IGNORED

Fundy college ditches Nike over Kaepernick

Howl

College of the Ozarks, a Christian college, is ditching Nike branded wear for athletes over the Kaepernick ad.  They're ditching their current football uniforms and all things Nike, because maybe it's the Christian thing to do?  

Missouri college drops Nike over Kaepernick ad

College of the Ozarks announced that it is choosing "country over company" and is dropping Nike over the sportswear company's use of the former NFL player to promote the 30th anniversary of its "Just Do It" ad campaign.

"College of the Ozarks plans to remove all athletic uniforms purchased from Nike or that contain the Nike emblem. Student athletes will no longer wear the brand in response to the company's new ad campaign," the private, Christian college said in a statement Wednesday.

"College of the Ozarks has stated its views regarding patriotism, the American flag, and the national anthem," the statement said, noting that in October It "revised its contracts for competition in all sports, adding a stipulation that all participating players and coaches show respect for the American flag and national anthem."

That same month, the Point Lookout, Missouri, school near Branson also unveiled a mandatory course called Patriotic Education and Fitness to encourage students' understanding of America's heritage, the nation's civic responsibilities, love of country and willingness to defend it.* 

*Yes, they do have an ROTC program, so they aren't total hypocrites. 

But jeeze does this chafe my chaps.  Plus, there are tons of kids there whose parents sent them along with some nice Nike branded clothes and shoes, which are now probably forbidden wear, even it that's from social pressure alone and not school policy. 

This is an interesting college.  All students who attend must work their way through school. 

I know that it's impossible to overestimate just how intoxicated people can get on the strength of American racism, but I just. don't. get. why Kaepernick's actions make the right so crazy. I mean the dude is just quietly and respectfully kneeling. That's it! That's the whole thing! And people are foaming at the mouth about it! 

I don't understand how College of the Ozarks can hold this position without admitting that they're worshipping the flag as an object unto itself, while disdaining major swaths of Christian social teaching. But hey, that's just me.

2 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I mean the dude is just quietly and respectfully kneeling.

Yes, with head humbly bowed.  But ya know, College of the Ozarks classes won't be discussing Christian social teaching.  At all.  Christianity is the handmaiden of mindless nationalism. 

Of course, they are. The fact that the burning/boycotting Nike is coming mostly from white people who say that Kaepernick was disrespecting the flag is such crap. You don't get it because you've never faced it. You're just pissed because he's trying to point out the racism that is in the world, the US is bad but it's not the only place. These people just want to cling to their subtle (and sometimes not subtle at all) racism. 

Oh, man. College of the Ozarks. When I was a corporate lackey, I occasionally got a résumé from someone who had attended there, or George Fox University in Oregon, or North Central University in Minneapolis and, while I always tried to keep an open mind and disregard the fact that the person in HR was a graduate of the latter (formerly known as North Central Bible College), and trying not to think about potentially excellent candidates that she did not forward to me, it was rare that the résumé made me want to interview the person and when I did, the interview loop was a colossal waste of time for all involved. Is it unreasonable to expect that a college graduate, applying for a job that requires a lot of writing, be able to spell (or have someone proofread) and construct a sentence?

I honestly keep expecting someone to announce that they are starting the Liberty Traditional Jesus Patriot Bible Family Freedom corporation that will  produce "godly" goods for the nutters.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Of course, they are. The fact that the burning/boycotting Nike is coming mostly from white people who say that Kaepernick was disrespecting the flag is such crap. You don't get it because you've never faced it. You're just pissed because he's trying to point out the racism that is in the world, the US is bad but it's not the only place. These people just want to cling to their subtle (and sometimes not subtle at all) racism. 

I am not a fan of Jesse Ventura but he had a very interesting clip out where he said basically that people fought for Kaepernick to have the right to kneel and he himself would defend the guy's right to do so. He also mentioned that you can't force patriotism on people. 

I support Colin and we have many things to protest and fix in this country. But on the other hand, IMO, Nike isn't standing for the oppressed. They have many sweat shops, use child labor & unsafe working conditions overseas. They're (and now Colin) getting rich off the backs of the oppressed. 

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I am not a fan of Jesse Ventura but he had a very interesting clip out where he said basically that people fought for Kaepernick to have the right to kneel and he himself would defend the guy's right to do so. He also mentioned that you can't force patriotism on people. 

My brother, who is a veteran, basically said the same thing:  Kaepernick is within his rights and that is what the veterans are willing to risk their life for, the right of everyone to make their own decisions and that includes things like taking a knee, etc.  I may not be wording that very clearly.  But it's his right to do as he chooses.  Just like we all have the right to choose.

As far as Nike and burning things, just who do they think they are hurting?  Nike already has the money.  So the only people they are hurting are themselves, and Nike gets more publicity also.  There is a church in the Tulsa area that is collecting any Nike products that people don't want.  They will then take the merchandise to either a veteran's group or a homeless group.  Nothing gets burned and wasted.

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

I support Colin and we have many things to protest and fix in this country. But on the other hand, IMO, Nike isn't standing for the oppressed. They have many sweat shops, use child labor & unsafe working conditions overseas. They're (and now Colin) getting rich off the backs of the oppressed. 

Yes.  Nike doesn't care about black people, cops, the military or just people in general. 

Great read on how Nike is anything but a social justice warrior. They're capitalists, and they're betting against racist ignoramuses. "Nike’s move is a direct wager against appeasement of white supremacy as sound business policy. Maybe Nike figures that the far right is going to throw a tantrum no matter what and they might as well sell some athleisure to people who don’t find racial equality offensive. A major corporation has put a financial stake in the idea that ...people who believe in racial equality are more numerous, and more passionate, than those who oppose it."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/4/17821252/nike-nfl-colin-kaepernick-business-politics

What pisses me off the most is the reason why Colin is doing this , is barely a mention on media outlets.  Which is why the Black Lives Matter movement needed to happen.   So few care.

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Oh, man. College of the Ozarks. When I was a corporate lackey, I occasionally got a résumé from someone who had attended there, or George Fox University in Oregon, or North Central University in Minneapolis and, while I always tried to keep an open mind and disregard the fact that the person in HR was a graduate of the latter (formerly known as North Central Bible College), and trying not to think about potentially excellent candidates that she did not forward to me, it was rare that the résumé made me want to interview the person and when I did, the interview loop was a colossal waste of time for all involved. Is it unreasonable to expect that a college graduate, applying for a job that requires a lot of writing, be able to spell (or have someone proofread) and construct a sentence?

Living in the land of George Fox, and considering getting my M Ed there, I'm curious what problem you have with their graduates? It's barely even considered a Christian college (was founded by the Quakers but it's Christian in name only according who those who go there) fully accredited University, etc.

George Fox is a Christian school. It’s all over the website. They have divinity programs. It is accredited. They are a better school then many. But they are definitely affiliated.

Ah, College of the Ozarks! That's not far from me--I've been on the campus for tours and different events. 

Ranked in 2017 as the most unfriendly college for LGBTQ people by the Princeton Review. Students can be expelled for their orientation. Even heterosexual students can be expelled for having premarital sex or getting pregnant. 

But it's all about the White Christian Patriotism there, just like Jesus preached in the Bible! 

18 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I know that it's impossible to overestimate just how intoxicated people can get on the strength of American racism, but I just. don't. get. why Kaepernick's actions make the right so crazy. I mean the dude is just quietly and respectfully kneeling. That's it! That's the whole thing! And people are foaming at the mouth about it!

Ah, yes, but see, he was doing so while black. Kneeling while black is a punishable offense in this country. Just like driving while black, asking for directions when you're lost while black, and living in too-nice-a-neighborhood while black.

41 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Ah, yes, but see, he was doing so while black. Kneeling while black is a punishable offense in this country. Just like driving while black, asking for directions when you're lost while black, and living in too-nice-a-neighborhood while black.

You forgot sitting in a Starbucks while black, napping in your dorm lounge while black, swimming in the community pool while black.......what did I forget? 

This country if fucking out of control. 

And meanwhile in Appalachia.....my hillbilly relatives continue to pass around cautionary posts on social media about sightings of non-white people in WalMart and the danger they must pose. The latest one was from a woman shopping with two elementary school age kids. There were some "brown people" in the shoe department that looked at her and her kids. She wasn't sure "what kind they were" but "maybe Mexican or something like that, definitely brown and not white". She was certain they were going to take her kids and traffic them. She wanted everyone else to be aware and please share her post. And of course, hillbilly county that is too small and isolated to have their own WalMart obliged and declared that they should really go to a different WalMart in a different city. 

Like I said, this country is fucking out of control. 

14 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

You forgot sitting in a Starbucks while black, napping in your dorm lounge while black, swimming in the community pool while black.......what did I forget? 

This country if fucking out of control. 

And meanwhile in Appalachia.....my hillbilly relatives continue to pass around cautionary posts on social media about sightings of non-white people in WalMart and the danger they must pose. The latest one was from a woman shopping with two elementary school age kids. There were some "brown people" in the shoe department that looked at her and her kids. She wasn't sure "what kind they were" but "maybe Mexican or something like that, definitely brown and not white". She was certain they were going to take her kids and traffic them. She wanted everyone else to be aware and please share her post. And of course, hillbilly county that is too small and isolated to have their own WalMart obliged and declared that they should really go to a different WalMart in a different city. 

Like I said, this country is fucking out of control. 

This country is so out of control, that I have a redneck cousin who posted on FB that the children being held at the border are "heathen" children, and our tax money shouldnt go to taking care of them! What the actual FUCK

Are we in some time warp where were moving back in time, pre civil rights era? Where has all the shame gone in this society? 

I have recently had to deactivate my Facebook and delete the app off my phone. I lose more respect for my extended family and friends since its become socially acceptable to be openly racist, homophobic, etc. 

Going to go donate to Beto O'Rourke's campaign today. 

There was an incident last night in which a white police officer went into the wrong apartment after work and shot the resident (thinking he was an intruder). 

16 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Living in the land of George Fox, and considering getting my M Ed there, I'm curious what problem you have with their graduates? It's barely even considered a Christian college (was founded by the Quakers but it's Christian in name only according who those who go there) fully accredited University, etc.

No problem at all except for what I said: the job seekers from there seemingly unable to write in complete sentences, with all words spelled correctly. I was not aware that it was Quaker. I assumed, from its merger with Western Evangelical Seminary that it was fundy. Their asking for and receiving an exemption from Title IX wrt transgender students doesn't sound very Quaker-ish.

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

And making an excellent salary while black. The complaints about football players taking a knee almost invariably includes a comment about how overpaid they are. I have never heard that complaint lodged against, say, Tom Brady.

Totally.  I hear people saying that the players are there to entertain us, not to be actual human beings.   Of course Tebow is ok tho.  

I'm really shocked how the "hillbilly" family mentions sightings of brown people like that.  Omg.  Awful.

When I was 18, I dated a boy who had an older brother with friends who are NYPD.  At a holiday get together they were laughing about how they make random black men hanging around Shea Stadium drop their pants and kneel down in front of them, then point their guns at them.  Then just let them go.  It was for fun and authority.  But, they are cops, so no biggie.  I said something in disgust.  I was the youngest one there. One cop ( who I had considered a friend prior) pulled me aside some time later and gave me a lecture about whose side I was on when the shit hits the fan aka: never gonna happen race war.   It was eye opening and disgusting.  He looked at me like I was a lost soul.  Fuck off dude!

I have many more stories along those lines.  White people thinking I'm like that so they talk openly.   I'm not quiet when it comes to that talk.  They do not find a friend in me.  I'm firmly team #ibelieveblackpeople and always was, always will be.  It's tiring,  I can't imaging how tiring it is for them.  Micro agressions are everywhere in that dept.  Kinda like owning a vagina. So, I never understand how women can be so racist.  Same assholes affecting us.  Just stop with that, please. 

@Beermeet It's a small thing, but I do take comfort in the fact that they have never started the posts. They are just sharing them. So there is that. It's not much, but it's something. And not all of them, basically just three out of the twelve cousins/cousins's spouses I'm friends with. Not that three is not three too many. 

They are so isolated where they live that it is just sad. One of the sharers is building a new house very close to Columbus and I am really wondering how she is going to react to that move. She will not be surrounded by white people there and will be officially out of Appalachia. 

20 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

@Beermeet It's a small thing, but I do take comfort in the fact that they have never started the posts. They are just sharing them. So there is that. It's not much, but it's something. And not all of them, basically just three out of the twelve cousins/cousins's spouses I'm friends with. Not that three is not three too many. 

They are so isolated where they live that it is just sad. One of the sharers is building a new house very close to Columbus and I am really wondering how she is going to react to that move. She will not be surrounded by white people there and will be officially out of Appalachia. 

I understand.  I really do.  My family on Long Island are similar irl, not so much on FB.  It's shocking no matter how much I see or hear of that sort of thing.  My mom's husband just posted this: 

Like, really?  They live and always have in an area with no poor, no diversity and no chance to experience life other than that.  I mean, football players can definitely be assholes and maybe that guy in the picture did just that, idk.  However,  the generalization extended is bullshit and racist.  And now my mom follows her man. I didn't grow up with her like that, not how she taught me.  It really saddens me. 

Screenshot_20180908-182143_Facebook.jpg

@Beermeet He apparently has a couple of arrests, per a quick google search. But I also found this: 

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/22/brandon-marshall-miami-police-investigating/?productCode=WebAccessSP

I wonder how many of the players kneeling have had those kinds of experiences or know many friends and family members who have. I had a black student who regularly got pulled over driving to school because the car his parents got him was, per his mother's words, "a little too nice for a black kid to drive" in the police's eyes. It was back when the sagging pants were a big thing and I heard him tell some white kid giving him crap about not wearing his that way that when the police pull you over asking where you got your car twice a week, it's better not to look like a gang banger. White kid didn't get it. 

Thst mrme and others like it piss me off because, so what if that guy got in trouble or is a raping MF'er.  Why is that applied to black men in general?  So, all football players beat wives and get dui's?  Cause that's what black people do?  Natch. Telling they didn't use a white player for that meme.  Cause white men are so gentlemanly *eyeroll*.  I'm not directing this at you , I'm pissed off about a lot of injustices and this is one.  And, I dislije my mom's husband. Truth be told.

Archived