IGNORED

Coronavirus 2

GreyhoundFan

30 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

That was my reaction. It looks like the swab goes all the way to the back of the skull.

There is no way that Trump is having that done to him every week. Or Pence, Kellyanne, Steven Miller, or Jared. And certainly not Ivanka. Nope, no way, never happening. Not even once.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

Quebec has set a date to open elementary schools in Montreal for May 19.  We got a survey on Monday requesting we let them know whether or not we intend to send our kids back to school for the last month.  I actually really struggled with it, because the kids miss their friends and this is so hard for them, and I don’t love homeschooling, also, I’m a little worried they will fall behind (they are in a French immersion school and I am not really fluent enough to teach them French.  I’m working on learning, but I think they know more than I do at the moment).  But, my sister who is with us is diabetic and my husband has a compromised immune system so yesterday I responded and told them the kids were not coming back this school year.  It’s the right thing to do, but today I’m grieving.  I’m sad that my kids can’t see their teachers (who are just amazing and wonderful) and their friends, who they miss so much.  It’s really hard.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 22

On 4/28/2020 at 8:55 AM, Ozlsn said:

I just do not understand this. I had a look at their figures, and to quote from yesterday:

"The health department website said there were at least 7,171 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus, as well as 288 virus-related deaths in Missouri as of Monday. It's an increase of 174 cases and more than a dozen deaths since Sunday."

Apparently they can test 50,000 per week now, which is helpful.

epi-full-curve-1-1.jpg.fceb9072574a541be93deab4ebf89ec5.jpg

That is not a particularly low number, even if the last bar is significantly down. I suspect it's down because people have been locked down.

I really can't see what they're trying to achieve - are they following the Swedish model of attempting to get herd immunity as quickly as possible, or is this a totally business driven decision?

Either way, I suspect their numbers are going to start spiking again about 11th May as people see this announcement, think "why wait" and go out and get infected.

I think it was in Missouri (it was definitely one of the M states in the USA) where apparently a number of employers had been incorrectly stating the number of employees they had and so weren't paying into the unemployment benefit scheme (and the state wasn't properly monitoring this).  This means that the people who had been working for them found out post COVID-19 that they were ineligible to receive unemployment benefits.  So basically a lot of people are between a rock and a hard place, potentially die from COVID-19, or potentially die from starvation and other effects of having no job.

You have to remember that the treatment of the unemployed in a number of (if not most) states in the USA is significantly worse than Australia (and it's not like Australia is overly generous in normal times, though the unemployment benefit now being higher is much better).

Basically it's a toss up whether the probably shorter term effects and deaths of COVID-19 are going to be worse than the longer term effects of a recession/depression resulting from things being shut down.  Personally what I think is odder is that apparently the hair dressers etc are now booked out for weeks rather than people who can afford these things staying home.

• Upvote 8

42 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

.  So basically a lot of people are between a rock and a hard place, potentially die from COVID-19, or potentially die from starvation and other effects of having no job.

You have to remember that the treatment of the unemployed in a number of (if not most) states in the USA is significantly worse than Australia (and it's not like Australia is overly generous in normal times, though the unemployment benefit now being higher is much better).

There are people here who filed as early as March 15 and their applications have not been processed. I applied March 29. My status is "pending unresolved issues" which are dated April 2 and I was told would be resolved within 21 days. The state contracted an outside firm this week to help process applications and now the State Employee Union is throwing a fit and trying to block that firm from starting. Meanwhile, rent and mortgages are due this week for most people. The result is people clamoring to open up and be able to go back to work because the alternative is losing all financial security. 

We're okay until June. After that, if I haven't received any unemployment, I'm not sure how we'll pay the share of the bills that is paid through my income. And one of them is food. Financial insecurity makes people desperate. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 11

36 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I applied March 29. My status is "pending unresolved issues" which are dated April 2 and I was told would be resolved within 21 days.

I cannot believe this.  My daughter filed right around when you did and can't even log in to see her status.  She's called the number thousands of times and it's busy each time.

193 people processing calls, 250,000 calls A DAY.  I am so angry on your behalf.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

OH HELL TO THE NO.  

I am fucking staying home forever.

A lot of places have switched to something more like a regular q-tip that you do yourself.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I cannot believe this.  My daughter filed right around when you did and can't even log in to see her status.  She's called the number thousands of times and it's busy each time.

193 people processing calls, 250,000 calls A DAY.  I am so angry on your behalf.

Calls are getting a hold time of 3-4 days. I tried the online live chat Tuesday. I was told the wait was like 4700 minutes and should keep the site open and stay by my computer.  For 3.5 days. 
One of the “unresolved issues” on my claim is confirming that I lost employment due to the pandemic. It’s a school. The state closed the schools. For the pandemic. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

A lot of places have switched to something more like a regular q-tip that you do yourself.  

(Clinical lab scientist hat on again).

That long swab that goes so far back is a smaller swab on a flexible wire and is called a nasopharyngeal swab. That was the original instruction for getting a reliable specimen.

There is data now that a nasal swab - shorter swab, more like a one-ended Q-tip - is just as reliable.

All that said, the manufacturer/supplier of whatever test methodology is being used must update their testing instructions to say that the nasal swab is an acceptable specimen for their particular test. Otherwise the testing lab may be in jeopardy for unreliable test results.

There is also recent data that an oral swab may also work. For the most part, the data is not there yet on this. It may in some instances also have to be a whole different test methodology.

Hope this helps someone.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12

It's about time!  I've been waiting for the local (City/county) update for the about to expire stay at home order.  Is it expiring, continuing, changing?

They updated today.  Some things opening but it will be stricter than the state order (which changes May 4).  

https://abc17news.com/news/coronavirus/2020/04/30/boone-county-health-director-signs-covid-19-reopening-order/

This caught my attention - and I'm relieved that while our accidental governor is forging ahead - they do realize this about our county.

Browning said Boone County has made great progress but some other counties in the region have not. Columbia is a service area for much of the region, she said.

"While we’re not seeing as many new cases in Boone County, we are seeing significant outbreaks in ... Saline County, Pettis County and Moniteau County," Browning said.

The recommendations include that those who can work from home do so and for people at high risk of complications from COVID-19 to stay at home.

"We sit in a very delicate spot in Mid-Missouri," Browning said. "That we are on I-70 between all of these hotspots, and so I always have to remind people that it's one thing to look at Boone County but we have to look at the region as well."

I was at the office yesterday (and got to interact with a whole three people while there).  And I discussed what the expectations were as far as returning and when etc with the bosses (2 of the 3) while there.  In short - no time soon.  And hey the county order gives me a fall back.  I will be at the office one week later in May to train new boss while existing boss is on one of his two weeks furlough.  Training is needed in part because I have 2 consecutive furlough weeks in June.  (for which reading above I'm apparently expecting to get paid sometime around the twelfth of never)

• Upvote 7

Right now my state is saying that less-affected areas can start easing restrictions May 8th. I am not in one of the less-affected areas, unfortunately, and in fact we just got a huge spike because they finally got around to testing the inmates at the correctional facility in the area. A huge number asymptomatic but positive in a closed environment with confirmed cases, who'da thunk it?

Grocery runs are unnerving. We're not bad off, but very little pasta and rice still, ditto flour. The cleaning and paper-goods aisles at the store I went to were pretty well cleared out, too; I couldn't even find soap for the dishwasher. At least everyone was polite and careful not to touch each other, and the dairy, meat, and produce were about where they usually are. The empty spaces kind of make the frequent announcements over the store's PA system that more food and supplies are arriving frequently a little surreal.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

It's about time!  I've been waiting for the local (City/county) update for the about to expire stay at home order.  Is it expiring, continuing, changing?

They updated today.  Some things opening but it will be stricter than the state order (which changes May 4).  

https://abc17news.com/news/coronavirus/2020/04/30/boone-county-health-director-signs-covid-19-reopening-order/

This caught my attention - and I'm relieved that while our accidental governor is forging ahead - they do realize this about our county.

I was at the office yesterday (and got to interact with a whole three people while there).  And I discussed what the expectations were as far as returning and when etc with the bosses (2 of the 3) while there.  In short - no time soon.  And hey the county order gives me a fall back.  I will be at the office one week later in May to train new boss while existing boss is on one of his two weeks furlough.  Training is needed in part because I have 2 consecutive furlough weeks in June.  (for which reading above I'm apparently expecting to get paid sometime around the twelfth of never)

Yeah here in Iowa Kimmy (R-Koch Brothers/Idiot) is letting 77 counties start to reopen tomorrow but is making some of the counties wait a bit longer - namely the ones in urban areas.  Dubuque County is one of the counties that has to wait a few weeks.

This is all despite the fact that Iowa's numbers are still increasing and her response is about as fucked up as Sickfuck von Bodybag's has been. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 7

Thursday morning at 7:00 am is when I hunt and gather. I had volunteered to include H&G for a friend who has some landscaping (allowed by state of Colorado) work going on at her house which makes it difficult for her to leave. For some time, I have been almost begging her to take a container of Clorox wipes that we have had since a bulk buy several years ago, since she was running low on her own. She keeps them in the car for when she runs errands. She had been searching for weeks and unable to find any. She had finally agreed to take it so it was already in my car. Much to my amazement I saw Clorox wipes on the shelf of King Sooper so I was actually able to buy her one. There was a limit of one per shopper. I also found some yeast. It is not the yeast that my partner is used to using, but he is willing to work with it. 

It was amazing how little things can seem like such a big victory.

Yesterday, I also managed to schedule grooming for my Miniature Schnauzer at the place he has been going since he was a pup. The receptionist informed me I would stay in the car and they would come get him. He was last done in January so he is overdue. Since he is a snarky little bastard, I am unable to groom him myself. My backup plan was to ask the vet to  do a full clip, sedating him if necessary, so I am glad that dog grooming is available again. Although having dogs that don't shed is great, they HAVE to be regularly groomed. 

I was impressed that almost everyone I saw was masked. My partner was able to find masks in the depths of our garage from when we lived in the country. I had a healthy respect for a nasty little local bug called hantavirus, so I would wear them whenever i was cleaning the garage or outbuildings. 

• Upvote 12

I complain about a lot of things in Kansas but I applied online and was approved right then for unemployment. I got my first check direct deposited 3 days after I filed my first claim. 
I’m sorry so many other posters are having such a hard time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

Not sure I've ever been annoyed by Don Lemon before, but I am atm.  He's going off about how he only goes from work to home and back and is in full on lecture mode about all the people he sees out and about not distancing on the way.

Valid point, I'm with him on that.  Then says he doesn't know who is and isn't essential, but he is coming into work into a mostly empty high rise.

That's not essential.  Lots of shows on many networks are being done from home.  Do yours from home.

Ugh.

• Upvote 8

33 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Not sure I've ever been annoyed by Don Lemon before, but I am atm.  He's going off about how he only goes from work to home and back and is in full on lecture mode about all the people he sees out and about not distancing on the way.

Valid point, I'm with him on that.  Then says he doesn't know who is and isn't essential, but he is coming into work into a mostly empty high rise.

That's not essential.  Lots of shows on many networks are being done from home.  Do yours from home.

Ugh.

Saw him ranting about people wanting haircuts last week and couldn’t help but note that he and his colleagues working in studio aren’t looking like they‘Ve not had a trim since mid March. 

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, fraurosena said:

There is no way that Trump is having that done to him every week. Or Pence, Kellyanne, Steven Miller, or Jared. And certainly not Ivanka. Nope, no way, never happening. Not even once.

My personal opinion, based on nothing but idle speculation, is that everyone important in the WH is receiving/has received infusions of antibody rich plasma from recovered coronovirus patients.  It's a treatment protocol being tested in some major hospitals, used to treat the sickest patients. 

It's the only thing I've read that MIGHT provide some form of immunity.  This could also be why Pence was unafraid to be without a mask* at his visit to a recovering CV 19 patient at the Mayo Clinic -- he knows he has antibodies on board.  It could be why Trump never got sick after he had close contact with an infected person from Brazil early on. 

*Lots of speculation on twitter: Pence didn't wear a mask because it might have displeased Trump. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I haven't watched the video, but whether or not he can work from home and provide a professional broadcast may depend on his home situtation.  I know there is one radio broadcaster in my country who is going in to the studio to broadcast for a few reasons one of which is his home situation, the other is that someone needs to be there in case there are technical difficulties with other presenters.  That being said, given the population density of NYC a lot of those people wandering around could be essential workers or going on essential journeys.

• Upvote 3

Australian update: the ACT is the first state/territory to have officially have no current cases after all previous cases recovered and no new cases identified. Overall there are 6,762 confirmed cases with 16 new cases since yesterday. Overview of where states are at in spoiler:

Spoiler

Victoria is offering drive through testing at ten metropolitan sites (regional sites are apparently opening soon) and is encouraging everyone with potential symptoms to get tested. I am seriously considering going today (although I want to see how long the swab is first!) I don't have symptoms but son does, and I would like to know if he does in fact have it (where he would have gotten it or any other respiratory virus I have no idea, he's barely been out of the house and not in contact with anyone. I'm not convinced he's not spontaneously generating viruses, honestly.) 

The Northern Territory has relaxed restrictions on gatherings, and is currently the least restricted state (also the least densely populated). WA has raised the number of people that can gather to 10, but social distancing is to be maintained - boot camps are back on!  NSW is allowing groups of two adults and children to visit each other's households, which effectively means playdates are an option. ACT, Tasmania and Victoria remain in lockdown until at least 11th May. 

The government tracing app had been downloaded over a million times as of four days ago, no idea where it's at now. There are some issues with it, although I find it amusing that people are discussing the potential data sensitivity issues with it on Facebook, of all places.  

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Saw him ranting about people wanting haircuts last week and couldn’t help but note that he and his colleagues working in studio aren’t looking like they‘Ve not had a trim since mid March. 

Well... I agree about Lemon.

Anderson Cooper cut his own - and it looks OK straight on, but oh my, from the one side, you can sure tell he did it himself. He gouged a big section all the way to the scalp.

Chris Cuomo's wife cut his.

Sanjay Gupta cut his own.

Some of the women are showing roots and some not. So seems like it's a mixed bag on the hair thing.

As for Lemon - and I usually like him - his rants smack of economic privilege. There are many kinds of privilege.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Ugh.

its wearing thin for LIve with Kelly and Ryan 

• Upvote 2

Just an FYI for people looking for yeast, flour, other baking items; if you have an Amish-run bulk food store in your area, give it a try. I've had really good luck finding things there, even when they were sold out at chain grocery and big box stores.

• Upvote 4

Re Don Lemon - Dude - the entire Squak Box crew on CNBC is broadcasting remote every day.  All of them.  And it gets confusing as to which of them is supposed to speak and they talk over each other but they make it work.  Why are you in the studio?  

• Upvote 6

Today's update:

• People who live in disadvantaged neighbourhoods in England are more likely to die of Covid19 than people who live in wealthier neighbourhoods. 55.1 people in 100.000 died in poor neighbourhoods, whilst the number in rich neighbourhoods was 25.3 in 100.000. London has been hit the worst. About 85.7 people in 100.000 died of the virus there. 
  • The death rate in the Netherlands continued to go down last week. However, the death rate is 30% higher than the norm for this time of the year. The number of deaths in care- and nursing homes is also going down, albeit at a slower rate.
    There were 98 corona-related deaths reported yesterday, bringing the total up to 4893.
    There were 85 new hospitalisations, and 475 new confirmed cases, bringing the total of confirmed cases (including recoveries) up to 39.791. 
  • The Spanish economy is taking a nose dive. The Spanish government is predicting a 9.2% downturn for this year, the largest downturn since the civil war of the 1930s. Unemployment is shooting up to 19%. According to the accounts sent to Brussels today, Spanish consumer spending is -9%; investments -25%, import -31% and the GDP -9%.
    A mega hospital in conference halls in Madrid is being closed up today. More than 4000 corona patients were taken care of there. The hospital will remain available until the end of May in case there is a new flare up of infestations.
  • The WHO is going to research if the new corona virus is the cause of a rare and extreme inflammation-disease that has been discovered in children in a number of countries in the past week. 
    The first signs of this unknown and very rare illness came from England on Monday last week; ICU paediatricians issued a warning to be on the alert for similar cases. Most of the children in England tested positive for Covid19, but some did not. Later that week there were reports from Ireland, where less than five children were hospitalised with this unknown illness; then it became known that there were also cases in Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and the US.
    The symptoms of these critically ill children look like those of Kawasaki disease and of toxic shock syndrome. It's probably not either of these illnesses, but a new, unknown disease. 
    The WHO has now asked all paediatricians to be on the alert for this new illness.
  • There is a record high number of new cases in Russia. In the past 24 hrs there were 7933 new confirmed cases, bringing the total number up to 114.431. 
    The official number of deaths is 1169. 
    According to authorities 13.220 patients have recovered so far.
  • China has re-opened the Forbidden City after more than four months of being closed.
    Chinese ambassador to the Netherlands Xu Hong has written an open letter in het Financial Dagblad to the 'Dutch friends', repudiating claims that the virus was made in a laboratory in China, and that China has transparently done everything it could to stop the spread of the virus. The conspiracy theory that the coronavirus is man made is a fabrication that hinders the efforts against the real enemy, said Xu, who emphasised that it's still not clear from which animal the virus jumped over to humans, or even if that happened in China. Although most people presume that the virus was first contracted by humans at a wet market in Wuhan, Xu says the first case in Hubei (where he is from himself) was not from that market at all. Xu says China has quickly, resolutely, honestly and responsibly reacted to the outbreak. His country never withheld any information about the virus. The first case was determined on December 27 in a hospital in Hubei. Within a week the WHO was notified and the virus' characteristics were shared globally on January 12, Xu emphasizes.
  • People in Austria can move about freely again from today. They no longer need a specific reason, such as doing groceries, to leave their homes. People who don't live in the same household must still maintain the 1.5 m social distancing from each other, and face masks are mandatory on public transport and in shops. Gatherings of more than 10 people are still forbidden.
  • Japan is going to prolong its corona crisis state of emergency with an additional month. There are nearly 14.000 confirmed cases in Japan, with 425 corona-related deaths. 
  • Yesterday 2053 corona-related deaths were reported in the US, making it the third day in a row that more than 2000 people died of the virus. The total number of corona-related deaths is now 62.906. There are more than a million confirmed cases.
    United Airlines, Delta Airlines and American Airlines have mandated the wearing of face masks during flights. This should prevent the spread of the corona virus, and also convince reluctant passengers to book flights again. Only young children are exempt from wearing masks.
    Trump has said that he has seen 'convincing evidence' that shows the corona virus originated in a laboratory in Wuhan, China. He refused to say which information he was basing his statements on. Conversely, American intelligence agencies have said that they have confirmed that the virus was not man made or genetically modified.
  • Thank You 12

Wow Russia - that's more cases in Russia in one day than we have in Missouri total

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

And this word from my favorite Law Enforcement Twitter account (no, really LKPD is worth the follow.  They've been known to do live tweetalongs and have a wonderful sense of humor)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10
  • Love 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic