IGNORED

Mary Kay Letourneau Died of Cancer

adidas

On 7/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, nausicaa said:

I bet becoming the age she was when this started was a big eye opener for him in just how much more maturity, life experience, power and control she had over him. Has anyone seen this bizarre interview where she keeps asking him "Who was the boss? Who was the boss?" clearly trying to still manipulate him? At the 10:10 mark for those who don't want to watch the whole thing.  Also if you had any doubts that this woman is batshit crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mowKsGWuW4&t=27s

That was nuts! She was definitely trying to put all the blame on him for pursuing her, but I wish the interviewer had asked her why she didn’t report the behavior.

• Upvote 2

I read the article linked by @hoipolloi and there is a statement attributed* to Mary Kay's atty and 'some' psychiatrists: <<Yet Letourneau’s attorney, and some psychiatrists, argue that the disgraced teacher is a sick woman, not a criminal.>> I believe this statement is irresponsible and damaging to everyone, and hurts true attempts to get many people to understand or empathize with mental illness. 

She committed a crime ---> she's a criminal. Being an alcoholic isn't a crime, but driving while impaired, and worse, maiming or killing someone in an accident are crimes. Having a mental illness is not a crime, but people with mental illnesses can commit crimes. A mental illness may explain a crime, but it does not negate a crime.

* I always like to add that some journalists/writers/editors do not always quote the original source accurately. 

• Upvote 8

The attorney who winked while discussing a child being raped on Mary Kay's roof was icky. That made my skin crawl.

• I Agree 6

18 minutes ago, moreorlessnu said:

The attorney who winked while discussing a child being raped on Mary Kay's roof was icky. That made my skin crawl.

I was speechless at him, too! How do you laugh at that?! I would’ve understood a very serious “I can’t speak on that,” but to shrug it off like he did?! Disgusting!

• Upvote 5

On 7/10/2020 at 7:11 PM, nausicaa said:

I bet becoming the age she was when this started was a big eye opener for him in just how much more maturity, life experience, power and control she had over him. Has anyone seen this bizarre interview where she keeps asking him "Who was the boss? Who was the boss?" clearly trying to still manipulate him? At the 10:10 mark for those who don't want to watch the whole thing.  Also if you had any doubts that this woman is batshit crazy.

Finally watched this. Good god. She needed help that she never got. Or more likely never accepted.  And in the clips with her, his expressions are interesting. It appears he didn’t agree with very much that she said. 

• I Agree 5
  • Love 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:11 PM, nausicaa said:

I saw all that, and it was obvious that Vili was struggling to keep it together.  Vili has clearly checked out but is being polite to Mary.He admitted that being such a young teen with two daughters was overwhelming and there were times when he wanted to just "sink away".  If Mary responded to that, the video doesn't show it.  

It was telling that the interviewer brought up the strange fact that Mary gave permission for Vili to have girlfriends while she was in prison.  Vili wouldn't admit outright that he'd had sex with any of those girlfriends, but...  The interviewer asks if it was true that Mary told him that for every time he had sex, she'd cut off an inch of his penis.  Mary laughs and says it wasn't true.  Vili says that she did say that.  Mary laughs again and said it was just a joke.  Vili doesn't look convinced.

Vili also admitted that when their relationship continued after her second incarceration, he married Mary because he wanted his daughters to be raised with both parents "living under the same roof", because it wasn't something he'd ever had.

Mary's all over the place.  She giggles, acts coy, instructs Vili to admit he pursued her and therefore their sexual relationship was all his fault.  "Who was the boss?  Who was the boss?"  Vili doesn't say he was the boss, he says that he was dared by some cousins to go after the hot teacher, but says that by the time they first had sex the bet wasn't something he thought about anymore.  I'm sure that by that point Vili was taken over by teenaged horniness, and flattery that an experienced woman who knew her way around the world.  He probably felt strong and manly, he won the girl, and he got to have sex.

Mary says when she realized that Vili was sexually interested in her, she told him to "put that thing away", meaning the crush and not that he was showing her his penis.  But she did nothing else.  She didn't remove herself from the situation, have him moved to another class, or talk to anyone else about how he had expressed his attraction to her and how their private conversations led to him telling people that she was his girlfriend.  A couple of weeks later, or maybe even a whole month, she was unable to resist and gave in to her 13 year old admirer.  

My bet:  Mary enjoyed the attention.  Maybe she felt her marriage was stale, and the daily grind of a husband, kids, and a job was boring.  The rush of excitement when a young hot guy who thought the sun and the moon set on her was all she needed to go for it.  Having an affair was exciting and new.  It proved that she's still got it.  

Vili was unencumbered by past experience with women.  Mary could instruct him on how to have sex; she was a teacher after all.  Vili didn't have a job, children, or other things that might prevent him from answering her siren call at her convenience.  The added benefit of having such a young lover meant that she could mold and shape him to be her very own knight in shining armor and still call all the shots at the same time.  Let's not forget the whole "Our forbidden love", "It's you and me against the world", and the old "I tried to resist, but he overwhelmed me with his authoritative manliness that I couldn't refuse".  It's every trashy romance novel come to life.

At any point did she ever see a psychologist?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

At any point did she ever see a psychologist?

Betting she only saw a psychologist or psychiatrist in prison, and because she was required to meet with one. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

@Flossie, Mary Kays marriage was very much on shaky ground when Mary Kay became involved with Villi. It seemed to be implied that Mary Kay and Steve only got married because Mary Kay got pregnant, and they were strict Catholics so getting married it was.  

• Thank You 3
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, nokidsmom said:

I did notice that when he filed for legal separation, he was around the same age as she was when they first got involved.   I wondered if there was some sort of realization then.   There are reports that the separation helped him gain some perspective and I suspect that now she is gone, there may be even more of a shift in how he and even his daughters view the relationship with her.

Above bolding mine, and Also adding what @nausicaa said....  On 7/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, nausicaa said:
"I bet becoming the age she was when this started was a big eye opener for him in just how much more maturity, life experience, power and control she had over him."

So much these two statements above.  The past few years, and this year, i've reached the age that my mom was when she started (and continued) making some very bad decisions when myself and my siblings were young.  It really was (and is) an extremely eye opening experience for me.  I can understand how for Vili, reaching that same age Mary Kay was, could have been a revelation. 

For me, it was a wonderful sense of justification.....I could (and can) say for sure, that my reactions at the time weren't just an emotional teenager.....I was right in my thoughts and feelings, goddammit.  (This previous sentence just applies to my situation, not Vili's).  But this does apply to him --- reaching that age also brings with it the thought of....holy shit, I would be the peer of this person now....I CANNOT imagine doing that crap now....making these bad choices that totally weren't forced, and CONTINUING IT!..... it really is crazy to think of.  I can definitely relate to that "OMG" moment Vili might have had. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2