IGNORED

Fundies and Pet Vaccinations

Boogalou

I've learned a lot from this thread, thanks! I just can't wait to move so I can have a dog.

Have any of you added a dog into a family of cats? I'm not sure I'll go with a puppy. I like the idea of going to au rescue or humane group to get a dog who might otherwise be euthanized.

My sister has always had golden retrievers, the last 2 both died of sarcomas. She had heard that goldens are prone to these but maybe it's from the immunizations?

Twice I have added adult Standard Poodles into a caudle of cats. Both dogs loved the kitties, two of the kitties would not give the dogs the time of day, but the others thought that the dogs were their special playfriends. Grendel the Gorgeous died of Addison's, which according to the awesome Doc C. is an especial peril to black standard poodles. So far Simone the Sweet (a stunning redhead who came to us after a truly sucky start in life) glows and only one cat thinks she is a menace to felines everywhere.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the opinion of the kitties than the dog. Do avoid high prey drive breeds (like the greyhounds, even though I really wanted one) and you will most likely be fine.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added 2 grown rescue dogs when I already owned 2 adult cats. The male dog and male cat did NOT get along and basically the dog chased the cat for 2 years straight. Just within the past couple months can the male cat lay in the window in the same room and they finally don't have a big movie chase scene with barking,hissing and running . Both dogs were fine with the female cat from the beginning. She is also the alpha animal in the house and would just walk up to the giant dogs and rub her tail all over their faces to show not to mess with her.

I have catahoula leopard dogs. They are hunters and herders by nature and very protective. They will chase anything.I really want chickens and I know my dogs would kill them so I cannot get them.

I have catahoula leopard dogs. They are hunters and herders by nature and very protective. They will chase anything.I really want chickens and I know my dogs would kill them so I cannot get them.

That's weird because I've been thinking about chickens too. We can have them here in the city, thanks to the Hmong who challenged the city many years ago. We had chickens growing up. I like the idea of fresh eggs.

That's weird because I've been thinking about chickens too. We can have them here in the city, thanks to the Hmong who challenged the city many years ago. We had chickens growing up. I like the idea of fresh eggs.

Four of my friends have chickens and 3 of them are in the city. One just had 3 chickens killed by a raccoon that got into their hutch, so even city chickens have to worry about predators.The only rule of city chickens is usually no roosters. My friend who has them in the suburbs has 3 roosters and they are constantly crowing. I don't know how her neighbors stand it,but she hasn't lost any chickens thanks to the roosters.

Four of my friends have chickens and 3 of them are in the city. One just had 3 chickens killed by a raccoon that got into their hutch, so even city chickens have to worry about predators.The only rule of city chickens is usually no roosters. My friend who has them in the suburbs has 3 roosters and they are constantly crowing. I don't know how her neighbors stand it,but she hasn't lost any chickens thanks to the roosters.

Yes, no roosters allowed. And we have plenty of predators; red foxes, raccoons, eagles, etc. Maybe the neighbors get so used to the roosters they don't hear them. I'm along side a railroad track. I used to wake up everytime the train went through, plus they stop and switch cars here. Now I never wake up to the noise.

Archived