IGNORED

Bridging the Divide

Bethella

So far, I have had to block 8 people for my Facebook page. These were all people that wanted to tell me that my insulin dependent children were too expensive to insure, that they didn't want to subsidize keeping my kids alive, and that if they died, who cares. My children. If they die, these people felt the need to tell me, personally, they wouldn't care. How am I supposed to build a bridge to these people? How am I supposed to tell them that I will work with them?
I won't. I just won't. They can go to hell. I hope they lose their health care, I hope they lose their jobs, I hope they lose their houses, I hope they lose everything. Because a lot of these are terrible people who are actively helping that their fellow citizens will be hurt.. They are rejoicing at the idea that poor people may be left without money, maybe left without homes. They are excited by the prospect of the families ripped apart when undocumented immigrants are deported.
They are sadists. They are racists. They are people who voted for Trump. I won't work with them. I will do my best to make sure they are frustrated, they are pissed off, they are thwarted at every fucking turn. Because they are bad people who believe bad things and want bad things to happen to others.

8 minutes ago, bea said:

So far, I have had to block 8 people for my Facebook page. These were all people that wanted to tell me that my insulin dependent children were too expensive to insure, that they didn't want to subsidize keeping my kids alive, and that if they died, who cares. My children. If they die, these people felt the need to tell me, personally, they wouldn't care. How am I supposed to build a bridge to these people? How am I supposed to tell them that I will work with them?
I won't. I just won't. They can go to hell. I hope they lose their health care, I hope they lose their jobs, I hope they lose their houses, I hope they lose everything. Because a lot of these are terrible people who are actively helping that their fellow citizens will be hurt.. They are rejoicing at the idea that poor people may be left without money, maybe left without homes. They are excited by the prospect of the families ripped apart when undocumented immigrants are deported.
They are sadists. They are racists. They are people who voted for Trump. I won't work with them. I will do my best to make sure they are frustrated, they are pissed off, they are thwarted at every fucking turn. Because they are bad people who believe bad things and want bad things to happen to others.

Yet these are the same people who call themselves pro life. The same people who are anti-abortion and want to defund Planned Parenthood. Of course, these also tend to be the same person that want a military intervention for any imagined slight. I can't imagine telling someone that their loved one is too expensive to insure. Where are their typical anti-abortion talking points - you know, the ones where someone could be aborting the person who cures cancer, a future President, a great scientist, etc. Your children could grow up to do any of these things. I don't blame you for blocking them. I'm so sorry this happened to you and I'm angry as well. 

It is good to remember that this divide didn't start with Trump and wouldn't have been much smaller if another candidate had won. If Ted Cruz had won there would still be a massive divide with people not giving any shits if @beas children died. If Hillary had won, still a massive divide. A big part of the divide is caused by deep seated racism, religious beliefs, and people being trained to not think critically. While there are a few who can be swayed by personal stories and conversation, most of the GOP base isn't going to drop these beliefs that cause the divide any time soon. 

I think right now the part of MLK's speech that isn't often quoted is very fitting. 

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy

The GOP has created a movement that will let children die and not care all while claiming they are doing it for God. The time to calmly talk this out came and went a long time ago. We don't have the luxury of letting things happen gradually now by hoping that we can change folks slowly by talking. 

We need to focus on stopping the voter suppression that the GOP is using to make sure they stay in power. We need to focus on teaching children and teen to think critically to prevent them from being brainwashed into voting against their best interest. 

All of this @formergothardite, the divide will never disappear completely, but I think it can get smaller by actually teaching especially children while their young. I can't tell you how many people on both sides I've known over the years who still don't understand the basics of government, so civics classes need to come back.

Work on gerrymandering needs to happen, as well as working on voters rights since this was the first election without the VRA.

So many of the republicans do not care about my life or ones that I love, so yes I will repay and not care about them, especially those that don't care about their own interests.

@bea, I'm heartbroken that people are saying such vile things about your children. :pb_sad: 

Archived