IGNORED

Fundy college ditches Nike over Kaepernick

Howl

On 9/7/2018 at 6:38 PM, Briefly said:

My brother, who is a veteran, basically said the same thing:  Kaepernick is within his rights and that is what the veterans are willing to risk their life for, the right of everyone to make their own decisions and that includes things like taking a knee, etc.  I may not be wording that very clearly.  But it's his right to do as he chooses.  Just like we all have the right to choose.

As far as Nike and burning things, just who do they think they are hurting?  Nike already has the money.  So the only people they are hurting are themselves, and Nike gets more publicity also.  There is a church in the Tulsa area that is collecting any Nike products that people don't want.  They will then take the merchandise to either a veteran's group or a homeless group.  Nothing gets burned and wasted.

There was a meme I saw that basically said, go ahead and burn your Nike things, we already have your money. I agree with that church, gather things people no longer want and donate. There are plenty of people in the US and in other countries that need shoes and shirts...... burning them is nothing but a waste.

My sister posted some shit on her FB today about how Tim Tebow (barf) had shown real courage.  Nope, he didn't.  My sister can be such a fucking idiot sometimes.

It's not just College of the Ozarks boycottng. So is Truett McConnell University - a very fundie Southern Baptist "university" in north Georgia. Up until a few years ago it was T-McC College, a 2-year junior college with no admission standards or criteria.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:32 PM, EowynW said:

I support Colin and we have many things to protest and fix in this country. But on the other hand, IMO, Nike isn't standing for the oppressed. They have many sweat shops, use child labor & unsafe working conditions overseas. They're (and now Colin) getting rich off the backs of the oppressed. 

This has been my problem with Nike for awhile. They did improve their conditions, but in recent years they've had similar issues again. It's also what bothers be about the entire thing. 

A former NFL player takes a knee during the anthem and does a commercial for Nike=EVIL, must NOT support Nike!!!!!!

Nike shown to use child slave labor in conditions not fit for an animal=*crickets*. 

17 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

It's not just College of the Ozarks boycottng. So is Truett McConnell University - a very fundie Southern Baptist "university" in north Georgia. Up until a few years ago it was T-McC College, a 2-year junior college with no admission standards or criteria.

Truett-McConnell probably became a "University" for much the same reason that Anderson (SC) College did. It was a junior college associated with the state's Baptist Convention and then the more prestigious 4-year college broke away from the Convention. Furman was successful, but Shorter was not, unfortunately.  The Bateses went to Anderson when it was still a junior college.

22 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

All politics and Nike aside, I remain confused about how kneeling is disrespectful.

I know, right? It's such a respectful way to express disapproval. I don't understand why people get so mad about it. I must be a bad 'Murican.

I’m just happy that Colin is still able to make a living, with his Nike ad. He is a talented athlete who has been shunned by the NFL. So now he has a livelihood. 

I am sorry if Nike is part of sweatshops. Colin is still able to make a living. We all have to feed ourselves. 

Didn’t Colin just get picked up by a team? I don’t follow sports very much...anyone hear about this?  Happened yesterday? 

I used to run cross country in Nike’s and I loved them.  I won’t buy them nowadays because of the child labour.

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

All politics and Nike aside, I remain confused about how kneeling is disrespectful.

I think it's supposed to be the intent.  Not that I think he is being disrespectful, he's just expressing his opinion.  He is kneeling to protest some of the things that have happened in this country - he is not being disrespectful to America.  I've seen a lot of comments about how it's so disrespectful to our veterans, etc., but I have several in the family and know several.  My Dad was a veteran and I think he would have said the same thing my brother, the veteran, said.  He's within his rights, and those rights are what the veterans are willing to fight for. I hope I'm making myself clear because I'm not sure if I am.  I've just seen a lot of comments (mostly from Mr. Briefly's side of the family) about how he's so disrespectful to all the veterans who fought for the flag - but very few of those people making those comments actually are veterans themselves.

41 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I think it's supposed to be the intent.  Not that I think he is being disrespectful, he's just expressing his opinion.  He is kneeling to protest some of the things that have happened in this country - he is not being disrespectful to America.  I've seen a lot of comments about how it's so disrespectful to our veterans, etc., but I have several in the family and know several.  My Dad was a veteran and I think he would have said the same thing my brother, the veteran, said.  He's within his rights, and those rights are what the veterans are willing to fight for. I hope I'm making myself clear because I'm not sure if I am.  I've just seen a lot of comments (mostly from Mr. Briefly's side of the family) about how he's so disrespectful to all the veterans who fought for the flag - but very few of those people making those comments actually are veterans themselves.

I know one veteran, a friend's family member, who is all up in arms on FB about how Kap is disrespecting everything he fought for. But I also know he was the kind of guy to sign up and "go fight the Muslims" because they want to "take over the world". His words. 

Every other veteran that I either know personally or I've seen comment on friends' statuses have more nuanced views on why they fought. It wasn't "for the flag", in our lifetimes, it has more often been to defend citizens of other countries from extremist regimes, dictators, or terrorist cells dominating an area of a foreign land and fighting so that those people have the freedoms afforded to those in places like the United States. Whether those invasions or military deployments were right or wrong- it's a can of worms when you start talking about the responsibility of the US in their action or inaction as the 'world's police'- that is what most of the military have seen as their job and worth dying for as they've been deployed on these tours with little idea of who exactly or what exactly they're fighting. The one thing they hold onto is that they're fighting for freedom for others.

I was talking to someone earlier about this. My dad is a vet and someone asked how he felt about it. I can say unequivocally, because we talk about this stuff: he does not give a shit. It's not as if he joined the military because he just loves saluting stuff, and wants to make sure that everyone goes around saluting and standing at attention all the time. He joined because it offered him a career opportunity at the time. He is not a flag and what someone does in front of the flag has nothing to do with him.

Honestly I find it gross how people derail discussions about important issues by saying "but what about the troops!" Armed service members are human beings who have various political views just like any other demographic. I am sure some of them joined up because they wanted to "defend the flag" or whatever. Most of them probably had other reasons and don't appreciate being objectified in other people's politics.

As one of the FJ (military) veterans, I'll say this:

Kaep and other athletes are using their first amendment rights. My service was about protecting the rights people have, which includes peaceful protest. As such, I'm here for protesting police brutality.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, Black Aliss said:

Following up on myself to clarify that I have always seen kneeling as an act of submission, not defiance and certainly not insubordination. When we respond to the altar call to be saved, we kneel at the altar. We kneel to pray. We kneel to receive dispensation from a minister or royalty.

From wikipedia (emphasis mine):

Socially, kneeling, similar to bowing, is associated with reverence, submission and obeisance, particularly if one kneels before a person who is standing or sitting: the kneeling position renders a person defenseless and unable to flee. For this reason, in some religions, in particular by Christians and Muslims, kneeling is used as a position for prayer, as a position of submission to God, although there were groups such as the Christian Agonoclites which said prayers standing and forbade kneeling. In north Indian Hindu temples, many Hindus kneel before the icon after saying a short personal prayer, and usually touch the ground with their forehead. (This is a contrast to south Indian temples, where most people prostrate completely before the icon).

In many churches, pews are equipped with kneelers in front of the seating bench so members of the congregation can kneel on them instead of the floor. In a few other situations such as confessionals and areas in front of an altar, kneelers for kneeling during prayer or sacraments may also be used.

Within the Latin Rite of Roman Catholicism, it was formerly the custom to kneel on the left knee only (genuflect) for persons of distinction (such as kings, the pope, bishops, etc.), to kneel on the right knee for the Eucharist, when it is in the tabernacle, and to kneel on both knees when the Eucharist was exposed.

Since the publication of the Roman Missal in 1973, following the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, it is customary to genuflect to the Eucharist whether reserved in the tabernacle or exposed for adoration, although in many regions the "double genuflection" (i.e. kneeling briefly on both knees) is still practiced before the exposed Eucharist. The practice of genuflecting before the Eucharist also occurs in the Anglican Church and the Lutheran Church.[2][3][4] Confirmation candidates sometimes kneel before a sitting bishop on both knees to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation and a blessing. Candidates during Holy Orders will also kneel on both before a bishop or archbishop. Sometimes penitents will kneel during confession to a priest. It is still permissible to receive the Eucharist at Communion while kneeling, although in most places it is received while standing.

In the Eastern Orthodox Church the act of kneeling, in the sense of "standing on one's knees" is not traditionally performed. Instead, there are several types of bows and prostrations. However, at his ordination, a deacon will kneel on one knee to the side of the altar, while the bishop lays his hands on the deacon's head to read the Prayer of Cheirotonia over him. A priest will kneel in the same manner at his ordination, but on both knees; and a bishop kneels (on both knees) in front of the altar as the Gospel Book is laid over his head and the consecrating bishops read the prayer.

Nike did it because they thought it would make them money. Absolutely true. But I do consider it a good sign that there is enough public support that is something that makes money, instead of losing it. 

Vendors who do not support law enforcement killing unarmed and innocent people of color are truly the worst. /s

FUCK YOU, Mississippi Public Safety Commissioner Marshall Fisher. You are a horible, horible person.

@JillyO,  my daughter and her family recently moved to the Mississippi suburbs of Memphis for the schools.  Yeah, you read that right, but it turns out the the schools in Olive Branch are actually pretty darn good.  On the whole though, Mississippi does have a reputation to uphold as being incredibly backward and repressive.  The state penitentiary at Sparkman is considered one of the most inhumane prisons in the US along with Angola in Louisiana.    Some people are trying to make things better so that people will no longer say "Thank god for Mississippi!" but they've got a ways to go.

Archived