IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout 15: More Information Is Being Revealed About The Big Lie

GreyhoundFan

Just now, fraurosena said:

Is anyone else secretly enjoying the argument between the witnesses about the 'inartful' sentence vs 'pristine' sentence? 

I just want one of them to say "it was a perfect sentence," a la Trump, with a twinkle in their eye.

OK, no I don't - this is serious stuff and I am taking it seriously. But my mind wanders . . .

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

LOL, apparently Trump is posting on Truth Social: "I demand equal time!" 

Oh, Donnie, we'd all love to see you testify in a public hearing.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 7

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

LOL, apparently Trump is posting on Truth Social: "I demand equal time!

I hope he gets lots of time...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

2 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

LOL, apparently Trump is posting on Truth Social: "I demand equal time!" 

Oh, Donnie, we'd all love to see you testify in a public hearing.

He has less than 16,000 likes on that.  Partly, this is because Truth Social is a pitiful platform.  He must be furious that he no longer has access to Facebook or Twitter to stir up his mobs.  He's basically just out there yelling into a void.  It warms my heart.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

In other "unimportant things I've noticed" news, Judy Woodruff of PBS is wearing the same Escada dress she was wearing the day of the insurrection, that had me trying to figure out how it was constructed.

THAT‘S where I knew that dress from! Thanks for finding the answer to a question I only subconsciously knew I had.

On  the topic of 6th Jan reminiscing (wrong word for a horrible memory in general? But a single bright light in there?) I love seeing Lisa Dujardin as reporter/expert on PBS, she was awesome that day,

• Upvote 5

As soon as someone said Trump called Pence a "wimp," I thought "surely he also called him a pussy," and, sure enough . . .

5 minutes ago, Shrubbery said:

On  the topic of 6th Jan reminiscing (wrong word for a horrible memory in general? But a single bright light in there?) I love seeing Lisa Dujardin as reporter/expert on PBS, she was awesome that day,

For all of the horrible things we saw that day and since, this image of her doing her job from a hiding place is one of the ones that stays with me the most.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

Smooth move, asking Jacobs about how his faith sustained him on Jan. 6...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

They’re really coming after Eastman, hard. Gives me some hope they think there might be gold to strike there, especially with the prospect of the Ginni Thomas mails.

if this were a jury trial and I a juror, I’d find his request for a pardon after the insurrection especially damning.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

I also want to say that Jacobs, and Luttig, and especially Cheney, are the type of conservatives I’ve last seen on The West Wing. I may not always agree with them but I can follow their arguments and they’re rational and it feels like you could talk to them and find they’re, like, regular human beings … haven’t felt that with a Republican probably since Alan Alda was  Arnold Vinick. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Big news. Huge, even.

DOJ letter requesting transcripts of all depositions as "[..] it is now readily apparent that interviews that the select committee conducted are not just potentially relevant to our overall criminal investigations but are likely relevant to specific prosecutions that have already commenced [...]

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 10

Aha…!

not that she’ll agree, but still…

Oh. Now I’m embarrassed.

Turns out Judge Luttig has a stutter…

Damn. Now I feel bad for opining on his speech pattern.

:pb_redface:

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I hope he gets lots of time...

Part of me wants to see him treated just like traders and deserters and seditionists used to be treated. The more logical part says that would just make him a martyr for his cause and insight more rebellion.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Preferably a very large, very heavy book.

How much clearer does this stuff have to be, before they start charging people? There was a literal attack, planned ahead of time, assisted by sitting lawmakers and encouraged by the then-president, against the Capitol of the United States. By a combo of luck, skilled security and police, self-preservation and some built-in security measures - plus incompetence on the part of most of the attackers - no one in congress was killed. But that's absolutely what the goal was.

I really think that part of the problem they had was that the attack included the crowd from the rally, many of whom were not party to the actual plan. If it had just been the ones in on the planned attack, it would have been far more dangerous. The rando magats coming from the rally got in the way and created chaos, making it difficult to follow the actual plans that had been made. The leaders of this attempted coup apparently thought they could hand out copies of the plan to the randos and get them in on things. Like they'd actually take the time to read something. Anything. 

The document linked above calls for a sit-in, but basically leaves a question mark about how to end things and what to do if their demands were met... not to mention their demands being things that are often decided on a state level, and all election related meaning they couldn't be met until years after anyway.

I suspect that "plan" document is the general public version. I strongly doubt that the people armed with bear spray and plastic cuffs and dressed in tactical gear were going to just sit in there and chant until someone said "sure, sure, we'll make your demands law. Move along now."

They were out for blood. They were planning to take hostages. The handout version of their plan couldn't say so, of course, but I would bet money that was the real plan. They weren't ever going to get the whole country to switch to in person paper ballot voting only by sitting around chanting slogans, no matter how many buildings they took over. One of their slogans was No Trump, No America." THAT'S what they were really after. They wanted to overturn the election and install Trump as emperor, basically. 

Here's the law about treason:

It seems like it might be time to take a look at that, frankly. There's a big difference between "death" and "5 years in prison plus a $10,000 fine". 

Agreed. I'm guessing there are levels of treason, ranging from inadvertently aiding through to full support. Presumably that's the same with sedition.

And yes, I don't think they had really planned a peaceful sit in protest with pipebombs, arms stashes, and all the things they took with them. 

I bet there are written records of the actual plan somewhere though...

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

In other "unimportant things I've noticed" news, Judy Woodruff of PBS is wearing the same Escada dress she was wearing the day of the insurrection, that had me trying to figure out how it was constructed.

Mesh.  I remember the debate about the dress.  Someone found it online.  

• Upvote 4

I forgot about Pence refusing to get into the car. As much as I dislike him, it’s a damn good thing he was tipped off or somehow had a sense there was probably a plot afoot that would not end well for him. He ultimately did the right thing and certified the election (and who knew Dan Quayle would turn out to be the voice of reason?!?!) 

I can’t find it now but one of you surmised that the carefully laid plans got screwed up by the chucklefucks who weren’t part of the planning crew but, riled up by DJT’s speech and promise he was going to go with them to the Capitol, swarmed all over and got in the way. With the disclosure of the plans, the tour with picture taking, and the timeline of events that theory makes complete sense. The evidence is coming out that planning had been going on well before 1/6; we are seeing the written plans; and evidence that members of certain groups affiliated with the planning had left to go to the Capitol BEFORE DJT had finished his speech and called for the crowd to go to the Capitol. Ironically, in his usual way, DJT promised (but did not deliver) and his idiotic followers ate it up. They went en masse to the Capitol and, it appears, muddled up the planned coup. I had always believed some of the people had pre-planned to attack and riot because how in the hell did the gallows get built so quickly (as well as other red flags.) But I did and do still think some of the rioters made their criminal decisions on the spot rather than having planned it before getting all ginned up by their Dear Leader’s words. How very ironic, then, if it was indeed true that the planned coup was thwarted by the very people who are blindly devoted to DJT? (Of course full credit goes to the officers as well as civilians including Congressional staff who acted quickly, bravely, and wisely to keep deaths and injuries as low as possible and to get Comgressional members and staff to safety.) 

• Upvote 12

14 minutes ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

who knew Dan Quayle would turn out to be the voice of reason?!?!) 

As insane as everything has been for the past six years, that is the thing that really makes me think I will wake up any minute, and it will all have been a dream.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

Geez- I reread my last post and I don’t know what happened but I guess my mind was faster than my fingers. My sentences were grammatical and punctuation nightmares so my sincere apologies. What I attempted to convey was that the timeline supports the theory that the run of the mill MAGAt who derived inspiration from Trump’s over the top rhetoric probably and ironically got in the way of the people who has been planning the coup; therefore inadvertently seriously hindering the planned coup from happening. If it is accurate, it would be one of the greatest self-owns in history. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

I had always believed some of the people had pre-planned to attack and riot because how in the hell did the gallows get built so quickly (as well as other red flags.) But I did and do still think some of the rioters made their criminal decisions on the spot rather than having planned it before getting all ginned up by their Dear Leader’s words.

There were certainly a lot of sheep who followed the mob but I am so happy their sheepiness and particularly social media documenting skills proved so helpful!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Just finished watching my recording of yesterday's hearing..... devastating, just devastating.  A few thoughts:

I find myself admiring Mike Pence's strength of commitment to his constitutional duty and to the country.  I am grateful to him and his staff for holding firm in the face of incredible pressure.  That is what integrity, courage, and patriotism really look like.  

Trump may never be indicted on this, but I hope it makes him ineligible to ever hold public office again, whether by legal action or simply because it becomes anathema even to the Republicans to support him.  Hope!  It's been a long time since I felt that.

Judge Luttig's final statement is chilling.  I think he is correct, particularly with many "election deniers" currently running for office in critical states.  Trump and his fascist supporters have learned from their failure in 2020 but they have been emboldened by how close they came to succeeding.  This is not over by a long shot.  

Also - John Eastman is going down.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Becky said:

I find myself admiring Mike Pence's strength of commitment to his constitutional duty and to the country.  I am grateful to him and his staff for holding firm in the face of incredible pressure.  That is what integrity, courage, and patriotism really look like.  

All politics aside, Mike Pence was a hero in January 2021.

I can't abide his religious fervor, I can't stand his political views, and I condemn his sycophancy of Trump during his tenure, but I don't think we can deny that Pence, almost singlehandedly, saved the US from falling into a Trump dictatorship. And for that, he deserves recognition and credit.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic