IGNORED

Snowboarder issues non-apology after posting tricks video on a graveyard

AmazonGrace

The backstory:

A snowboarder filmed a promotional  video in Finland and posted this pic:

dfde14b9188247bebeb6fd8fd0cf1662.jpg

People were kind of mad because this is a graveyard and he damaged a memorial for those who were buried there namelessly, incl. stillborn children.

He posted this apology

From instagram: jesseaugustinus  

About a year ago we snowboarded a marble stone in Finland while being on a private trip with friends. We had no idea about this being a memorial stone, if we had known that this location was a memorial, we would never have snowboarded there. The stone has been a well-known spot in the snowboard community for years, and many people have ridden it before us. To us it seemed like a regular marble stone with a “welcome to the church” writing. It has never been my intention to offend anyone while doing my sport. To all the people I offended, my sincere apologies and we will make sure no such thing will happen in the future. Jesse

I think this is a total non apology, he's sorry that you were offended. It's not that freaking hard to find out you're in a grave yard FGS, and even if it was a regular sign welcoming you to church would it be okay to damage it then? No.

Also how come this spot is allegedly such a famous snowboarding place and everyone snowboards there for YEARS  yet no one supposedly had any way of knowing it was a graveyard?  The stone has been there since 2015

I could see him not knowing that it was a grave. When I first saw the Holocaust memorial in Berlin, I did not know what it was, and actually did not realize what it was until I saw a news clip about it later. My friend who lived in Berlin years previously also did not know about it, even though he left after it was built.

Snowboarding or skateboarding on a concrete or stone slab would most likely not damage it. I dont engage in those sports, but it is common for people to find public or private stairs or other things to do tricks on, and I dont see the big deal with it (edit to add: 'it' being a regular flight of stairs or bench. not on a memorial stone)

I think the cross on a stone near a chapel is a pretty clear sign you should maybe find out what it is before you snowboard on it. If you google translate the text it gives  "anonymously in memory of the tombs" which to me sounds like something you probably shouldn't mess with. A better translation would be "To the memory of those buried in the area anonymously"

Anyway I don't believe he didn't know it was a cemetery. He claims he got there because it's a famous place for snowboarders and everyone does it so if it's so famous he knew where he was and went there on purpose and didn't just accidentally happen to find a random stone.

The stone and the cross were  damaged and the church is suing.

I'm sorry but even if they didn't know it was grave stones, doing snowboard tricks in church ground is disrespectful in itself. Have these people learnt nothing from the Logan Paul controversy, think before you act and definitely think before you put it online. 

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

To us it seemed like a regular marble stone with a “welcome to the church” writing.

Well that should have been a big sign that maybe they shouldn't be using that to do tricks at least without first going to the church and getting permission. 

Archived