IGNORED

Counting On Season 5/6/7 Who Knows? It's on Tonight!

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, FreeSiah said:

How compatible will house flipping be to the fundie lifestyle? It’ll be harder to move from house to house when you’ve got 6 kids and one on the way with no plans to stop having them. I’m sure Joy and Austin will eventually settle, or at least I hope they do.

Isn’t that the logical choice? Save up money, keep one house for yourself and flip everything else?

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ElephantPatronus said:

I started gulping wine each time it happened during these episodes (got through a whole bottle by myself-new drinking game?!)

I would love an updated Counting On Drinking Game! I'll start with some of my own rules, I would not advise trying to stick to all of them at once.  Or do, what the hell do I care.   

Take a sip: every mention of chaperones, purity, modesty, saving first kiss for marriage, "season of life", "purposing", precious, Jinger says "babe", the word "whenever" is used incorrectly, Duggar male or husband recoils at the very suggestion of femininity in any form

2 sips: A Duggar is seen eating a pickle, Duggar singing/poorly played instruments, someone is knocked up, unattended child in perilous situation, someone actually does something considered "work", shameless corporate sponsor plug, weird Duggar food creations, cultural insensitivity whilst abroad, inappropriate barefootedness (you can fight amongst yourselves over this one), questions about Jana's love life 

Finish your drink: Jill/Derick/Josh sighting, Jana enters a courtship/engagement, Michelle is magically pregnant again, courtship/engagement standards are broken in scandalous fashion, someone finally breaks free/comes out

My thoughts on Josiah:

It really rubbed me the wrong way when he said he was "STILL trying to impress Lauren", as if it's a competition and once you've won (i.e. got married), no more effort needed. I can see where this comes from with their patriarchal upbringing, but even Meechelle and J-Blob keep emphasizing how important it is to constantly work on your relationship (apart from :output_eeMbjt:). Also, that whole storyline of him cooking a meal was so ridiculous. He actually added some leftovers out of a styrofoam container to his dish and you could clearly see the dip(?) being dried up and everything... Those leftovers must have been in the fridge for a while already. Same with the guacamole leftovers. Sorry, but none of that was impressive, if you don't consider a MAN cooking something that is extraordinary. He could have asked somebody for help and actually prepare a nice meal from scratch. And don't get me started on the flash cards and that "cat or dog" bullshit. Even the girls chaperoning them must have felt how awkward this was. Jenny, this is NOT how it has to be for you! FreeJenny!

I agree that physically, Josiah resembles Him Who Shall Not Be Named more and more, but there's not much he can do about that, so I am trying not to let that cloud my judgement.

On Jana/Jessa:

I liked that they showed how hands-on Jana was in the renovation project, but why do they always have to reference back to the fact that Jana is still single and men should not be scared away by her handiness. Jessa was selling her big time yet we didn't hear anything on the subject matter from Jana herself. Just let her be already :pb_rollseyes:

On JoKen:

Nobody even bothered to act surprised when they showed them the nursery. I bet they were all in on the "surprise" and JoKen told at least their parents in advance about the pregnancy.

On J'Austin:

It seems to me that Joy really does not enjoy being filmed and why did they have to re-enact that midwife appointment when she had a cold and wasn't feeling well? Again, I am certain the visit was scripted.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm done :my_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Living at Austin's parents house. They sold the house they fixed up in June. So when Gideon was about 4 months old. Recent instagram posts seem to be around Austin's parents' camp. 

Maybe this was a financial call. Maybe they'll help out at the camp as their ministry aka job. Unless Jim Bob is holding the bulk of the family money in trust for later use, these kidults are gonna have to find a sustainable way to maintain their lifestyles once the tv days have ended.

Look the little kids already got a new gig going. Big kids better get on board. lol

48 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

My thoughts on Josiah:

It really rubbed me the wrong way when he said he was "STILL trying to impress Lauren", as if it's a competition and once you've won (i.e. got married), no more effort needed. I can see where this comes from with their patriarchal upbringing, but even Meechelle and J-Blob keep emphasizing how important it is to constantly work on your relationship (apart from :output_eeMbjt:). Also, that whole storyline of him cooking a meal was so ridiculous. He actually added some leftovers out of a styrofoam container to his dish and you could clearly see the dip(?) being dried up and everything... Those leftovers must have been in the fridge for a while already. Same with the guacamole leftovers. Sorry, but none of that was impressive, if you don't consider a MAN cooking something that is extraordinary. He could have asked somebody for help and actually prepare a nice meal from scratch. And don't get me started on the flash cards and that "cat or dog" bullshit. Even the girls chaperoning them must have felt how awkward this was. Jenny, this is NOT how it has to be for you! FreeJenny!

I agree that physically, Josiah resembles Him Who Shall Not Be Named more and more, but there's not much he can do about that, so I am trying not to let that cloud my judgement.

On Jana/Jessa:

I liked that they showed how hands-on Jana was in the renovation project, but why do they always have to reference back to the fact that Jana is still single and men should not be scared away by her handiness. Jessa was selling her big time yet we didn't hear anything on the subject matter from Jana herself. Just let her be already :pb_rollseyes:

On JoKen:

Nobody even bothered to act surprised when they showed them the nursery. I bet they were all in on the "surprise" and JoKen told at least their parents in advance about the pregnancy.

On J'Austin:

It seems to me that Joy really does not enjoy being filmed and why did they have to re-enact that midwife appointment when she had a cold and wasn't feeling well? Again, I am certain the visit was scripted.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm done :my_biggrin:

The thing that was extra weird about the Josiah cooking episode is that other family members referenced that he actually liked to cook, and put attention to detail in his cooking, I know it could just be they have really, really low standards - but - in this case- the throw together / bad guacamole / random leftovers seems almost passive-aggressive. They weren’t even going for an inane “tee-he, boys in the kitchen, let’s make a 60’s sitcom joke on what big lugs they are “ schtick. It was very, very strange.  

I agree they should back off the Jana marital status commentary - and at first It seemed like it was going to be a really gross “ oh, don’t worry guys, she’s girly too! “ - But Jessa had a good joking twist to it. She was praising Jana for being all around great at absolutely everything, said how it could scare off guys, then added - ‘ but don’t let it scare you, she doesn’t mind if you’re not as smart as she is’

1 hour ago, DillyDally said:

On J'Austin:

It seems to me that Joy really does not enjoy being filmed and why did they have to re-enact that midwife appointment when she had a cold and wasn't feeling well?

I've been feeling the same way about Joy, and am wondering if it has anything to do with Jill (who's off the show) being her sister-mom.  Also wondering whether JB wanted them on the show, Austin agreed, and Joy had to go along with it but resents it.  Joy has been outspoken lately.  Examples:  Her "who cares what anyone thinks" comment, announcing that Austin wants a boy after he refused to state a preference, and saying that the baby has his nostrils right after Gideon was born.

I don't think she's trying very hard to keep sweet. 

24 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Examples:  Her "who cares what anyone thinks" comment, announcing that Austin wants a boy after he refused to state a preference, and saying that the baby has his nostrils right after Gideon was born.

I am not a fan of team Joystin, but I love this about Joy. Just say what is really going on and keep it straight. I struggle with this because of my own upbringing. So, I admire it when I see it from others.

Although, Joy does comes from a place of privilege in the family. She was one of the first to be sister mom'd/bro dadded. She was most likely given more room to be open with her thoughts. Gen 2As are slowly starting to come out of their shells, but for the most part all of them (even the males) struggle with speaking positive only and seeing the brighter conclusion of things. They received the worse of Jim Bob and Michelle because they were being reared in the days when both were going hard into that Bill Gothard authority crap. Pre camera days must have been rough.

I liked that Austin said about Joy and the baby being his world and that they’d do what was in their best interests.

Poor Kendras parents - grandparents and new parents in one year!! They looked bamboozled at the announcement- I hope kendra had told her parents prior!!! I guess they should have considered that when they agreed to marry her off.

9 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

In Canada if you live in your reno for min 6 mos you don’t have to pay capital gains tax as it’s considered your principal residence.  Is it the same in US? 

It’s two years here. So flippers either have a permanent home, or they try to finish the flip in significantly less than two years and take the capital gains hit, or they set two years as the renovation time frame for the beginning. 

4 hours ago, DillyDally said:

On JoKen:

I cant believe that Kendra would have been able to keep ANYTHING from mommy and daddy.  She likely texted them asking what brand of pregnancy test she should be using.

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

The thing that was extra weird about the Josiah cooking episode is that other family members referenced that he actually liked to cook, and put attention to detail in his cooking, I know it could just be they have really, really low standards - but - in this case- the throw together / bad guacamole / random leftovers seems almost passive-aggressive. They weren’t even going for an inane “tee-he, boys in the kitchen, let’s make a 60’s sitcom joke on what big lugs they are “ schtick. It was very, very strange.

It was very odd, because in the same scene they talk about how Lauren is gluten free.  You dont just dump unknown leftovers and feed it to someone avoiding gluten without knowing the origin of the food.  It really isnt that hard to cook beans, chicken, and rice from scratch  frozen bags.  

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I've been feeling the same way about Joy, and am wondering if it has anything to do with Jill (who's off the show) being her sister-mom.  Also wondering whether JB wanted them on the show, Austin agreed, and Joy had to go along with it but resents it.  Joy has been outspoken lately.  Examples:  Her "who cares what anyone thinks" comment, announcing that Austin wants a boy after he refused to state a preference, and saying that the baby has his nostrils right after Gideon was born.

This is why I don't think Austin is "turning into a bully" or what ever others have said. He knew that Joy wasn't the shy, quiet, keep sweet, delicate lady. Austin's mom seems to be pretty confident and outspoken and not afraid of getting dirty and I think he was wanting someone like that and he found it in Joy.  The only other sister I can see doing what Joy was doing is Jana, the big difference between Joy & Jana is Jana is more lady like and prim and proper where as Joy is more rough and tumble. Jana was the oldest of the 4 sisters so she spent her days with girls doing "girl things" while Joy is in the middle of 8 boys she spent her days playing with the boys and it shows in her personality and demeanor, for being in such a patriarchal home she was always pretty bossy and unafraid to speak her mind even to other males. That comes from her place in the birth order and the obvious parental neglect from per parents. There weren't there to reinforce the gender stereo types when she was a kid, they were too busy having babies.

I know two sets of people who flip houses for a living, and both live in the houses they are renovating before flipping (and both have young children).  Of course, they can't live there while the house is gutted, but once it's liveable, they're in there until they buy another and move into it.

I would guess it would depend on how much capital you have and if that would allow you to carry two houses.

I have another friend who flipped cottages for a living, and made enough money doing it that he was able to buy his last house outright, with cash.

10 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I know two sets of people who flip houses for a living, and both live in the houses they are renovating before flipping (and both have young children).  Of course, they can't live there while the house is gutted, but once it's liveable, they're in there until they buy another and move into it.

I would guess it would depend on how much capital you have and if that would allow you to carry two houses.

I have another friend who flipped cottages for a living, and made enough money doing it that he was able to buy his last house outright, with cash.

I know 2 people who flip and both own their own homes and just flip properties, but they are also both older couples (late 40's) with grown kids and full time jobs and flip on the side, to pay for their vacations and their vacation homes.

I'm sure Austin is flipping homes and saving up to buy a house outright so that they can have a home and still flip houses. You know the whole debt free life they insist on and that includes owning their own home with out a Mortgage.

Wow that album is.. something. It's not the girl's fault but the singing is not arranged very well, it sounds like it was thrown together really fast and Michelle's creepy voice at the beginning doesn't really make it better.

Kendra is growing on me. She appears like a bright and well-mannered 12-year-old (who, disturbingly, is now a mother) who has a positive outlook on life and enough intelligence to form a rational thought, albeit probably much guided by her own mother. Too bad she won't now be getting education or forming her own goals outside of popping out blessings.

The whole 'Joy and Kendra go to prenatal appointments' is a clear answer to FJ moaning about the Duggar's lack of prenatal care. Joy's answer to "did your mother or sisters experience glucose problems" was insincere; either none of them were tested, or she lied because plot line.

Until now I have really only watched random episodes of Counting On, so I could be way of the mark here. But does it seem like the newest episodes might be... just a little bit more interesting than before? :faint:

Josiah's cooking was just downright disgusting. I don't know what to make of it. If you want to whip up a quick meal using bad guacamole and questionable leftovers for yourself, sure, go crazy. But he was making this meal specifically for Lauren, his girlfriend, who he's supposedly trying to impress. And being filmed while doing so. And he chose that? Props to her for actually eating it, because I couldn't do it. Hopefully she didn't wind up with food poisoning. Blech.

Seriously, what is this dude's issue?

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Josiah's cooking was just downright disgusting. I don't know what to make of it. If you want to whip up a quick meal using bad guacamole and questionable leftovers for yourself, sure, go crazy. But he was making this meal specifically for Lauren, his girlfriend, who he's supposedly trying to impress. And being filmed while doing so. And he chose that? Props to her for actually eating it, because I couldn't do it. Hopefully she didn't wind up with food poisoning. Blech.

Seriously, what is this dude's issue?

To her credit - she didn’t eat the guacamole, said it was disgusting, and tossed it out. Yea, it was, to me, super weird. Especially with the whole “trying to impress her” spin. No. Even if he couldn’t cook ( which Joe and one of the girls said he can ) - he could of made a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich and had it be not so strange. And then in the cat-dog game and he tries to talk about why they are perfect together - the most passionless laundry list of what makes a good business partner. Uggggggggggg

11 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

To her credit - she didn’t eat the guacamole, said it was disgusting, and tossed it out. Yea, it was, to me, super weird. Especially with the whole “trying to impress her” spin. No. Even if he couldn’t cook ( which Joe and one of the girls said he can ) - he could of made a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich and had it be not so strange. And then in the cat-dog game and he tries to talk about why they are perfect together - the most passionless laundry list of what makes a good business partner. Uggggggggggg

Like I get that she doesn't eat gluten so that makes it harder, but come on. He had gluten-free wraps or tortillas or something there. I'm sure he knew far enough in advance that she was coming over that he could've swung out to the grocery store and picked up some other gluten free stuff. Or hell, just make her a fruit and cheese plate or something. Baked chicken with vegetables? Anything.

The more I think about it the more WTF it seems. It's not even that there was just no passion or excitement there to cook for his new girlfriend, the girl he's trying to get to marry him. It was almost - no, not almost, it was - just blatantly disrespectful. If I were ever dating a guy who told me he was going to cook me a meal and it turned out to be old leftovers reheated in a frying pan, I would assume he was either a total jackass or trying to sabotage the relationship. Either way, there probably wouldn't be another date.

4 hours ago, kiwi said:

I liked that Austin said about Joy and the baby being his world and that they’d do what was in their best interests.

Poor Kendras parents - grandparents and new parents in one year!! They looked bamboozled at the announcement- I hope kendra had told her parents prior!!! I guess they should have considered that when they agreed to marry her off.

I feel certain that her very first call was to her Mom and sister because those people were completely unsurprised!

25 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

The more I think about it the more WTF it seems. It's not even that there was just no passion or excitement there to cook for his new girlfriend, the girl he's trying to get to marry him. It was almost - no, not almost, it was - just blatantly disrespectful.

It was. If I had a sensitivity and needed things to be a certain way and that was all the effort some guy put in, he wouldn't be seeing me again. 

15 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I feel like I'm watching a Stepford version of Josiah.  The enthusiastic and engaging kid seems to be gone, as if one too many compromises needed to be made and he checked out. 

Absolutely. The life has been beaten out of him. He's now a "real man" who flips houses, sells used cars etc and makes babies. When he briefly was [Duggar dating] Marjorie he was exploring a graphic design career with her Dad. Now he replaces wax toilet rings. I, too, hate how much he is now like Josh. But thinking back to Josh in the early specials [even though we know what he did at that time] he, too, had LIFE in him. In a way, moving to DC gave that back too him but it was too much temptation for him to handle with no experience outside cult life.

'Siah is going thru the motions of being "in love" enjoying "Sweet Fellowship" etc. And, I think he loathes his father to the core.

On the meaning of "CONTEMPORARY CHRISTIAN": Normal Christians who vote their own conscience [YES, many DID vote for Hilary] women have careers or jobs, kids may go to daycare, some may homeschool but most go to public school or Christian [think like Catholic School] School,  they wear what everyone else wears. Church is about social life as well as faith. Kids sports leagues, Date Nights etc. These are your neighbors who go to church most weeks.

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Absolutely. The life has been beaten out of him. He's now a "real man" who flips houses, sells used cars etc and makes babies. When he briefly was [Duggar dating] Marjorie he was exploring a graphic design career with her Dad. Now he replaces wax toilet rings.

'Siah is going thru the motions of being "in love" enjoying "Sweet Fellowship" etc. And, I think he loathes his father to the core.

Wow. Thanks for this mini recap. I had forgotten about the graphic design. The part of your quote that I bolded really is interesting too!

I mean what's worst to me about the leftovers were that they were "someone's leftovers." If they were his it was still pretty lazy, inconsiderate to her culinary restrictions, and disrespectful but it not even being his food? WTF. There's like twenty people in that house whose food that could have been for them to eat after. What if that person had a cold? Or wanted to eat that themselves? Or it'd been in there as long as the guacamole? It's definitely a departure from Jessa going to Ben's house to make his favorite meal with his sisters or Jinger making dinner with Jeremy's grandmother. Josiah's storyline is just carelessly scraping random things out of the Duggar fridge. It's like they told him to make her a meal as a plotpoint and he agreed, and then this was the effort he put into it to go on national television. If he thinks a lot of his family's tv ministry, he has a funny way of showing it. As for Lauren, props to her for throwing out the guac and frankly telling him it was gross. Maddening that the bar is so low that we're all just thankful she didn't make herself eat it to please him.  

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

If I were ever dating a guy who told me he was going to cook me a meal and it turned out to be old leftovers reheated in a frying pan, I would assume he was either a total jackass or trying to sabotage the relationship. Either way, there probably wouldn't be another date.

I very briefly dated a guy in college who called one day and said he wanted to make me dinner and he was coming over. Okay - sounds good! 

He got there and was like "what do you have in the fridge?" 
Uh - so you wanted to cook me dinner with MY food? 

He didn't last long after that.

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived