IGNORED

Coronavirus 2

GreyhoundFan

Nearly 300 employees at Triumph Foods in St. Joseph Missouri have Covid19 - and most aren't symptomatic

Kroger limiting sales of ground beef & pork in some stores

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

Covid cases at Lansing Correctional facility in Kansas.  (Lansing is very close to Leavenworth home of Maxhell)

Spoiler

Johnson county Kansas opts to follow governors plan

Spoiler

Illinois modified stay at home order

Spoiler

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

And we have protesting over the closure of Orange County CA beaches (this is why you can’t have nice things)

• WTF 5

Let's spread the virus to protest that we were idiots spreading the virus.

• I Agree 11

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

This is an interesting video. It shows just how far the swab has to go back during a COVID test. Yikes.

I was tested yesterday in New Zealand. I haven’t had contact with anyone infected, have only left the house to go to the supermarket 3x since 23rd March. However I have been really sick for a week and my symptoms match the list of updated symptoms released this week so our local testing clinic has no problems testing to rule out covid.

I can confirm that its not a pleasant test at all. My nose was irritated and so so sore afterwards. Even today (24hrs later) my nostril is itchy and weird.
  • Love 13

Another day, another update:

• Elderly with a higher risk of a severe Covid19 infection should be offered a vaccination agains mumps, measles and rubella (MMR). British research has shown that that an MMR vaccination could lead to a milder case of Covid19. The British researchers awere looking for an explanation for the fact that mainly the elderly are afflicted with Covid19, and that younger generations seem to have less to fear from the virus. In order to do that, they examined if the MMR vaccination, that has only existed for the past 40 years or so, influences the severity of corona infections. The older generations haven't received those vaccinations, whilst the younger generations mostly have.
    It's known that vaccines with live material have an overall effect on the immune system; usually it's a negative side effect, but this time it just might be a positive one.
    British government is debating whether to take the temperature of commuters before they get on the bus, metro or train, in a bid to prevent the spread of the virus on public transport. Prime minister Boris Johnson will be presenting his plans to ease the corona crisis restrictions next Thursday. Current measures advise people to only travel by public transport when its absolutely necessary. 
  • There were 1883 corona-related deaths in the US in the past 24 hrs, bringing the total number of deaths up to 64.700. There are more than 1.1 million confirmed cases.
    American doctors are going to use the experimental drug Remdesivir in the treatment of severely ill corona patients. The FDA has given permission for the use of Remdesivir, that was developed as a possible medicine against ebola, for which it wasn't effective. The drug did seem to work somewhat against SARS, an illness that is closely related to Covid19. 
    It hasn't been indisputably proven that Remdesivir really works. Some early trials show that it might, but others haven't shown any noticeable effect. However, the seriousness of the pandemic an the lack of alternatives has prompted the FDA to green light its use on patients.
  • The daily number of corona-related deaths in Germany has gone down under 100. Yesterday 94 corona patients died, bringing the total number up to 6575. There were 945 new confirmed cases, bringing the total number of cases up to 161.702.
    In her weekly podcast, Chancellor Angela Merkel said more funding is needed for the development of a vaccine against the corona virus. She also called for international cooperation in the search for drugs and vaccines and in the prevention of the spread of corona infections. "Germany is taking responsibility in this, and that's why we will ensure that, once a vaccine has been developed, it will be available to everyone, as well as the needed medication," she said. She said she was glad that a large alliance of governments and private institutions will be working together to enable the development and production of vaccines and medication. 
    The European Commission has organised a virtual donor conference for May 4, for which Germany will deliver a considerable financial donation, Merkel said. She did not specify the exact amount.
  • Spaniards are out en masse today, to cycle, jog or exercise. It is the first time in seven weeks that exercising outdoors is allowed again.
  • The WHO has reacted to the accusations from the US that the organisation was late in issuing its warnings about the corona virus. "We declared an international health crisis on January 30," said chairman Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. "At that time there were 82 registered infections outside of China, and no deaths. All countries had enough time to prepare for the corona virus." Ghebreyesus also emphasised that the WHO sent a team to China at the beginning of February. "Some said that it was too early for that, but we didn't want to waste any time."
  • There were 94 corona related deaths reported in the Netherlands yesterday, bringing the total up to 4987.
    There were 97 new hospitalisations; the total number of hospitalisations is 10.951, including recoveries and deaths.
    There were 445 new confirmed cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases up to 40.236. As not everyone is tested, the actual number of cases is higher.
  • Employees in both public and private sectors in India are obligated to install a Corona-app, that uses gps-information and bluetooth to warn users of possible contact with someone who tested positive. The app has already been downloaded by 80 million Indians. The Foreign Ministry has said companies and organisations are responsible for the use of the app by all their employees. 
    Critics are questioning the user privacy as it is unclear what is done with collected data. 
    The obligatory use of the app is part of the easing of corona crisis restrictions. India has been in a large scale lockdown since March 25. With 37.000 confirmed cases and about 1200 corona-related deaths, India seems to be one of the least affected countries. (Emphasis on seems, of course.)
  • There were 82 new corona-related deaths in Belgium yesterday, and 128 new hospitalisations. 60 corona patients left the ICU, bringing the total number of ICU patients down to 689.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 13

Wow re the MMR vaccine.  I was given a measles vaccine at school in 69 or 70.  Got another one in 76 or 77 because outbreak at school. I missed vaccine day at school. Mom took me to dr and the year I had measles vaccine I in kindergarten was a mixed year of live/dead vax so they gave me another (long before the advice of getting boosters at about the same age) and the. A third on in 83 during army basic training (a subject I should take the time to blog about) because I didn’t have my vac papers with me.  

and does this make kids that are if the anti vax population more at risk?  

Oh and Missouri had been trending down in the daily case counts but had a pop up yesterday that I’m guessing is related to the food plant in st. Joseph with a cluster of asymptotic cases that I posted about.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Oh and Missouri had been trending down in the daily case counts but had a pop up yesterday that I’m guessing is related to the food plant in st. Joseph with a cluster of asymptotic cases that I posted about.

DC area is also having an upswing but it appears that some of it, at least, reflects increased testing.  I was glad to see an email reminder this morning that local parks remain closed.

Am wondering whether I can really de-quarantine (is that a word?) the non-perishables I bought on Wednesday.  It has been 72 hours.  Is that enough time to be sure that any virus is sufficiently degraded on all packaging/surfaces?

It's a beautiful day outside.  Sunny and warm.  I'm going to take a walk later and hope everyone else isn't doing the same, though they probably will be. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

and does this make kids that are if the anti vax population more at risk?  

Good point! I wonder if the poor children afflicted with the Kawasaki-like symptoms were vaccinated or not. If not, it might explain a lot.

• Upvote 4

Sunday update:

• The downward trend of corona patients needing ICU care in the Netherlands is continuing. There are now 688 corona patients in the ICU, 20 less than the day before. There are also 382 non-corona patients in the ICU. 
    There were 44 new hospitalisations, the lowest number since March 17, bringing the total number of hospitalisations up to 10.995.
    There were 69 corona-related deaths, bringing the total number of deaths up to 5056.
    There were 335 new confirmed cases, so that the total number of confirmed cases is now 40.571.
  • Spain has reported the lowest number of corona-related deaths since March 18: 164 patients died in the past 24 hours; however this number will be adjusted as registrations on the weekends always lag behind. The total number of deaths is 25.264. 
    The total number of confirmed cases is 216.582.
  • France announced yesterday that there are going to be quarantine measures for travellers from countries where the virus is circulating. However, a lot is still unclear. As of yet there no list of risk areas. Looking at the number of cases in Europe, in theory the quarantine measures could be for European travellers as well. It would mean that all foreigners must go into quarantine as soon as they reach the border, which would be a logistical nightmare, especially when in a couple of weeks the economy will slowly be starting up again. It would be strange if all truck drivers, business-people, employees from across the border would immediately be placed into a two week quarantine.
    A spokesperson for prime minister Philippe says that the list of risk zones will be published soon. He also said that if someone tests positive they would immediately be placed into isolation.
  • There was another record-breaking report of new confirmed cases in Russia yesterday, when 10.633 new patients were registered. The total number of cases in Russia is 134.686, with 1280 official corona-related deaths. Experts point out that the actual numbers are much higher, as there is not enough testing. 
    Despite the large increase in confirmed cases, the Russian government has announced that the restrictive measures will probably be lessened by May 12.
  • In Iran, a number of mosques will be open again starting tomorrow. The mosques are all located in the 132 regions that have been least affected by the corona crisis. Mosques in Iran have been closed since March 15. Iran is also preparing to re-open some schools by the second half of May. Of all the countries in the Middle East, Iran has been hit the worst. According to authorities the corona virus has caused 6165 deaths, with more than 96.000 confirmed cases. 
  • In Britain, the number of families that can't provide itself with enough food has increased enormously, according to reports in The Observer,  based upon information from the Food Foundation. Almost one in five households with children did not have enough food in the past five weeks, which is almost double the number of households before the corona crisis. Food Foundation points out that 31% of children in vulnerable groups, that used to receive a meal in school before they closed down, had no alternative provided for. More than 500.000 children are affected.
  • Arthur Virgillo Neto, mayor of the Brazilian city Manaus, has voiced his hopes that climate activist Greta Thunberg will help with the corona crisis in his city, that lies in the heart of the Amazon. "We need help. We need to save the lives of the protectors of the forest. We are being confronted with a catastrophe; a barbarism," he posted on Twitter. 
    "With much humbleness and for all the Amazonas state does for the world in relation to the environment, I requested the environmental activist Greta Thunberg with all er influence in order to help combat the coronavirus." 
    According to Virgillo Neto, Thunberg can help save the Amazon with 'all her influence and ability to empathise with others'. 
    Manaus is being hit hard with the corona virus. Hospitals lack essential medical appliances and often need to store their many bodies in refrigerated containers.
  • Thank You 12

For fourth straight day, Texas surpasses 1,000 new cases

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The number of new confirmed coronavirus cases in Texas surpassed 1,000 for the fourth consecutive day on Sunday and the number of deaths increased by at least 20.

State health officials reported 31,548 confirmed cases, and increase from 30,522 reported Saturday, and 867 deaths due to COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.

The number of infections is thought to be far higher because many people haven’t been tested and studies suggest that people can be infected without showing symptoms.

This weekend is the first of the state’s re-opening the economy after Gov. Greg Abbott’s statewide “stay at home” order for nearly 30 million people expired on Friday.

Residents were allowed to go back to malls, restaurants, movie theaters and retail stores in limited numbers, although some protests of the closings continued.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

St Louis has single highest day of new cases

• Sad 4
  • Thank You 2

After 2 weeks of reporting fewer than 25 new cases each day, Australia’s had a small jump due to a cluster of cases (19) at a meatworks in Victoria. 6 out of the 8 states and territories here have reported fewer than 5 cases a day (some 0) for the past week, but that number will probably grow as restrictions are eased on visiting friends and family, non-essential shopping, and school closures.

Queensland announced today that the first two grades of primary (elementary) schools and final two grades of secondary (high) schools will return from Monday 11th, with other grades expected to follow 2 weeks later. This is a different approach to NSW, where all students will return one day per week (staggered over the 5 days). Schools in Victoria remain closed to all but children of essential workers.

Among my own friends, there are some who don’t plan on sending their kids to school yet regardless, preferring to wait a couple more weeks and see how it all pans out. I think I’ll be sending my kids on their allocated day - I spoke to my parents on the weekend (Dad’s a biochemist/geneticist and Mum’s a pathologist/haematologist) who were both pretty confident that it’s an appropriate time to ease restrictions and our testing rates are good, so that reassured me a little. The half of the conversation that did NOT reassure me was the part about antibodies (for other corona viruses humans only develop immunity for a year or two) and potential virus mutation (making a vaccine more difficult). 

• Upvote 6

Happy "Opening up Missouri" Day.  (read that in sarcasm font) (me - I'm working from home.  Yes, will be in the office tomorrow for some stuff then back home for the rest of the week and likely all next week.  The week after I need to be in the office all week to train someone).  

Also the WFM SuPURRvisor is being really needy today.  

Spoiler

• Sad 1
  • Thank You 8

Monday's update, a bit later than usual.

• More than a quarter of a million people have died of Covid19 worldwide. With more than 69.000 deaths, the US has the most registered corona-related deaths of any single country. Italy, the worst hit country in Europe, has 29.000 deaths. The UK has 28.734 deaths.
    There are 3.6 million confirmed cases globally; more than 1.1 million patients have recovered.
  • As reported by the New York Times, the American administration is expecting a considerable rise in the number of corona related deaths. According to an internal government report, there will be an estimated 3000 deaths per day by early June. That is almost double the amount of daily deaths right now. The document also projects about 200.000 new cases each day by the end of the month.
    These projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation right back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways as the health care system grew overloaded.
    The White House is distancing itself from the report: "This is not a White House document, nor has it been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force."
  • For the first time ever, the Dutch Remembrance Day services on the Dam in Amsterdam were held without the public present. Only the King and Queen, prime minister Mark Rutte, Mayor Femke Halsema and the president of the National Remembrance Committee were present. The King and Queen laid a wreath at the Monument on the Dam. Two scouts also laid a wreath in name of diverse organisations and authorities.
    These two photo's illustrate the stark contrast between this year and last year:
    Spoiler

Last year:
    image.png.ee0f53d681f2fe0175a262c9ed4232b9.png

This year:

image.png.e532c729ce01ef8e92463bac157d269d.png

I have to say that (in my neighbourhood at least) many more people were flying the flag at half mast today than in comparison to previous years. I noticed the same thing during the Kings Day celebrations last week -- so many more flags where flown. It's as if the corona crisis has somehow underlined our solidarity and community feeling. 
    The number of Dutch ICU patients went down by 5 today, bringing the total number down to 683. 
    There were 26 corona-related deaths reported, bringing the total up to 5082. This low number is explained by the usually late reporting of deaths that occurred during the weekend.
    There were 42 new hospitalisations, bringing the total up to 11.037.
    The number of confirmed cases rose by 199 up to 40.770.
  • After two months of strict lockdown -- the longest in the world -- Italy has eased the corona restrictions a bit. People may venture outside again and family members who live in the same region may visit each other again. 
  • Australian research into the possible effect of the BCG vaccine on the corona virus will be able to be expanded thanks to a 6 million euro subsidy. The BCG vaccine is normally used against tuberculosis, but in the past couple of months there has been research into its effect on the corona virus. The subsidy is making expansion of the research to the Netherlands and Spain possible. 4000 scientists in 13 locations will be able to participate in the research.
  • Researchers at the university in Bonn, Germany, estimate that about 1.8 million Germans have been infected with the corona virus. That is 10 times higher than the official numbers state. The actual number of infections is so much higher, the scientists say, because their research has shown that 22% of the infected are asymptomatic. "Every so-called healthy person whom we meet, can be carrying the coronavirus without them knowing it," researcher Martin Exner said, and he emphasised the need for social distancing and good hygiene practices.
    North Rhine-Westphalia's vice prime minister Joachim Stamp has criticised Chancellor Angela Merkel for dictating the corona crisis policy like a monarch. Merkel is getting ever more criticism over her resistance to easing the corona crisis restrictions. Stamp is threatening to re-open day care centres in North Rhine-Westphalia himself if Berlin keeps prevaricating. "We can't be kept waiting for another week and we'll be going our own way soon," Stamp said. North Rhine-Westphalia's prime minister, Armin Laschet, who is from Merkel's own party, is one of her sharpest critics when it concerns corona-policies. He's advocating a quick easing of the restrictions because he fears a collapse of the economy.
  • Moscow is building temporary hospitals in order to treat the rapidly growing number of corona patients in the city. The buildings should be completed in twenty days, TASS reports. The temporary hospitals would increase the capacity with about 10.000 extra beds. The capital city is the epicentre of the outbreak in Russia. About half of all confirmed cases originated in Moscow. The official number of confirmed cases in Russia is 145.268, but the Mayor of Moscow, Sergej Sobjanin, says the actual number is much higher.
  • France, where 25.000 corona patients have died, is planning to cautiously ease restrictions. From May 11 schools will be re-opened and citizens will have more freedom of movement. Some 300 French mayors in the densely populated Île-de-France region are questioning the easing of corona crisis restrictions in an open letter to the French government. They say its 'unrealistic' to re-open schools so soon. According to the mayors, they need more time to take the necessary precautions, such as being able to ensure the availability of face masks for teachers and students. Transport companies are also worried. SNCF, the national railway company, and other transporters warn that they can't guarantee that passengers keep the necessary distance from each other. 
    The French Employment Department has declined online shop Amazon's request for aid. The American company had asked the French government to take over the payment of salaries for 10.000 employees, after the courts had ordered that Amazon may only sell essential goods. Violation of the order would lead to fines of 100.000 euro per product. Amazon has now shut down its six storage facilities in France. "Even if we make a mistake in only 0.1 percent of our orders, that could lead to more than a billion in fines per week," Amazon said. "We have therefore asked for aid that other companies in France also receive." Unions have responded angrily. They say Amazon's request is scandalous. 
  • There were 59 new hospitalisations in Belgium, whilst 69 patients went home again. This is the second day in a row that less than 100 patients with Covid19 were hospitalised. The total number of hospitalisations is 3044. The number of corona patients in the ICU went down by 19, to a total number of 655. There were 361 new confirmed cases, and 80 corona-related deaths. The total number of deaths is now 7924. 
  • There were 164 corona-related deaths in Spain. More than 25.400 corona patients have died so far. 
    There were 356 new confirmed cases, the lowest number since March 8. Of the total of 218.000 confirmed cases, 121.000 have recovered.
  • Finland is going to ease some of its corona restrictions by June 1. Apart from phased re-opening of restaurants, libraries, theatres and sports accommodations, the Finnish government says that public gatherings up to 50 people will be possible again. From May 14, travel to other countries will be allowed again, albeit only for essential travel to Schengen-countries.
    There are more than 5300 confirmed cases in Finland. There are 240 corona-related deaths. The infection rate is down to 0.8, according to prime minister Marin.
  • During an online conference from Brussels, world leaders and charities started a large scale fundraising effort. Today alone 7.4 billion euro was assured for the development of affordable vaccines, treatments and tests for the coronavirus. The 'donation marathon' is an initiative of the European Union in cooperation with the United Kingdom, Norway, Canada, Japan, Saudi-Arabia and others. 
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

And they're saying the spike in Missouri is related to asymptomatic cases.

• Thank You 6

California is poised to leave stage 1 of shelter at home to go to phase 2 with non-essential manufacturing, some businesses to have in-office employees, and bookstores, florists, clothing stores, etc. to offer curbside pickup.

• Thank You 8

Hahahahahaha 

The National Rifle Association has laid off dozens of employees, canceled its national convention and scuttled fundraising, membership and shooting events that normally would be key to rallying its base in an election year.

The coronavirus pandemic has upended the gun-rights organization during what should be heady times for the group, in the middle of a presidential election and with gun owners riled up over what they see as an effort by authorities to trample on their Second Amendment rights.

The NRA, which boasts about 5 million members, in recent weeks laid off or furloughed dozens of employees, imposed a four-day workweek for some employees and cut salaries across the board, including for CEO Wayne LaPierre. The financial issues, combined with the cancellation of fundraisers and the national convention, which would have surely drawn a visit from President Donald Trump, have complicated its ability to influence the 2020 election.

The coronavirus has exacerbated financial woes that were already serving as a drag on the NRA as it wages legal fights with regulators and its once-loyal marketing firm and faces anger from rank-and-file members over stewardship of the gun group. It's also facing rising public frustration over gun laws in the wake of mass shootings.

Fuck the NRA 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

According to an internal government report, there will be an estimated 3000 deaths per day by early June. That is almost double the amount of daily deaths right now. The document also projects about 200.000 new cases each day by the end of the month.

Holy. Fuck. 

I am seriously just lost for words. 

5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

The White House is distancing itself from the report: "This is not a White House document, nor has it been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force."

While I have no idea whether it has or it hasn't, this would be the time to show some effing leadership and try to prevent this as much as possible. 

Which on reflection was probably why it was leaked in an attempt to put pressure on the WH. Good luck with that guys, you,'d be better off saying Trump stocks will plummet unless social distancing continues.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

Holy. Fuck. 

I am seriously just lost for words. 

While I have no idea whether it has or it hasn't, this would be the time to show some effing leadership and try to prevent this as much as possible. 

Which on reflection was probably why it was leaked in an attempt to put pressure on the WH. Good luck with that guys, you,'d be better off saying Trump stocks will plummet unless social distancing continues.

It was time for fuck face to show some leadership four fucking months ago.  If we had actual leadership at the fucking time we could actually be talking about opening up now.  God I want to move out of this country so bad now.

I do have a question on the estimated number of deaths per day.  Is that just in general or is the 3,000 above and beyond other deaths.  In 2018 there were 2,839,205 American deaths total officially registered.  That works out to about 7,750 deaths per day.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Abigail Disney ain't having any of The Mouse's horse shit these days

Abigail Disney is flabbergasted over the Walt Disney Co.'s decision to furlough hundreds of thousands low-paid workers after paying its executives millions of dollars.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL F***?????" tweeted Disney, the granddaughter of Walt Disney's brother, Roy Disney.

In a Twitter thread Tuesday, the outspoken family heiress slammed Disney's decision to furlough theme park employees after the company paid dividends to shareholders and gave executives big bonuses. Disney hasn't revealed dividend plans for 2020, and the company's top executives took substantial pay cuts because of Covid-19.

The Walt Disney Co. announced earlier this month it's furloughing employees "whose jobs aren't necessary at this time." The coronavirus pandemic has forced a major chunk of Disney's businesses to temporarily suspend operations, including its parks, resorts and entertainment productions. More than 75% of the company's 223,000 employees work for the Parks and Products division.

• Upvote 8

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic