IGNORED

Kavanaugh/Blasey Ford Sexual Assault Allegations Hearing

Cartmann99

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

For me, his explains a lot about him.  This particular fraternity throughout my state has always had a reputation for being the ultimate partiers and the ones girls needed to be wary of.  My sister went to college 6 years prior to me (1989-92(ish))at a totally different school and I remember her stories about them cat-calling girls and grabbing them in plain public view on campus.  Years later, at the state school I attended, I dated a pledge who was basically a shoo-in.  His uncle had been a member and his cousin (the uncles daughter) was that chapter's sweetheart.  He knew he was getting in but he went through the hazing process anyway.  What little I remember from those days, the house parties were insane.  One homecoming was right at the high point of the OJ Simpson trial.  Their halftime skit was the frat, all painted in blackface, on the field doing a sick mockery of the process.  They had shirts made with OJ's mugshot next to a bottle of gin.  The shirt read:  "Gin and Juice makes for a killer party".   They were only put on suspension bc all the black fraternities threatened to take it above the college level system.  

I have no doubt Kavanaugh thinks all the things he did in his youth were totally normal and what ever other red-blooded male did back then.  In his head if he didn't actually rape her or get under her clothes, then it's no big deal.  He believes this.  And up until this most recent decade, we as women, believed the same crap.  The line from one of the articles sited above: The entire spectacle was one long “but you promised” tantrum of a grown man denied what he seems to believe is his.  He's a spoiled brat afraid someone is going to take his cookie away from him.  And they should.  If he couldn't keep control of himself in a hearing where he swears he did nothing wrong, how's he going to act on a major life changing case?  

Edited to add:   I watched a bit of his interview prior to the hearing...the one where he was proclaiming himself to be this choir boy.  Now I'm about as redneck as any other backwoods born person, but even I had truck with a few 'cotillion" kids.  Maybe they didn't go through those specific motions but their families and themselves were held in that kind of light.  I've seen more than my share of "good boys" be held to this standard that is tarnished as hell behind the scenes.  I've seen upstanding young men with straight A's and all-state jackets and Honor Society presidencies hold secret mini-KKK type meetings in the childhood clubhouse.  Having an immaculate record means nothing.  Hell being a virgin means nothing.  Kav claims he didn't have sex until many years later....ok.  That doesn't absolve raging teenage hormonal frustration that is compounded by testosterone building exercises.  Lifting weights releases tension?  Not really, it promotes hormone production therefore increasing things like sex drive and aggression.  This man could easily have been a choir boy by day and a drunk animal by night.

Edited by Imrlgoddess
  • Upvote 15

The WaPo did a comparison between the actual hearing and the SNL version:

• Upvote 8

Watched a pro-Brett Kavanaugh ad on CNN this morning, all women, shoulder length blond hair, straight out of the Fox news mold, saying how great Brett Kavanaugh is and how he should be on the SC.  There might have been one light brunette, but certainly no Asian, black, Native, Hispanic women.  Nope.  None of that.  Just the whitest white women alive. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 6

This thread has contemporaries of Kavanaugh claiming he was a falling down drunk at the time they knew him. Needless to say, it's a pretty long list.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

Seth Abramson has an interesting mega-thread (100+ tweets) about corroborating evidence. If yo have the time, I recommend reading it, as it lays bare yet another way the GOP is lying to and manipulating the American public.

• Upvote 4

As for, "if he was a drunk they'd have found out in the previous background checks",

• Upvote 9

Other disgusting people from the yearbook

Didn't any adults read the entries?

Is it true that killer Q refers to Quaaludes? does it mean something else?

*not familiar with drugs slang*

• Upvote 4

The presidunce claims he's not calling the shots.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Other disgusting people from the yearbook

Didn't any adults read the entries?

Is it true that killer Q refers to Quaaludes? does it mean something else?

*not familiar with drugs slang*

Um, 151 wouldn't have been legal for any high school student, unless he flunked a bunch of grades and was 21 in HS. Several of my college friends loved 151 and mixed it in with many different drinks. It will knock you on your backside.

I'm not familiar with the drug slang.

I wonder if there were two yearbooks -- one for parents to see and another for the students to trade their sleazy info.

• Upvote 4

It looks like it's not a rumor. FBI can investigate whomever they want as long as the investigation is done within a week. That includes Julie Swetnick. And that even includes Kavanaugh himself.

White House Tells F.B.I. to Interview Anyone Necessary for Kavanaugh Inquiry

The White House has authorized the F.B.I. to expand its abbreviated investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh by interviewing anyone it deems necessary as long the review is finished by the end of the week, two people briefed on the matter said on Monday.

The new directive came in the past 24 hours after a backlash from Democrats, who criticized the White House for limiting the scope of the bureau’s investigation into President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court. The F.B.I. has already completed interviews with the four witnesses its agents were originally asked to talk to, the people said.

Mr. Trump said on Monday that he favored a “comprehensive” F.B.I. investigation and had no problem if the bureau wanted to question Judge Kavanaugh or even a third accuser who was left off the initial witness list if she seemed credible. His only concerns he said, were that the investigation be wrapped up quickly and that it take direction from the Senate Republicans who will determine whether Judge Kavanaugh is confirmed.

“The F.B.I. should interview anybody that they want within reason, but you have to say within reason,” Mr. Trump told reporters in the Rose Garden after an event celebrating a new trade deal with Canada and Mexico. “But they should also be guided, and I’m being guided, by what the senators are looking for.”

The revised White House instruction amounted to a risky bet that the F.B.I. will not find anything new in the next four days that could change the public view of the allegations. Republicans have resisted an open-ended investigation that could head in unpredictable directions. But the limited time frame could minimize the danger even as it heightens the likelihood that F.B.I. interviews do not resolve the conflicting accounts.

Mr. Trump said he instructed his White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, over the weekend to tell the F.B.I. to carry out an open investigation, although he included the caveat that it should accommodate the desires of Senate Republicans. Mr. McGahn followed through with a call to the F.B.I., according to the people briefed on the matter.

“I want them to do a very comprehensive investigation, whatever that means, according to the senators and the Republicans and the Republican majority,” Mr. Trump said. “I want them to do that. I want it to be comprehensive. I think it’s actually a good thing for Judge Kavanaugh.”

Asked if the F.B.I. should question Judge Kavanaugh, Mr. Trump said, “I think so. I think it’s fine if they do. That’s up to them.”

As for Julie Swetnick, the third accuser who has alleged that Judge Kavanaugh attended parties during high school where girls were gang raped, Mr. Trump said he would not object to her being interviewed. “It wouldn’t bother me at all. Now I don’t know all three of the accusers. Certainly I imagine they’re going to interview two. The third one I don’t know much about.”

He added that he understood she had “very little credibility” but added that “if there is any credibility, interview the third one.”

Mr. Trump ordered the one-week F.B.I. investigation on Friday after Senator Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona and a key swing vote on the nomination, insisted that the allegations be examined before he committed to voting to confirm Judge Kavanaugh on the floor. But the White House and Senate Republicans gave the F.B.I. a list of just four people to question: Mark Judge and P.J. Smyth, high school friends of Judge Kavanaugh’s; Leland Keyser, a high school friend of his main accuser, Christine Blasey Ford; and Deborah Ramirez, another of the judge’s accusers.

Mr. Flake expressed concern on Monday that the inquiry not be limited and said he had pressed to make sure that happens. “It does no good to have an investigation that gives us more cover, for example,” he said in a public appearance in Boston. “We actually have to find out what we can find out.”

In interviews, several former senior F.B.I. officials said that they could think of no previous instance when the White House restricted the bureau’s ability to interview potential witnesses during a background check. Chuck Rosenberg, who served as chief of staff under James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, said background investigations were frequently reopened, but that the bureau decides how to pursue new allegations.

“The White House normally tells the F.B.I. what issue to examine, but would not tell the F.B.I. how to examine it, or with whom they should speak,” he said. “It’s highly unusual — in fact, as far I know, uniquely so — for the F.B.I. to be directed to speak only to a limited number of designated people.”

In his comments on Monday, Mr. Trump again accepted Judge Kavanaugh’s denials and portrayed the process as deeply unfair to his nominee. But he added that he would reconsider the nomination if the F.B.I. turned up something that warranted it.

“Certainly if they find something I’m going to take that into consideration,” the president said. “Absolutely. I have a very open mind. The person that takes that position is going to be there a long time.”

Mr. Trump made clear, however, that he would not take into consideration concerns of Senate Democrats in fashioning the scope of the F.B.I. inquiry. Instead, he expressed indignation that Democrats were questioning Judge Kavanaugh’s youthful drinking and suggested some of them were being hypocritical because they themselves abuse alcohol.

“I happen to know some United States senators, one who’s on the other side who’s pretty aggressive,” he said. “I‘ve seen that person in some very bad situations,” which he called “somewhat compromising.”

He would not identify whom he meant, but he did later single out Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut, a favorite target, for misleading the public for years about his military service during the Vietnam War. “This guy lied when he was the attorney general of Connecticut,” Mr. Trump said. “He lied.”

The president was referring to a 2010 article in The New York Timesreporting that Mr. Blumenthal had told audiences that he had “served in Vietnam,” implying he had fought in the war, when in fact he served in the Marine Reserve in the United States at the time. Mr. Blumenthal noted that he did serve in “the Vietnam era” but said he took “full responsibility” for what he called “a few misplaced words.”

The president went further, saying that Mr. Blumenthal had boasted of fighting in Da Nang. “We call him ‘Da Nang Richard,’” he said. “And now he’s up there talking like he’s holier than thou.” In fact, the Times article did not report that Mr. Blumenthal had ever claimed to fight in Da Nang or any other specific battle. Mr. Trump also said incorrectly that Mr. Blumenthal dropped out of his Senate race as a result but won anyway.

Mr. Trump’s comments came at the same time that Senate Republicans released a five-page report questioning the account of Dr. Blasey, the California university professor who also goes by her married name Ford. The report was written by Rachel Mitchell, the Arizona sex crimes prosecutor hired by Republicans to handle the questioning of Dr. Blasey and Judge Kavanaugh for them at last week’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearing.

Dr. Blasey said at the hearing that a drunken Judge Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her, tried to take her clothes off and covered her mouth when she tried to scream during a high school party in the 1980s.

“A ‘he said, she said’ case is incredibly difficult to prove,” Ms. Mitchell wrote. “But this case is even weaker than that.” The report noted that the other people Dr. Blasey identified being at the gathering did not remember anything like what she described and it pointed out other inconsistencies that it suggested undercut her credibility.

“I do not think that a reasonable prosecutor would bring this case based on the evidence before the committee,” Ms. Mitchell wrote. “Nor do I believe that this evidence is sufficient to satisfy the preponderance-of-the-evidence standard.”

The lack of corroboration has complicated Dr. Blasey’s story. Not only has Judge Kavanaugh denied her accusation, the other boy she identified being in the room at the time, Mr. Judge, has said that he did not remember anything matching her description and that he never saw Judge Kavanaugh mistreat women. Two other people Dr. Blasey recalled being elsewhere in the house then, Mr. Smyth and Ms. Keyser, also told the committee in written statements that they did not remember the party in question, although Ms. Keyser has separately told The Washington Postthat she believed Dr. Blasey, a point not made in Ms. Mitchell’s report.

Ms. Mitchell also focused on other seemingly less significant distinctions, such as the fact that Dr. Blasey was described as afraid to fly but has nonetheless has flown to Washington and other destinations.

Ms. Mitchell argued that Dr. Blasey was inconsistent because she testified that she told her husband she was the victim of “sexual assault” but told The Post that she had told him she was the victim of “physical abuse.”

Ms. Mitchell did not explain why she thought “sexual assault” and “physical abuse” were inconsistent and she incorrectly implied that Dr. Blasey used the phrase “physical abuse” when in fact those words were not in quotation marks in the Post article and were therefore the reporter’s paraphrase. Moreover, The Post attributed that to her husband, not to Dr. Blasey.

Ms. Mitchell also made much of the fact that Dr. Blasey said she could not remember whether a polygraph test that she took in August occurred on the day of her grandmother’s funeral or the day after, nor could she remember whether it was recorded. And she could not remember whether she showed notes from her therapist to a Post reporter or simply described them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Jeff Flake seems committed to a real FBI investigation. 

• Thank You 4

Oh for Rufus' sake!

What ever will they come up with next? That she was abducted by aliens and they took over her body and made her say these things because they're afraid of the presidunce's Space Force?

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 9

How sad is this?

Confronting, isn't it?

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 5

I don't usually quote the Palmer Report, because it's mostly hyped up sensationalizm. But this time, he's reporting on and quoting the official redacted transcript.

Senate transcript reveals Brett Kavanaugh allegedly raped a woman in the back of a car

(fair warning, this contains explicit sexual descriptions)

With the FBI having finally received the green light a few hours ago to conduct an unrestricted investigation into the sexual assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh, we’re now learning that he’s been accused of having raped a woman in the back of a car. The Senate Judiciary Committee took this accusation seriously enough that it questioned Kavanaugh about it during private hearings – and the transcript just surfaced publicly.

The woman in question, whose identity is not known, sent a letter to Senator Kamala Harris, spelling out her accusations. The Senate Judiciary Committee read the letter to Brett Kavanaugh, asking him to respond to it. Here’s the key passage from the woman’s letter. Fair warning, this is sexually explicit and disturbing:

Kavanaugh and a friend offered me a ride home. I don’t know the other boy’s name. I was in his car to go home. His friend was behind me in the backseat. Kavanaugh kissed me forcefully. I told him I only wanted a ride home. Kavanaugh continued to grope me over my clothes, forcing his kisses on me and putting his hand under my sweater. ‘No,’ I yelled at him.

The boy in the backseat reached around, putting his hand over my mouth and holding my arm to keep me in the car. I screamed into his hand. Kavanaugh continued his forcing himself on me. He pulled up my sweater and bra exposing my breasts, and reached into my panties, inserting his fingers into my vagina. My screams were silenced by the boy in the backseat covering my mouth and groping me as well.

Kavanaugh slapped me and told me to be quiet and forced me to perform oral sex on him. He climaxed in my mouth. They forced me to go into the backseat and took turns raping me several times each. They dropped me off two blocks from my home. ‘No one will believe if you tell. Be a good girl,’ he told me.

Brett Kavanaugh’s response, according to the transcript: “Nothing — the whole thing is ridiculous. Nothing ever — anything like that, nothing. I mean, that’s — the whole thing is just a crock, farce, wrong, didn’t happen, not anything close.” This interview took place six days ago, and the transcript was just released today. You can read the entire exchange starting on page thirteen.

Here's a link to the official transcript for those of you who want to read the whole thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic