IGNORED

Impeachment Inquiry

GreyhoundFan

"House Democrats consider masking identity of whistleblower from Trump’s GOP allies in Congress"

Spoiler

House Democrats eager to protect a whistleblower who raised alarms over President Trump pressuring a foreign leader to investigate a political rival are considering testimony at a remote location and possibly obscuring the individual’s appearance and voice — extraordinary moves to prevent Trump’s congressional allies from revealing the identity, according to three officials familiar with the discussions. 

Democratic investigators are concerned that without such rare precautions, Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee could learn and then leak the identity of the whistleblower, who has agreed to answer questions before the intelligence committees in the House and Senate.

Democrats overseeing the logistics of the testimony for the House impeachment inquiry are discussing a location away from the Capitol as well as a staff-only session that would prevent lawmakers from attending and asking questions.

Aides have considered having the whistleblower testify from a separate location via a video hookup in which the camera would obscure the whistleblower’s image and alter his voice, possibly with modification technology. They also are talking about having the whistleblower sit behind a screen or partition. A third option being floated includes audio-only testimony. 

“Schiff does not want to burn his identity,” a senior congressional official said.

“There are lots of different protocols and procedures we’re looking into to find out what works and doesn’t work to protect the identity of the whistleblower,” said a different official familiar with the talks. “That is paramount.” 

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to freely describe private deliberations.

The discussion underscores the toxicity between Republicans and Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, which was once considered among the most bipartisan, as the panel spearheads the divisive investigation that could lead to Trump’s impeachment. One individual familiar with the discussions said this is the first time the panel has had to take such extraordinary measures to protect a witness. 

Trump has said he wants to meet his “accuser” and warned of “Big Consequences.” The whistleblower’s complaint centered on Trump’s July 25 call in which the president pressed his Ukrainian counterpart, Volodymyr Zelensky, to investigate former vice president Joe Biden, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

“In addition, I want to meet not only my accuser, who presented SECOND & THIRD HAND INFORMATION, but also the person who illegally gave this information, which was largely incorrect, to the ‘Whistleblower,’ ” Trump tweeted. “Was this person SPYING on the U.S. President? Big Consequences!”

Andrew P. Bakaj, a lawyer representing the whistleblower, sent a letter to acting director of national intelligence Joseph Maguire expressing fears for his client’s safety. Bakaj also noted that “certain individuals” have issued a $50,000 “bounty” for “any information” relating to his client’s identity.

House Democratic chairmen, meanwhile, immediately cried foul and accused Trump of “witness intimidation” — even as some of Trump’s staunchest Capitol Hill allies also began pushing for the disclosure of the whistleblower’s identity. On Sunday, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said that if the House impeaches Trump, “I will make sure” the whistleblower faces public questioning. 

“If the whistleblower’s allegations are turned into an impeachment article, it’s imperative that the whistleblower be interviewed in public, under oath, and cross-examined,” Graham said on Fox News’s “Sunday Morning Futures.”

Details for the whistleblower’s testimony are still being worked out, the officials cautioned. Little can be finalized until security clearances for the whistleblower’s lawyers are resolved so they can begin more substantive discussions about logistics, they said. 

Mark Zaid, one of three lawyers for the whistleblower, said that as of Monday, two have their clearances; the third needs only to sign the paperwork. 

“It’s just a logistics issue,” Zaid said. “It will happen over the next couple of days.” 

The whistleblower’s legal team is also in discussions with the Senate Intelligence Committee about testifying, according to one individual familiar with the talks. The Senate panel, headed by Sens. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), is known for a more bipartisan approach; its staffers are not considering the extraordinary measures being discussed by the House.

The House and Senate committees are expected to meet separately with the whistleblower — both likely away from the Capitol.

The off-campus meetings probably will be in a secure room provided by the executive branch, according to one of these individuals. The meetings could take place “within the next couple of weeks,” but no date has been set, one official said. 

Should the whistleblower testify from another location, the House panel could ask Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson to confirm the identity of the whistleblower. Atkinson, who adjudicated the whistleblower’s complaint in August, determined that the whistleblower’s allegations were credible and constituted an “urgent” concern to national security.

Congressional aides have been discussing the possibility of a transcript from the testimony, but whether the whistleblower’s legal team agrees to that depends on whether the individual’s identity can be protected. The lawyers would not want information shared that could identify the whistleblower. 

The legal team has been hired by a second witness, one who had firsthand knowledge of the events in the complaint. So far, there has been no discussion with Capitol Hill about that person speaking with Congress, the official said. That would require permission from the director of national intelligence, but that’s “pro forma” at this point, the official said.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"House Democrats consider masking identity of whistleblower from Trump’s GOP allies in Congress"

Reveal hidden contents

House Democrats eager to protect a whistleblower who raised alarms over President Trump pressuring a foreign leader to investigate a political rival are considering testimony at a remote location and possibly obscuring the individual’s appearance and voice — extraordinary moves to prevent Trump’s congressional allies from revealing the identity, according to three officials familiar with the discussions. 

Democratic investigators are concerned that without such rare precautions, Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee could learn and then leak the identity of the whistleblower, who has agreed to answer questions before the intelligence committees in the House and Senate.

Democrats overseeing the logistics of the testimony for the House impeachment inquiry are discussing a location away from the Capitol as well as a staff-only session that would prevent lawmakers from attending and asking questions.

Aides have considered having the whistleblower testify from a separate location via a video hookup in which the camera would obscure the whistleblower’s image and alter his voice, possibly with modification technology. They also are talking about having the whistleblower sit behind a screen or partition. A third option being floated includes audio-only testimony. 

“Schiff does not want to burn his identity,” a senior congressional official said.

“There are lots of different protocols and procedures we’re looking into to find out what works and doesn’t work to protect the identity of the whistleblower,” said a different official familiar with the talks. “That is paramount.” 

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to freely describe private deliberations.

The discussion underscores the toxicity between Republicans and Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, which was once considered among the most bipartisan, as the panel spearheads the divisive investigation that could lead to Trump’s impeachment. One individual familiar with the discussions said this is the first time the panel has had to take such extraordinary measures to protect a witness. 

Trump has said he wants to meet his “accuser” and warned of “Big Consequences.” The whistleblower’s complaint centered on Trump’s July 25 call in which the president pressed his Ukrainian counterpart, Volodymyr Zelensky, to investigate former vice president Joe Biden, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate.

“In addition, I want to meet not only my accuser, who presented SECOND & THIRD HAND INFORMATION, but also the person who illegally gave this information, which was largely incorrect, to the ‘Whistleblower,’ ” Trump tweeted. “Was this person SPYING on the U.S. President? Big Consequences!”

Andrew P. Bakaj, a lawyer representing the whistleblower, sent a letter to acting director of national intelligence Joseph Maguire expressing fears for his client’s safety. Bakaj also noted that “certain individuals” have issued a $50,000 “bounty” for “any information” relating to his client’s identity.

House Democratic chairmen, meanwhile, immediately cried foul and accused Trump of “witness intimidation” — even as some of Trump’s staunchest Capitol Hill allies also began pushing for the disclosure of the whistleblower’s identity. On Sunday, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said that if the House impeaches Trump, “I will make sure” the whistleblower faces public questioning. 

“If the whistleblower’s allegations are turned into an impeachment article, it’s imperative that the whistleblower be interviewed in public, under oath, and cross-examined,” Graham said on Fox News’s “Sunday Morning Futures.”

Details for the whistleblower’s testimony are still being worked out, the officials cautioned. Little can be finalized until security clearances for the whistleblower’s lawyers are resolved so they can begin more substantive discussions about logistics, they said. 

Mark Zaid, one of three lawyers for the whistleblower, said that as of Monday, two have their clearances; the third needs only to sign the paperwork. 

“It’s just a logistics issue,” Zaid said. “It will happen over the next couple of days.” 

The whistleblower’s legal team is also in discussions with the Senate Intelligence Committee about testifying, according to one individual familiar with the talks. The Senate panel, headed by Sens. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), is known for a more bipartisan approach; its staffers are not considering the extraordinary measures being discussed by the House.

The House and Senate committees are expected to meet separately with the whistleblower — both likely away from the Capitol.

The off-campus meetings probably will be in a secure room provided by the executive branch, according to one of these individuals. The meetings could take place “within the next couple of weeks,” but no date has been set, one official said. 

Should the whistleblower testify from another location, the House panel could ask Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson to confirm the identity of the whistleblower. Atkinson, who adjudicated the whistleblower’s complaint in August, determined that the whistleblower’s allegations were credible and constituted an “urgent” concern to national security.

Congressional aides have been discussing the possibility of a transcript from the testimony, but whether the whistleblower’s legal team agrees to that depends on whether the individual’s identity can be protected. The lawyers would not want information shared that could identify the whistleblower. 

The legal team has been hired by a second witness, one who had firsthand knowledge of the events in the complaint. So far, there has been no discussion with Capitol Hill about that person speaking with Congress, the official said. That would require permission from the director of national intelligence, but that’s “pro forma” at this point, the official said.

I've been concerned about this. I can see Trump's people causing the whistleblower to have "a little accident" or "choose to end their life", like Jeffrey Epstein.

I'm leaning towards testifying in a costume like on The Masked Singer!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Maybe an orange costume?

That could be arranged... A clownfish? A tiger? Even a stylized palm tree? A monarch butterfly?

• Haha 3

I'm so angry about this. If they don't slap these corrupt bastards with hefty fines and throw them in jail for contempt by refusing to appear and testify, then the Dems are weaklings who don't deserve to rule the country either. And then America is doomed to authoritarian rule, and because of that, the whole world will suffer. I hope the Dems realize this and effing do something today to set an example of what will happen with those who try to stonewall and obstruct justice. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 6
  • I Agree 2

I wonder. If he really wants to testify, and his testimony holds key information about his employer, the State Department, which is now blocking him from testifying... couldn't he just ignore the State Department's command because of their potential conflict of interest/illegality here? Couldn't -- shouldn't he make a stand for the greater good?

Well, it's not much of a guess to say there is mighty incriminating stuff in those text messages. If they were innocuous and innocent, why withhold them?

Pompeo needs to be held in contempt, slapped with fines, thrown in jail and then impeached himself.

• Upvote 7

Here's Schiff talking about it:

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Maybe this belongs in the Senate thread, or Rudy's own thread, but it'll do nicely here as he's only doing this because he thinks it'll somehow show up the House impeachment inquiry.

Rudy being who he is, I'm sure this will backfire spectacularly.

• Upvote 4

Warning, I've hit my head really hard yesterday and have a slight concussion. Maybe that's why I'm not my usual equanimous self, and am feeling really BEC right now.... because fuck all Repugliklans. 

I saw this and started laughing. Bwahahahaha! Sorry, but I can't contain myself. I've just noticed that Jim Jordan is really short! I mean... dude's tiny! No wonder he has to scream all the time. People wouldn't notice him otherwise. Oh, and him combing his hair forward is doing nothing to hide its thinning. Maybe it's because of the acidity levels in his brain. What hair would last on such a sour head? What a moron. Shorty and Bratz-head Gaetz should just fuck off and go bother some BT's. They've lost any credibility they ever had and can only go on name-calling sprees and attack democrats. 

I can't wait for their inevitable downfall.

Fuck them all.

• Upvote 7

@fraurosena -- sorry to read about your injury. I hope you feel better soon. And, yes, Jordan (R-Jerk), suffers from small man syndrome.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

@fraurosena -- sorry to read about your injury. I hope you feel better soon. And, yes, Jordan (R-Jerk), suffers from small man syndrome.

Thanks! It was a silly accident and entirely my own fault. I was bending over under the stairs and when I came up way to fast I hit my head really hard. I've been feeling headachy and queasy ever since, and I guess that's why these idiots and their dumbass defence of the Mango Moron bother me so much today. 

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Thanks! It was a silly accident and entirely my own fault. I was bending over under the stairs and when I came up way to fast I hit my head really hard. I've been feeling headachy and queasy ever since, and I guess that's why these idiots and their dumbass defence of the Mango Moron bother me so much today. 

If you are queasy, I think you should get checked for a concussion. 

• I Agree 4

14 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Thanks for your concern! I called my doctor this morning and she said it probably was a slight concussion, and I should take it easy for a couple of days. So I'm ensconced on my couch with my laptop and listening to Jack Johnson... and posting on FJ... :pb_wink:

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Agreed. Embarrassing story: I actually hit myself on the head while shutting the hatchback on my vehicle (I'm short, so I have to jump up and grab it to pull down and I was just a little too close). I started feeling nauseous and dizzy a few hours later, so I went to my doctor. She sent me to the emergency room to have a CAT scan. Sure enough, I had a concussion. This was right after Natasha Richardson died from a head injury, so I was a little anxious.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Agreed. Embarrassing story: I actually hit myself on the head while shutting the hatchback on my vehicle (I'm short, so I have to jump up and grab it to pull down and I was just a little too close). I started feeling nauseous and dizzy a few hours later, so I went to my doctor. She sent me to the emergency room to have a CAT scan. Sure enough, I had a concussion. This was right after Natasha Richardson died from a head injury, so I was a little anxious.

Oof, that sounds painful! I can relate to your anxiety. It's why I contacted my doctor this morning after I had a sleepless night because my head hurt too much to lie on it. Luckily I have a bed with a mattress that can be elevated to a sitting position, so I was comfortable enough. But she said a scan wasn't necessary as I hadn't blacked out and wasn't feeling confused in the slightest (DH kept asking me what day it was and when my birthday is every couple of hours, lol), so there was no indication of something really serious going on. I do have to call back if my symptoms get worse. Thankfully my two youngest sons are home today and they're taking good care of me. Quite a novel feeling, as I'm usually the one doing the pampering. :pb_wink:

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Warning, I've hit my head really hard yesterday and have a slight concussion. Maybe that's why I'm not my usual equanimous self, and am feeling really BEC right now.... because fuck all Repugliklans. 

I'm so sorry! I hope you feel better soon, we need our resident Pollyanna to keep us out of Anne Shirley's depths of despair. 

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Rufus, from his tweet to your ears. Make it so!

Aunt Crabby has the right of it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Can we talk about embarrassing ways we've concussed ourselves? Because for me, I was 16 and putting on a "fashion show" in my house with my friends. I tripped over my own feet while changing clothes and hit my head on the bathtub. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Just now, front hugs > duggs said:

Can we talk about embarrassing ways we've concussed ourselves? Because for me, I was 16 and putting on a "fashion show" in my house with my friends. I tripped over my own feet while changing clothes and hit my head on the bathtub. 

I was once walking on a flat surface, tripped on my own feet and hit my head on a cement wall. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

You can't make this stuff up.

The comments are hilarious.

Edited by fraurosena
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, SassyPants said:

The discussion here is about Trump using his position and influence to get the dirt on Biden via a foreign leader. You scratch my back or I will withhold military aid to your country.

Somebody on MSNBC today was talking about Barr travelling to foreign countries attempting to get dirt on Biden.  In reality, this is likely Barr's Strong-Arm World Tour where he's saying, "Nice little country; would be a shame if we withheld funding for your military and something bad happened to it."  And the insanity of a US Attorney General traveling to ANY foreign country for ANY reason is so beyond the pale. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7

Looks like Trey noped the hell out.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I did that once (I was trying to shut the hatch in a really crowded parking lot and did not back up far enough) and ended up with 5 stitches and a broken nose!  No concussion, though I felt really crappy for a couple of days.

• Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic