IGNORED

US House of Representatives 4: Day One And The Clown Caucus is Already in Disarray.

GreyhoundFan

Well I’m off to sleep my FJ lovelies.  See in the morning.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

That was my first thought - he forgot which alias he's been using lately.

Try calling yourself Fred Demara, "George."

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

From the article, CNN — "Kevin McCarthy is so desperate to be speaker, he’s ready to gut his own power just to get the job. The California Republican unveiled major concessions on Wednesday evening after he was stung by right-wing radicals who blocked his bid for power in six humiliating votes – a farcical debut for the new GOP-led House.The moves – just proposals for now that have not been agreed upon – could not only enshrine the chaotic instability of the tiny new Republican majority, they could also make him a permanent hostage of his party’s most extreme voices."

Edited by Destiny
Remove extra line breaks
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

Welp, 7th vote goes almost exactly like it's predecessors. Only difference was Matt Gaetz who pulled a stupid and decided to cast his vote for ex-president Fucknut. 

Good times. Good times.

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 5

23 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Welp, 7th vote goes almost exactly like it's predecessors. Only difference was Matt Gaetz who pulled a stupid and decided to cast his vote for ex-president Fucknut. 

Good times. Good times.

Sweet Rufus. Was TFG really nominated or was Matty just being cute 

• Upvote 1

The longer this goes on, the more likely it is that whoever is the Speaker will be held hostage by a small minority of members.  We will have the priorities of the House determined by MTG, Gaetz, Jim Jordan, and their ilk.  What a disaster.  

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Sweet Rufus. Was TFG really nominated or was Matty just being cute 

Oh, he definitely thinks he's cute, but he seriously nominated him! We're heading into vote #8

image.png.3ec57189a68130b973839a7663793c2a.png

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

Can someone explain why they keep taking these doomed votes?

I mean, generally if you want to calm a tantrumming toddler it’s better to step over them and continue with life or sit next to them engrossed in something fascinating. Negotiation is futile.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Feels like this is my new evening ritual now: dinner, watch the GOP fail to elect a speaker, yoga with Adriene, bed.

I wonder whether I’ll have finished my thirty days of yoga before they are done? 

Just now, noseybutt said:

Can someone explain why they keep taking these doomed votes?

I mean, generally if you want to calm a tantrumming toddler it’s better to step over them and continue with life or sit next to them engrossed in something fascinating. Negotiation is futile.

My guess is because they can’t even agree on what the next step to avoid taking doomed votes should be so they keep on doing it in the hope the other side will cave first.

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, Shrubbery said:

My guess is because they can’t even agree on what the next step to avoid taking doomed votes should be so they keep on doing it in the hope the other side will cave first.

Makes sense, sort of. I guess I’m wondering if there is a procedural reason. It just seems so bizarre. So much losing!!! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

At this point Kevin has offered his eternal soul if they will vote for him and they turned him down. At what point does he realize all he is doing is humiliating himself? Even if he does manage to win he has revealed how weak he is. Dude needs to gather up the shreds of his dignity and let them try to vote in someone else. Let someone else have a turn failing to become speaker.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

Kevin McCarthy has lost seven times which is equal to the number of Super Bowls Tom Brady has won.

• Haha 8

So now we have Gaetz and Boebert being "cute" 

Boebert teased that she was voting for a Kevin, and then nominated Kevin Hern (whoever the hell he is...). Gaetz doubles down on Fucknut. Because that's just what these proceedings need are these little, childish gotcha games...

Poor Donalds. Only took two rounds for him to start hemorrhaging votes. 😂

• Haha 8

13 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

So now we have Gaetz and Boebert being "cute" 

Boebert teased that she was voting for a Kevin, and then nominated Kevin Hern (whoever the hell he is...). Gaetz doubles down on Fucknut. Because that's just what these proceedings need are these little, childish gotcha games...

Poor Donalds. Only took two rounds for him to start hemorrhaging votes. 😂

Hey Gaetz and Boebert (and the rest of you freedom caucus whackos members), you know what would annoy McCarthy? If you voted "present". It would be hilarious. Don't worry about who would be speaker if you do. Just do it, trust me.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

30 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I've been thinking of this from Hamilton lately.

Hide contents

Hamilton GIF

You're gonna need congressional approval and you dont have the votes.

• Upvote 3

One of these guys not voting for McCarthy, Bob Good (sp?) I think, is wearing a tan suit - how dare he??? Doesn’t he realise politics is a serious business and he’s making the USA the laughing stock of the world in that thing?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Shrubbery said:

One of these guys not voting for McCarthy, Bob Good (sp?) I think, is wearing a tan suit - how dare he??? Doesn’t he realise politics is a serious business and he’s making the USA the laughing stock of the world in that thing?

Wonder what kind of mustard he puts on his sandwich. 

Is Kevin so stupid he thinks any deal he makes would be honored by BoBo the clown and Gaetz? Deal? What deal? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Does the „gentleman“ from Montana want to be the next throwaway nominee from the GQP or why has he been ranting for ten minutes now and not been addressing his supposed nomination of Donalds at all? Right now he’s telling us about property development and his dearly departed mother …

ETA: and now Boebert thinks she’s having an Elle Woods moment 🤦🏻‍♀️ spoiler alert: she’s not.

Edited by Shrubbery
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

Did McCarthy deny the 2020 election? I cant remember.

I believe he did at first but changed his tune after the January 6th attack

• Thank You 3

21 hours ago, Howl said:

Laughing a bit, because likely that paycheck won't start until he's sworn in.  This may be an issue on electing a Speaker of the House -- will paychecks be stalled  until everyone is sworn in?  

Apparently they're all getting paid, which is a pity... I suspect some might actually start negotiating in better faith if they weren't.

2 hours ago, Becky said:

The longer this goes on, the more likely it is that whoever is the Speaker will be held hostage by a small minority of members.  We will have the priorities of the House determined by MTG, Gaetz, Jim Jordan, and their ilk.  What a disaster.  

If I was a moderate I'd have switched to the next top candidate by now, Democrat or not, in the interests of having a functioning government. There's no reason the Speaker has to be from the majority party. And if they're a good compromise candidate then great. And then I'd work very hard to get work very hard to get the 20 "freedom fighters" out.

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

Makes sense, sort of. I guess I’m wondering if there is a procedural reason. It just seems so bizarre. So much losing!!! 

And yet, so much popcorn.

33 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Is Kevin so stupid he thinks any deal he makes would be honored by BoBo the clown and Gaetz? Deal? What deal? 

I think Kevin has no intention of honouring any deals either - once he's in it's harder to get him out, and he will have more power.

27 minutes ago, Shrubbery said:

ETA: and now Boebert thinks she’s having an Elle Woods moment 🤦🏻‍♀️ spoiler alert: she’s not.

For some reason this is making me laugh much more than it probably should. Is she wearing pink?

Apparently the record for number of votes was set in 1855 - can they beat it, and will we be here till May in that case?

• Upvote 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic