IGNORED

Counting On Season 5/6/7 Who Knows? It's on Tonight!

Coconut Flan

26 minutes ago, Thorns said:

...the room were all things brown and beige comes to rest. 

plus it's the room that jessa and ben had their counselling in and i bet that door is the area to where ben "slept" 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I feel a little defensive of take-out leftovers... haha, because I love them. My boyfriend (who is a great cook) would use them to make lots of things that charmed me early in our relationship: spanish tortillas, omelettes, risottos, stuffed veggies, soups. There are a lot of nice things that can be done with leftovers and basics. "Making fajitas with leftovers" isn't a thing that would send me running for the hills early in a relationship. 

That said, I haven't watched the episode, but Josiah's concoction sounds gross. My guess is that they may have had other filming plans that were scrapped and this was a Plan B. Or C.

I'm a tiny bit glad to know the Duggars even keep and use leftovers, with all the wastefulness we've seen from them.

I love leftovers.... if it was my own food the first time around, or my husband's.  Not my boyfriend's little brother's or who knows in that house, and who knows if that person a) was planning to eat them later and b) had hygienically set aside half of their portion with a clean knife before eating the rest or if it was all crawling with their mouth bacteria.  

I love leftovers! As long as I have a decent idea of when it was put in the fridge, by who, and the chances of food poisoning if I should choose to eat it. I mean, I don't think I would serve a significant other the indian food that might be from this week...but perhaps I'm picky! 

Its not that leftovers are bad, its that he didn't put any effort into the date.  If thats what its like when he is trying to get her, life will be terrible when he thinks he has her.  He is said to be a good cook, is said to put effort into things, but just not for her.  It doesn't bode well.

5 hours ago, JMO said:

I eat leftovers all the time and if Josiah had made anything that sounded nearly as tasty as what your boyfriend made you I would have less disgust/snark.  Besides the fact that their courtship model promotes the boy showing overly romantic/Disney-esque displays of courting and the previous courtships that his sisters were in showed them making from scratch 3 course meals as a model for what he should do, he did a half assed job.  He literally went scrounging through their industrial fridge, opened various styrofoam containers, declared that he didn't know how old they were, where they we from or who's they are and dumped them in a pan.  The guac was old and spoiled and he said, "eh, it looks fine" and dumped it in a bowl.  Lauren took one look at it and refused to eat it.  And she laughs at his lame corny jokes and has the stepford wife look down so she's clearly deep into the love koolaid with him.  He's like all the worst parts of Boob.  Next time maybe he will make BBQ tuna for her.  

On another note, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the giant mansion that the Swanson's live in.  What does he do?  Their house is gorgeous.  

Definitely... "when in doubt, throw it out" is probably a good mantra when serving food to others.

I agree about the mansion! I know that rural Arkansas can represent an extreme of the property value spectrum, but still! What do they do? Did Lauren grow up that way? I know Josiah was still quite young when his parents started making major bank, but if Lauren grew up like that, they may have class experience differences to navigate. I hope I'm describing this correctly.

1 hour ago, justoneoftwo said:

Its not that leftovers are bad, its that he didn't put any effort into the date.  If thats what its like when he is trying to get her, life will be terrible when he thinks he has her.  He is said to be a good cook, is said to put effort into things, but just not for her.  It doesn't bode well.

Yeah, honestly, from his facial expressions towards the camera & his comments/attitude in general just made me think that it was a big joke to him. Almost like the producers maybe thought it would be a good idea & he didn't so he just half-assed it. 

On 8/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, SamiKatz said:

but once it's liveable, they're in there until they buy another and move into it. 

So they don't immediately put in on the market? Timing is everything when it comes to flipping. Arent flip houses usually staged? I don't know that staging companies allow you to actually live on their furniture. If not, you need your own and that's a lot of wear and tear on your own stuff moving it frequently. I wouldn't want to buy a newly rehabbed house that people were living in post-renovation, that would make the house seem used to me. Like sewing a nice suit and the tailor wearing it first before putting it up for sale.

To each their own, but , moving is a pain with address changes, possible school changes, just too much. I would think at some point stability is better for children too.

Sorry not sorry  but those girls did not sound good at all!  

How long before we see Siah’s “recipe” on Jill’s blog?

On 8/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I do think Josh would be happier out of the cult, I also think he might realize what an asshole he was and try to be a better person and atone (for lack of a better word) for his sins in a non-cult like, God made me way, if that makes sense. 

I also think Josiah & Joy would be happier without the restrictive nature of their cult. Joy wants to work and do things, that in her cult, only men can do, and Si wants to do things that no one in their cult can do.  

I really think a lot of the younger ones especially the lost girls and Justin are just over all their families nonsense, I also think J&M will start beating the sass out of Hannie real soon, like they did with Joy, she's getting to "old" to be acting like a sassy little girl. 

Josh, imho, had it the worst. He remembers having gifts from Santa--i.e. life BEFORE the crazy, and then as the exalted first-born he was expected to be the leader and the surrogate parent. Oh, and never have any privacy or fun--just help insane Dad figure out how to build not just a pole barn, but a pole barn that will be turned into a house big enough to hold an Auto Mall and at age, what 13? Never hear anything but sex is for marriage but be as horny as any teenager. [This doesn't excuse what he did don't worry]. Never have friends without the family present. Nothing of your own that can't fit in a half-sized school locker. Then be sent of for re-education and be married off to the first cult-girl from a family willing to have you. Not much hope of him being in any way normal. He knew it was wrong to do what he did. His parents knew. He is still living with that. He needs a life where real therapy for both is own "urges" and his marriage is possible.

Joy is married to an asshole who out assholes her father. It won't end well. "Siah is playing the role of a young husband. A role. Like Meghan Markle is playing princess.

The younger kids. If Jana DOES marry I think they might have a chance of overwhelming the parents who barely know them. Do they still have a "tutor" of did that end? That would be a good thing for them--they might get more education. Joy on down had their education so disrupted by the show that I can help but think by now they are resentful. Even if the do want to flip houses or sell used cars they may feel inadequate. Unlike Josh they've been out in the world from a very young age, seeing things, hearing, watching, experiencing. It must suck to be stuck home--even worse than for Josh, Jana and John and that age.

We love leftovers in our house, growing up my dad refused leftovers and still does, as do my brother and sister then and now. When we gather for big family gatherings at my moms or my dads we know we are going home with what ever is left as we're the only one who will eat them. My mom will sometimes set aside a dinners worth for herself, as that is all she will eat before it goes bad, but in my house with a 20 year old man child and a 57 year old man child, who both eat like a pack of starving wild animals, not much will go to waste.  I will give DH and or DS my leftovers at dinner off my plate, we don't care but it is food we are eating right now. If I have leftovers off my plate I will box them up and mark them "mom's lunch" and everyone knows not to eat it.

DH grew up in a home with 4 brothers raised by a single mother, they were food insecure a lot of the time, they learned never to waste food, and to this day all the boys & my MIL keep everything that wasn't on someone's plate and use it up.

@justoneoftwo

I am not sure if you are familiar with these two, but I range practicing contemporary Christian from the likes of TD Jakes (Woman Thou are Loose - written in his very conservative days) and Carl Lentz ( pastor to the stars; Justin Beiber' s "pastor").

Contemporary Christians differ from conservative in that while they may believe the bible is the infallible word of God (some do not), they also acknowledge that it's inspired, open to interpretation, and meant as a source of unity not division. They are also more likely to believe it is okay for Christians to enjoy the natural world and live in it. Conservatives often believe that Christians are in the world but not of it. Therefore practicing Christians are different, separate and holier and therefore better (less be honest).  This is always shown by their actions (abstaining from worldly behaviors like secular ...everything. Including (not limited to) drinking, cursing,dancing, having an identity outside the church...)  and often in their appearance. Also contemporary focuses on modern worship service, less if at all any liturgy, denomination requirements and dress code.) Contempory Christian houses the most progressively extremes including the few who are open and affirming, require multiculturalism and promote interfaith ministries (and sometimes worship like UCC, U/U, Unity and Evangelical Lutherans). We know the most extreme groups of Conservative Christians are fundamentalists which can be broken down into sub groups of their own (IFB, Mormons, OO Amish/Men etc)

Of course, like any major division, there will be churches that ride the middle of the divide, swinging both ways. Some conservative groups have now become "hip" and appear contemporary to capture young members, but at core still believe the Bible is literal in every word and should apply to everyone. Also there will be outlier members who attend one kind but live like the other. The deliniations are not always clear.

Btw, many contemporary Christians practice church segregation (sometimes not by choice) and believe homosexuality is a sin. Therefore those views will not separate them from conservatives.

About Jinjer - 

Jinger posted secular lyrics from a secular love song. Contemporary.

They openly promote modern gender roles. Sports for Jinger. Daddy duty for Jeremy while studying. Contemporary.

Comfortably having friendships with non-christians ( this one is huge). Contemporary.

Non modest dress (not always contemporary).

A focus on local mission work instead of mostly international? (Contempory) ETA, I don't have enough proof of this. 

Does this mean they are confirmed contemporary Christians? No. I just believe as a couple they are slowly heading that way. Although Jeremy's seminary choice discourages my thoughts on this a bit. lol 

Honestly, I think these are mostly Jeremy ideas. Where he goes she will most likely follow. Still, I could be completely wrong.

34 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

@justoneoftwo

I am not sure if you are familiar with these two, but I range practicing contemporary Christian from the likes of TD Jakes (Woman Thou are Loose - written in his very conservative days) and Carl Lentz ( pastor to the stars; Justin Beiber' s "pastor").

Contemporary Christians differ from conservative in that while they may believe the bible is the infallible word of God (some do not), they also acknowledge that it's inspired, open to interpretation, and meant as a source of unity not division. They are also more likely to believe it is okay for Christians to enjoy the natural world and live in it. Conservatives often believe that Christians are in the world but not of it. Therefore practicing Christians are different, separate and holier and therefore better (less be honest).  This is always shown by their actions (abstaining from worldly behaviors like secular ...everything. Including (not limited to) drinking, cursing,dancing, having an identity outside the church...)  and often in their appearance. Also contemporary focuses on modern worship service, less if at all any liturgy, denomination requirements and dress code.) Contempory Christian houses the most progressively extremes including the few who are open and affirming, require multiculturalism and promote interfaith ministries (and sometimes worship like UCC, U/U, Unity and Evangelical Lutherans). We know the most extreme groups of Conservative Christians are fundamentalists which can be broken down into sub groups of their own (IFB, Mormons, OO Amish/Men etc)

Of course, like any major division, there will be churches that ride the middle of the divide, swinging both ways. Some conservative groups have now become "hip" and appear contemporary to capture young members, but at core still believe the Bible is literal in every word and should apply to everyone. Also there will be outlier members who attend one kind but live like the other. The deliniations are not always clear.

Btw, many contemporary Christians practice church segregation (sometimes not by choice) and believe homosexuality is a sin. Therefore those views will not separate them from conservatives.

About Jinjer - 

Jinger posted secular lyrics from a secular love song. Contemporary.

They openly promote modern gender roles. Sports for Jinger. Daddy duty for Jeremy while studying. Contemporary.

Comfortably having friendships with non-christians ( this one is huge). Contemporary.

Non modest dress (not always contemporary).

A focus on local mission work instead of mostly international? (Contempory) ETA, I don't have enough proof of this. 

Does this mean they are confirmed contemporary Christians? No. I just believe as a couple they are slowly heading that way. Although Jeremy's seminary choice discourages my thoughts on this a bit. lol 

Honestly, I think these are mostly Jeremy ideas. Where he goes she will most likely follow. Still, I could be completely wrong.

Okay, what friends who are non-christians do they have?  And hasn't Jill done many of these?  Do you think she is moving that way?  

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

the likes of TD Jakes (Woman Thou are Loose - written in his very conservative days)

I think you mean Woman Thou Art Loosed. That's one instance where that one letter makes a huge difference! :pb_lol:

15 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I think you mean Woman Thou Art Loosed. That's one instance where that one letter makes a huge difference! :pb_lol:

lol!!! So True! So very true! 

17 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Okay, what friends who are non-christians do they have?  And hasn't Jill done many of these?  Do you think she is moving that way?  

I should have said friends who are not practicing christians. 

Also, does Jill have non-christian friends or does she have possible recruits she takes picture of for the Gram?

Personally, I think Jill and Derrick are fraudulent. lol And I am a person who sometimes defends Jill. I don't know enough about Cross Church to know if it is conservative posing as contemporary or actually contemporary.

Also, in conservative groups, followers are supposed to be in the world, not of it. That means your friends should be, practicing christians, preferably from the same denomination for proper fellowship. Also activities with family members who are not practicing should be limited, less the pull you back into the world. Having "non-christian" friends is usually discouraged and in (many groups) basically not seen. If somehow you find yourself in a situation where you must deal with non practicing Christians, you must take it as an opportunity to bring them to the Lord. That should be your underlying mission and primary focus.

Again we don't really know these people, but I see the shift in Jinjer more so than the others.

ETA: I don't know their friends names but Jeremy has introduced several on their journey to official couplehood. They were in his bridal party and in their home after marriage. Sorry misunderstood your questions.

My thoughts after the recent episode:

JoKen - I love the way he looks at her. He’s in love. Their house looks nice. If they don’t mind being that close to his family, I guess it shouldn’t bother me. 

Benessa - Jessa was subdued for her. Wish she wouldn’t go on about Jana’s married state, but perhaps was primed or prompted by producers. I laughed at Ben’s snort/laugh when he was carrying in “bar stools.” Do any of you think he was Jessa might drink occasionally?

Joystin - I don’t get an abusive vibe from him. He seems much like a good ol ‘ boy and she’s a good ol’ gal. I also think getting a decent RV would be a good investment for them. You can usually pick up some really good ones in the States when Snowbirds decide to sell and go with the park model type. 

Jana - She is able to do a lot. Hope she is happy and content. Wish she wasn’t lumped with the younger ones so often. 

JinJer - She plays piano quite well. I think she will grow into her role if Pastor’s wife. They seem to have fun with each other.

Siren - Add me to the Ewww on his heating up questionable leftovers. It did seem to be scripted so kind of glad he halfassed it. I bet Josiah picked up the term “one night shag” when he was interacting with Aussie fundies. Wish there was a more creative outlet for him. Didn’t he take some accounting courses from College Minus? He has lost his Joie de Vivre. Hope he finds it again. Lauren  seems pretty positive, so maybe together they can be happy or content. 

Singing Lost Girls - Wasn’t a fan of it. Hope they had fun recording and working with Aunt D. Yet another way to keep their brand alive. 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:06 PM, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Yup. I called it in another thread. The Greek honeymoon would be filled with Kendra's excessive giggling. At least they're starting with the Siren courtship early instead of dragging that out all season. I just hope we get to see JD and Abbie this season, and not have to wait until whenever the next season will be (late fall? winter?). 

I think they will stop the season at Garrett's birth so I wouldn't expect any Jabbie this season. 

Leftovers: I was raised in a leftover-loving household. I routinely brought in leftovers for lunch from elementary school onwards, and my family even has a term called MAMA-ing: if we're eating a big meal and there will be leftovers, but only enough for one person (or you want to eat multiple servings), you MAMA it: Mine And Mine Alone. I think eating tons of leftovers influenced my love of meal prepping and cold pizza/pasta. I'm looking forward to coming home for a few days around the holidays because it will mean my dad's lasagne...and even better, eating my dad's lasagne the next day straight out of the fridge, not even bothering to microwave it because it's that damn good. 

Also, I really like to make new meals out of leftovers, as does the rest of my family; my dad's favorite post-Thanksgiving dish is to take the leftover turkey and make turkey tikka masala. I like to take the dregs of my meal preps (i.e. whatever wasn't enough to make into another meal box) and make up stir fries or salads. As long as you know how long you have to get through something, or you freeze it, leftovers are awesome, especially stews and pastas because the flavors get more time to meld together. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

my dad's favorite post-Thanksgiving dish is to take the leftover turkey and make turkey tikka masala.

We make Thanksgiving Shepherd's Pie:

Press the dressing into a pie plate (like a crust)

Fill with (all leftovers) turkey, peas, sweet potatoes, green beans, whatever veggies you had, top with mashed potatoes. Bake until heated through. SO good.

My granddaddy used to make fried dressing sandwiches for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving. I'm Southern -- our dressing fills up a huge roasting pan and is never inside the bird, so it's easy to cut a "slice" of cold leftover dressing, much as you would cut a cake in a pan. 

Sometimes we make fresh pizzas at home, and the left-overs will always make a good salad the next day. There is no salad in that salad, but onions, corn, bellpepper, tomato, tuna, cheese, Ananas, ham, olives and salami...well you know, everythjing that can be put on a pizza.

But they are our left-overs and our salad. That is totally different from what I would serve others, when I invite them for a meal...

Inviting  guests to your home to eat  two day old reheated casserole is tacky and cheap as hell. Even if you don’t have much fresh made Hamburger helper is preferable. At least it shows you tried. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My granddaddy used to make fried dressing sandwiches for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving. I'm Southern -- our dressing fills up a huge roasting pan and is never inside the bird, so it's easy to cut a "slice" of cold leftover dressing, much as you would cut a cake in a pan. 

Oh God yes!!! Kitchen sink dressing...bread, mushrooms, onions, celery, sliced carrots, god...the entire damn kitchen sink goes in there. Plenty of Thyme and Sage, salt, pepper, use chicken broth for the liquid, pats of butter on top before baking...shit, gotta make some soon. Cut a slice of that stuff, spread some mashed 'taters on top, that's a meal!!! add left over green bean casserole (with canned green beans and cream of crap soup) and my tongue will beat the shit outta my face to get it. 

10 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Oh God yes!!! Kitchen sink dressing.

*raises hand sheepishly*

Is dressing like stuffing?  Forgive my ignorance, but in this instance, Google is NOT my friend!

Absolutely no problem with eating leftovers, or even sharing them informally with a friend or significant other. But leftovers of questionable age and origin when you’re trying to impress someone you hope will marry you soon? Not hitting the right note..... that’s definitely the time to go “all out” and you know..... go buy some new ingredients from a grocery store? That surely can’t be asking too much in such a circumstance?

Save eating leftovers for when you’ve been married for a few years and are too tired to cook because you have umpteen kids to run after.... so like, their inevitable future.

1 hour ago, Scrabblemaster said:

There is no salad in that salad, but onions, corn, bellpepper, tomato, tuna, cheese, Ananas, ham, olives and salami...well you know, everythjing that can be put on a pizza.

But they are our left-overs and our salad. That is totally different from what I would serve others, when I invite them for a meal...

I'd be tickled as punch if you served me that. Sounds delish.

32 minutes ago, LunaBlue said:

Is dressing like stuffing?  Forgive my ignorance, but in this instance, Google is NOT my friend!

Yankees call it stuffing. Southerners call it dressing. And it's actually vastly different. Yankees use white bread; we use cornbread. They put that white-bread-slimy-concoction inside the bird (hence:  stuffing). We don't. Ours isn't slimy - it's mealy. :)

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived