IGNORED

FJ, how do I cook my pumpkin?

Destiny

I would make a puree out of it since most recipes call for pumpkin in that form. Then it can be frozen in small amounts to be used later if needed. 

Here's a Youtube video on how to make puree out of a pie pumpkin - www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIJ0k-YdfjA and here's one using "carving" pumpkins - www.youtube.com/watch?v=18d0GMLR9_w with bonus pie making. Both videos are basically - take the guts out of the pumpkin, cut up the rest, bake it until the fleshy part is soft, scrape it off the rind, blend until smooth.

I like to make pumpkin muffins, using my recipe for banana bread but substituting pumpkin for banana and adding more cinnamon. 

Thanks for this post! I bought a large carving pumpkin for a dollar last night, mostly for the seeds. I will check out the videos on how to use the flesh.

I’m about 80% sure I’m going with the pumpkin pie idea, because the one i have looks like what Bethella linked.

I've only ever used canned pumpkin puree, so my real pumpkins have gone the way of @Maggie Mae's, except we don't have moose in town. So, probably raccoons or skunks ate ours.

For puree, I like the pumpkin bar recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I think this is the one:

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/bars/autumn-pumpkin-bars/

Spoiler

From my cookbook:20181104_231530.thumb.jpg.3e4253334227f4093bc2761286d08c32.jpg

My BH&G cookbook also has a cookie recipe that is almost tiny pies. I can't find the pumpkin version online, just the pecan version.

Spoiler

20181104_231559.thumb.jpg.348a8b55cbd915886bf5d3453333c01f.jpg

Sorry about the notes. I jot things on my recipes.

I also like the pumpkin bread recipe my mom got from a can of Libby's pumpkin puree. As a bonus, it doesn't use egg.

Spoiler

Pumpkin Bread

from Libby's can

Grease 2 loaf pans (bottom only on aluminum)

Sift together:

• 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice

Mix together:

• 2 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cups cooking oil 

Mix wet and dry ingredients by hand. Batter will be heavy. Mix well, but do not beat. 

Add, if desired:

• 1 cup golden raisins 
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Let batter stand 20 minutes before baking. Bake at 350°F for an hour. Test with toothpick for doneness. Slice when cool. 

Makes: 2 loaves (or 4 mini loaves)

All my recipes are sweet desserts. Somehow, I am not surprised. :pb_lol:

Archived