IGNORED

Counting On Season 5/6/7 Who Knows? It's on Tonight!

Coconut Flan

I might be an idiot and just not paying attention, but I thought Austin and Joy were fixing up their house for themselves to use and enjoy. I didn't realize they would get things how they want them, then turn around and move out. That would infuriate me whether I had a baby or not. I knew Austin's job was fixing up houses, I just assumed they would still have their own house and that was the one they were showing on TLC. I'm naive. 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

because what happens when the kids grow up and Jeremy pastors at a huge church?

She'll be too busy running or attending every single thing the women's ministry does! She'll be filling in for every call-in at the children's Sunday school program, she'll be going on her zillionth mission-tourism trip to [wherever that church has sister churches it has planted and sponsors]. A mega church is just a corporation. There's never a quiet time.

24 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

She'll be too busy running or attending every single thing the women's ministry does! She'll be filling in for every call-in at the children's Sunday school program, she'll be going on her zillionth mission-tourism trip to [wherever that church has sister churches it has planted and sponsors]. A mega church is just a corporation. There's never a quiet time.

Basically part two of the Duggar ranch. But what will she have done for herself? Nothing. From famous fundie daughter to Mega church minister's wife. All supporting roles.  And maybe that is what she wants for herself. Or maybe she hasn't considered a life outside of that. I know it is not a problem for others, but I hold Jinger to the same standards that I hold the others. Maybe even moreso because she married outside of fundieville and left the family area. Exposure. I believe - to those who are given much,  much is expected.

While looking down pond, Jinger should only see a reflection of herself. She is no better than her mother or her sisters.

26 minutes ago, PrivatelySnarking said:

I agree! What are they doing? Living in the RV with the baby until they finish up a new house or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if it's true that they're staying with Austin's parents. Something had to happen to the home. Maybe they'll feature it on the show.

Am catching up on most recent episodes of Counting On. 

First Impression: Josiah went from being one of my favorite pet fundies to OMG what a creepy guy.  His courtship proposal was lame, his date where he cooked left overs and ate with plastic silverware, playing twenty questions lame.  Good God, take her out for a nice dinner.   IMHO is he the most creepy fundie on counting on, just ick.   

Perhaps I am a bit biased as he looks and reminds me so much of Josh. 

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Okay, what is a contemporary Christian?  What would that mean to you and how would you know she went that way?

I will say that when you have a new baby or are getting ready to its easy to fall back into what you were raised.  I did a bit, and I don't think my mother was the best at that roll.  I've worked through it, but I do know that the falling into what you were taught is common.  I can see someone  wanting something different and having to fight their instincts to get there, with some back sliding.  

Jinjer is an extremely new mother at this point, so I am not referencing her parenting skills. I just think she and Jeremy's life may look more palatable and mainstream, but she's not doing anything much differently than her sisters (and to some extent her mother). Actually, Michelle at least had a real estate license and semi career before entering the throes of fundiedom. 

I am not discounting the vital roles of mother and wife (clergy or non). I am saying that you can take the girl out of Duggar but you can't take the Duggar out of the girl.

More on contemporary Christianity later. Gotta run.

Lately  People seem to be reading into the Duggars ( and Bates) what they want to see or believe With precious little evidence IMO.  

1 hour ago, PrivatelySnarking said:

I agree! What are they doing? Living in the RV with the baby until they finish up a new house or what?

Living at Austin's parents house. They sold the house they fixed up in June. So when Gideon was about 4 months old. Recent instagram posts seem to be around Austin's parents' camp. 

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Lauren actually seems pretty normal and somewhat interesting to me. I don’t really get any weird vibes from her beyond the general fundie weirdness they all share. Josiah, on the other hand... I don’t know. Something about him just strikes me as so off, and the more I see of him these days the more those vague alarm bells are ringing. I actually get uncomfortable watching him and I’m not even entirely sure what it is.

I feel like I'm watching a Stepford version of Josiah.  The enthusiastic and engaging kid seems to be gone, as if one too many compromises needed to be made and he checked out.

4 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Do they have to though?  If flipping houses is your job you might not have that much of a choice.  I will agree they should have thought of it before and maybe had 2 houses going if possible, but its not always possible.

I watch a bunch of house flipping shows. Exactly none of the flippers have lived in the house being flipped, they have a home of their own and are flipping as an investment.  Living in a flip house slows down the renovation, and time is money with those things. No way would I want to move from house to house, even without an infant. Get your home base established and then work on your flipping business.

18 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I feel like I'm watching a Stepford version of Josiah.  The enthusiastic and engaging kid seems to be gone, as if one too many compromises needed to be made and he checked out.

Very very few people stay like they were as a child or teen and that’s appropriate. If he was the same person he is at 21 that he was at 15 that would be bizarre. And adulting is full of compromises, letting childhood things go and acceptance of reality. It’s not always fair or fun but you just deal. 

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Not to be picky, but Lauren has a gluten sensitivity, not an allergy. It’s an important distinction. A sensitivity can cause unpleasant symptoms but an allergy, depending on severity, can kill you.

Lauren actually seems pretty normal and somewhat interesting to me. I don’t really get any weird vibes from her beyond the general fundie weirdness they all share. Josiah, on the other hand... I don’t know. Something about him just strikes me as so off, and the more I see of him these days the more those vague alarm bells are ringing. I actually get uncomfortable watching him and I’m not even entirely sure what it is.

I’ve been following this whole thread on Lauren and Josiah. And I completely agree. 

There is a clip of a TH I can’t remember if it’s the one at the top of this page or the first video on previous page, but it was of Josiah, and the way he  was talking he just sounds....god I don’t know what to make of it either, but something is just not right. And he did a kind of half blink and a smile and for a second, all I could think of was how much he reminded me of Josh. In terms of, there’s something so false about him, or this persona he is playing, and I can’t put my finger on it. 

The more I see/hear of him, the worse it gets. I mean damn,  Josiah, how long until the mask slips?

And then what? 

1 hour ago, SayWhat said:

Am catching up on most recent episodes of Counting On. 

First Impression: Josiah went from being one of my favorite pet fundies to OMG what a creepy guy.  His courtship proposal was lame, his date where he cooked left overs and ate with plastic silverware, playing twenty questions lame.  Good God, take her out for a nice dinner.   IMHO is he the most creepy fundie on counting on, just ick.   

Perhaps I am a bit biased as he looks and reminds me so much of Josh. 

This.  The courtship “surprise” was creepy.  I find everything he’s doing to be squicky.

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

This.  The courtship “surprise” was creepy.  I find everything he’s doing to be squicky.

I know that Josiah is a used car salesman, but damn he is really like a creepy used car salesman! 

How the the FJ turns. A few weeks ago Lauren was the creepy arranged forced on marriage choice who was going to make our boy Josiah miserable now we are at this :)  

51 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I watch a bunch of house flipping shows. Exactly none of the flippers have lived in the house being flipped, they have a home of their own and are flipping as an investment.  Living in a flip house slows down the renovation, and time is money with those things. No way would I want to move from house to house, even without an infant. Get your home base established and then work on your flipping business.

Thank you, I have never heard of a flipper living in the homes that they're renovating and moving every time they sell, so I was super confused as to why Joy and Austin were planning to move. I would not be thrilled to have to move in with my in-laws after getting used to having my own space, especially with a baby, but to each their own. I'm sure they're making it work.

18 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

How the the FJ turns. A few weeks ago Lauren was the creepy arranged forced on marriage choice who was going to make our boy Josiah miserable now we are at this :)  

Wait, you mean as we see more of them our opinions about one or the other may or may not change?! No way! ;) 

In Canada if you live in your reno for min 6 mos you don’t have to pay capital gains tax as it’s considered your principal residence.  Is it the same in US? 

My parent flipped houses when I was growing up and we sometimes lived in the flips. Generally, if it was a house that was going to take longer for whatever reason we lived there. We moved all the time, though generally within the same area. We sometimes stayed with my grandparents when we were in between houses. If my dad thought it was a quick flip or if he was doing a joint flip with other family members we didn't live there. 

Honestly, it was not an ideal way to grow up for a lot of reasons but it did make the transition to military life and then back to civilian life but with a job that requires some moving around much easier for me. On our last move I had the house completely unpacked within 3 days, including pictures on the wall and all the boxes and packing materials gone. 

I will say that as dysfunctional as my parents marriage was the moves were something they decided together. I hope that Joy wasn't pressured into the move with a new baby if that wasn't what she wanted. I have not seen the clip but I feel bad for her if she was blindsided with the move. 

I think it may make a difference if house flippers are strictly professionals or not, like the El Moussas. In any event, being itinerant is not something I would enjoy, but I'm a nester and homebody. I do wonder if Joy had any say in the matter, or is whatever he decides is best for the family is what happens because he is the headship. I do hope he plans on getting her a home of her own.

We're flippers - we live in the houses we're flipping. It sucks a lot of the time, but it's a good side hustle that allows us to have a lot of fun. 

It also keeps possessions to a minimum, which is also handy. :)

Maybe my snark is EXTRA today (seriously hard day at work)-but my takeaways are both bitchy: I know it’s been mentioned before, but it’s really starting to get to me that many of the Duggars use “whenever” when they mean “when.” I started gulping wine each time it happened during these episodes (got through a whole bottle by myself-new drinking game?!) Also, Jeremy is from Downingtown, not Downington. Maybe it’s because I grew up VERY close to Downingtown, but it drove me crazy. Come on TLC-it doesn’t take more than a quick google search to get it right!

36 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

In Canada if you live in your reno for min 6 mos you don’t have to pay capital gains tax as it’s considered your principal residence.  Is it the same in US? 

Don’t know for sure, but I assume it’s similar here in the US. My best friend bought some land to build a house and found out a few months ago that if he waits until he’s owned the land for a year, he’ll save about $12k in taxes and permit fees.

I have to admit, when Ben put the stuffed animal under sleeping Henrys head, I smiled and awed.   I didn’t find it amusing that Josiah thinks he made a grand meal by stealing random leftovers and heating them all up together.  He was lazy and cheep.  

It looks like Jana dose what she wants when she wants within their little world.  It could be worse I guess.  I’m glad they included Mack in the CD even if the songs are all the same and luke warm in quality.  

How compatible will house flipping be to the fundie lifestyle? It’ll be harder to move from house to house when you’ve got 6 kids and one on the way with no plans to stop having them. I’m sure Joy and Austin will eventually settle, or at least I hope they do.

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived