IGNORED

Homeschooling Survivor Interview

lostmermaid

I think this interview will be of interest to many who read here: https://rlstollar.com/2023/02/12/my-parents-abused-me-an-interview-with-hallie-ray-ziebert/?fbclid=IwAR0FR05Rbq4O4_tIj5IHvMuspVU2ku4RxL-B9GCLv9aWpvPCpycZfjivFqg

She is the daughter of homeschool "researcher" Brian D. Ray. It is predictably heartbreaking for all the usual reasons. She is free now and living her life, which is awesome to hear!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 15

Thank you for sharing this. Hallie Ray Ziebert is eloquent. I liked her descriptions of parenting her children, and reflecting on how her own parents treated her at the same ages. I think that is common in people who are abused as children and later become parents themselves, but she describes it so powerfully.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I saw these threads on Twitter after I saw this interview, and even though they primarily discuss sexual abuse, I think they overlap very well with physical abuse of children. In a lecture VF put out about CPS, the speaker admitted that it would be okay to remove a child from a situation in which their parent was about to kill them, but anything else would be worse because it would disrupt the father’s authority over the family. As long as the hierarchies stay in line, it doesn’t matter what you do to an inferior. 

• Upvote 5
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 2

13 hours ago, Columbia said:

I saw these threads on Twitter after I saw this interview, and even though they primarily discuss sexual abuse, I think they overlap very well with physical abuse of children

Thank you for this, it's a brilliant thread and THE best thing I've ever read on the topic.  It's like pulling on a thread that unravels everything about patriarchy and demystifies all the fundies we follow on fj. 

Key sentence: "If you don’t believe in bodily autonomy, trauma, mental illness, or unredemptive suffering, then it’s hard to know why abuse is actually bad."

For some reason the ThreadReader app won't unroll these two threads, but TrinityMedia has an audio version: 

Part 1

Part 2

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

• 2 weeks later...

Another fundamentalist homeschooling take on child abuse. Apparently this guy is a J6 seditionist and seems to be one of the early crop of Michael Farris’ protégés. 

B85CC013-8ADC-4CDD-B2CC-36FC0556C5A8.jpeg

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 8
  • Thank You 2