they deserve the best.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Seriously if I were their family at this stage I'd be at the point of "forget flights, here's a cheap car to get you here with your stuff."

I'd be willing to bet the cost of the rest of arts boxes that the flights were paid for by miles. 

6 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Also Art is still stuck on basic Marxism on Facebook, without even the slightly broader categorisations of petit bourgeoisie, lumpenproletariat and landlords thrown in. You'd think they'd notice the latter at least.

I wish I knew more about this, but I don't. Art does like to rail on landlords, though, and doesn't seem to realize that "landlord" can mean someone who sublets part of their property to help with rent/mortgage, someone who has a second home that they rent below market price, a slumlord, or giant corporations who buy up all housing in an area and let it sit empty. Nor do they understand anything about how much of the housing crisis is shaped by public policy, and people like themselves who refuse to be involved beyond posting garbage memes on facebook. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Too bad they refuse to work. They could do social media management for any number of small organizations. I'm curious who these mysterious donors are and why they aren't matching funds for a 501c3 organization that has a mission statement and oversight. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Too bad they refuse to work. They could do social media management for any number of small organizations. I'm curious who these mysterious donors are and why they aren't matching funds for a 501c3 organization that has a mission statement and oversight. 

I understand donating directly. I support a number of creators on patreon. But I'll join you in wondering why people continue to give them money.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm curious who these mysterious donors are and why they aren't matching funds for a 501c3 organization that has a mission statement and oversight. 

That's you assuming there IS someone matching donations and it isn't just a ploy to add a little urgency to their push for donations. A normal person would just give them the 350$ and a company would want recognition. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, MariaariaM said:

That's you assuming there IS someone matching donations and it isn't just a ploy to add a little urgency to their push for donations. A normal person would just give them the 350$ and a company would want recognition. 

They have announced the "matched" donations before.  Not for this particular grift but for their living expenses in the last year.

• Upvote 1

100$ to ship one single box. That can’t be right. Here (Germany) I could ship a massive box (up to 70 lbs) for the equivalent of 22 USD.

• Upvote 1