IGNORED

US House of Representatives 4: Day One And The Clown Caucus is Already in Disarray.

GreyhoundFan

Poor Qevin, he was defeated on the first vote. It's up in the air who the next speaker will be.

Continued from here:

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I’m cooking my dinner and have popcorn at the ready. Let’s go vote 4! 

OneKid says she will go to the grocery store later. I put popcorn on the list

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, onekidanddone said:

OneKid says she will go to the grocery store later. I put popcorn on the list

I already have some popcorn, but maybe not enough.

I'm trying to be positive.  The delay keeps George Santos from being sworn in but a Speaker in place will allow (hopefully effective) proceedings against him.  Santos has arrived in DC, refused to speak to reporters, and locked himself and his staff in his office:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/politics/george-santos-races-by-media-scrum-in-dc-ignores-questions-then-staff-locks-office-door/4026054/

May the week get progressively worse for him.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Kevin won't do anything to Santos. He's probably already made some kind of deal that if he doesn't sanction Santos then Santos will vote for him.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 7

After Qevin lost the third vote, the House adjourned until tomorrow afternoon.  I love this picture of sad Qevin:

image.png.bc5cbb23df852362f666bd34bfa7eab0.png

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

I already have some popcorn, but maybe not enough.

I'm trying to be positive.  The delay keeps George Santos from being sworn in but a Speaker in place will allow (hopefully effective) proceedings against him.  Santos has arrived in DC, refused to speak to reporters, and locked himself and his staff in his office:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/politics/george-santos-races-by-media-scrum-in-dc-ignores-questions-then-staff-locks-office-door/4026054/

May the week get progressively worse for him.

Prosecutors in Brazil are on the case??! Wow. This one is a doozy. 

• Upvote 9

I love Ted:

image.thumb.png.22a68987a3be5c068b01c4b8f51aaada.png

• Haha 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

After Qevin lost the third vote, the House adjourned until tomorrow afternoon.  I love this picture of sad Qevin:

image.png.bc5cbb23df852362f666bd34bfa7eab0.png

Damn. I wish it would have been settled tonight. Going into tomorrow leaves too much room for blackmail, arm twisting and deals with the devil. Well since they are all evil I suppose every deal is with one devil or another. 

• Upvote 5

This makes me laugh:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

I feel like I'm watching rats and roaches trying to out-rat and out-roach each other.  Seriousness of the situation aside, I'm finding this quite amusing.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I was reading a CNN article about the charges against Santos in Brazil.  His mother was a caretaker for a client.  Santos stole that client's checkbook from her purse and, using fake ID, bought $1,100 worth of clothes/shoes.  The clerk who sold him these items was on the hook to pay the store back.  There was no explanation why his mother had a client's checkbook in her purse. 

Santos is looking a lot like a true sociopath - zero moral center and is a 100% emotionally disordered man.  Likely a despised pariah in Congress; he'll be radioactive and approached only by people who need to use him. 

He'll face legal charges here in the US and will likely be convicted of those charges at some point, but he won't resign voluntarily -- y'all, he has zero shame and HE'S GETTING A FAT PAYCHECK ($174,000) AND GREAT HEALTH INSURANCE. 

Laughing a bit, because likely that paycheck won't start until he's sworn in.  This may be an issue on electing a Speaker of the House -- will paychecks be stalled  until everyone is sworn in?  

• Upvote 12

I think I've found a new Speaker of the House for the Repubs.

418235756_Screenshot(12414).png.1313a6d8e6ae2bed905379f2b331317f.png

Nope.  Never mind.  He's too smart for that crop of rightwingers.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm waiting for Qevin to move all of his crap out of the Speaker's office. 

I'm also afraid of what will happen if, say, Marge is elected speaker.   

Fantasy life: A few Republicans with a spine propose a moderate, or just throw in the towel and elect Hakeem Jeffries. 

• Upvote 8

Poor Stephen Colbert. His NY resolutions only made it 2 days at best. 

Stephen Colbert took great delight in breaking his New Year’s resolutions on Tuesday’s episode of “The Late Show.”

Colbert said during his first show back after the holidays that he’d vowed to drink less and “not gloat when bad things happen” to Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) in 2023.

He then took a long swing of bourbon and dissected the “day of pure, uncut, Peruvian blue-flake schadenfreude, watching the GOP stab each other in the throat” as a group of right-wing House Republicans joined Democrats to block McCarthy from getting the speaker’s gavel.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stephen-colbert-kevin-mccarthy-speaker_n_63b52c87e4b0d6f0b9f69751

Edited by AnywhereButHere
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic