IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

Okay, touché. Someone TRYING to be a professional, that is. 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

To many Fundies (I don't know about Charlotte) Lutherans are Catholic-lite.  So are Episcopalians and Methodists.  Beware!

Presbyterians, too, I suppose? (I always loved explaining our order of worship to visitors in my family's Presbyterian church as a child. "It's time to stand up." "Now we sit." "This is the Doxology so we don't get out the hymnal. Don't you know the words?")

1 minute ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Presbyterians, too, I suppose?

Some of them would probably be OK.  But they would have to be sufficiently 5 point Calvinist but not Arminian (depending on the Fundie) and the right kind of Reformed.

Confused?  So are we all.

@amandaaries Yes! Cabinet man is a Lutheran. He is a WELS Lutheran which is the strictest of them all.

I suppose putting all her Christian credentials up may discourage any gay couples from inquiring. Then she doesn't have to discriminate. It's actually a bad idea because people can easily make an assumption that they are being discriminated against if she turns them down. It's like she is looking for a lawsuit.

22 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I suppose putting all her Christian credentials up may discourage any gay couples from inquiring. Then she doesn't have to discriminate. It's actually a bad idea because people can easily make an assumption that they are being discriminated against if she turns them down. It's like she is looking for a lawsuit.

Especially considering that Kasich killed Ohio's RFRA Bill.

New post from Charlotte. It sounds like last year was a super difficult time for all of them. I don't know if more went on than what they shared on their blog, but it sounds like it was more of a challenge than one would expect from a break up and then the marriage of another sister. 

Old photos of a smiling, happy, beaming Charlotte with sister Brigid just kinda broke my heart. It seems like now the sisters feel that their time of closeness, spending time together and making happy memories is forever behind them. Charlotte seems to recognize that the blog is changing and she herself has changed. 

But selling MLM products is not going to fill the void that they have now, with Brigids absence and the folding of their blog and singing group. I can see how, for homeschooled teenage girls, that WAS their life - the blog, the singing gigs, and vintage fashion. So what do they turn to, now? Brigid has her new home and new husband and new life. The two remaining sisters are at the perfect age to venture out, get in the world, meet people, get new ideas, be exposed to new ways of thinking, ask questions, make friends, get jobs, maybe even date (!) and get to know who they themselves are as individuals. I wish they would do this. 

Staying home seems to be depressing for both of them; painful reminders of what their life used to be have to be everywhere. Now is the time for REAL change! Come on girls, GET OUT THERE and DO something!! Your life is just starting!

There's something very depressing about that post, I knew Jessica was struggling with Brigid's marriage and her own break up quite a bit, as she's usually the one writing. But I guess Charlotte has been struggling a lot to. 

I am happy to see that she's ventured out of vintage fashion though, I imagine the whole "vintage singer" aesthetic had to feel restrictive. 

10 minutes ago, FundiesInParis said:

There's something very depressing about that post, I knew Jessica was struggling with Brigid's marriage and her own break up quite a bit, as she's usually the one writing. But I guess Charlotte has been struggling a lot to. 

I am happy to see that she's ventured out of vintage fashion though, I imagine the whole "vintage singer" aesthetic had to feel restrictive. 

I'm sure it didn't help that Jessica didnt have a job or school to distract her, and no real social circle to just hang out with and have fun or let off steam. Poor Charlotte got the brunt of keeping after her sister.

I don't think they plan to fold the blog.  I think the kittens are showing their claws at us a trifle.  That is, if they do read here.

2016 was rough. The breakup Jessica went through threw us for a major, major loop; and Brigid’s courtship & successive engagement on top of that was almost enough to make us all break in two (relationships aren’t a walk in the park, friends!). But, praise God, we have all come out stronger and more Christ-like because of it…

Yes, I do get it has been a bad year for them and Jessica's broken engagement was really hard.   It might have been easier if she'd been allowed to date and not put all her eggs in one basket. 

It also begs the question, would they have been almost as broken in two if Jessica's relationship had ended in marriage and Gabe had still scooped up Brigid?  That would have been really hard on Charlotte.

And they are praising themselves for becoming more Christ-like.  Pass me a bucket.

though I am afraid this space has taken quite the beating. No, our content isn’t half as fun as it used to be; no, I’m not half as inspired to generate more content as I used to be. Have you wondered why we keep bring back old posts? 

Oh, yes.  We have noticed.

That season of blogging is passed, that “hey-day” of creativity & productivity has moved behind us. A new season is budding before our very eyes, and I am so excited to see where it goes! I have high hopes for 2017 and the many big changes that we are anticipating ahead  Thanks for hearing me out, and for sticking with us during this time of transition. More than ever, you readers mean the world to us. Stay tuned… this is just the beginning!

I join them in their high hopes.  

Fold the blog, have a new "hey-day" of creativity and productivity, make big changes, get off your cute little behinds and join the real world. Make a real new beginning!

I think their readers aren't that interested.  There were far fewer comments on Brigid's long farewell than I expected.

On 5/4/2017 at 1:13 PM, formergothardite said:

From Jessica's art page. Is this supposed to sound all deep and spiritual because it sounds like she is saying "I'm Christian and I can also see." Why not say she was given the gift of drawing? 

I'm a heathen and I can also see. I can't draw very well though. 

My artistic endeavors peaked at stick figures.

7 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I'll sit with you in that corner. I gave art a fair shot, but the picture my parents have kept on the walls, is - according to my SIL, who is a degreed art professional- "really shit". Also "they love you...nothing else would explain why they'd keep THAT on the wall". And "this shows that parental love transcends taste".

Moral of the story: Unless I'm painting a shed, I shouldn't be left alone with paint. And just because your parents think you're a genius, doesn't mean you are. Plus, they will keep that horrid picture up forever, and lovingly tell you "at least you tried". :)

i'm with you.  i can paint a wall, even give it a bit of a faux finish, but that's it.  those wine-and-painting sessions are trendy in my area right now, but i'm avoiding them like the proverbial plague, because i'd be stuck taking home a shitty painting at the end of the night.

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I'll sit with you in that corner. I gave art a fair shot, but the picture my parents have kept on the walls, is - according to my SIL, who is a degreed art professional- "really shit". Also "they love you...nothing else would explain why they'd keep THAT on the wall". And "this shows that parental love transcends taste".

Moral of the story: Unless I'm painting a shed, I shouldn't be left alone with paint. And just because your parents think you're a genius, doesn't mean you are. Plus, they will keep that horrid picture up forever, and lovingly tell you "at least you tried". :)

This made me giggle because we have our oldest daughter's painting on the wall and she finally said, "WHY"!

8 hours ago, catlady said:

i'm with you.  i can paint a wall, even give it a bit of a faux finish, but that's it.  those wine-and-painting sessions are trendy in my area right now, but i'm avoiding them like the proverbial plague, because i'd be stuck taking home a shitty painting at the end of the night.

I'm an absolute slop artist. I think I'd go to one of those things, make horrible paintings, and just give them to people I hate.

On 4/30/2017 at 1:30 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

If Pat Monahan were like 20, I'd just chalk up his music as pretty catchy, but he needs to grow as an artist and stop writing word salad lyrics that sound deep until you realize that they're utterly nonsensical (but they're not written to be). But dude is 48 years old and still writes like that. At this point it's just kind of sad. But hey, as long as kind of basic girls like Charlotte think his music is ~so deep~, he'll keep writing shitty Wernicke's Aphasia commercial jingles until the day he dies.

On 4/29/2017 at 1:03 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, if the song that speaks to you on a deep, enduring level involves a 45-year-old white dude unironically singing "so gangsta, I'm so thug", I'm going to judge you.

Been MIA for a while, not fully caught up, but...

Wait...he's singing unironically?! I legit thought Train came back fully conscious of how silly and ridiculous the songs are...and that was the joke. I was completely prepared to enjoy the songs in a "they know that it's all just silly fun, even though people read way too much into it and isn't that kind of amusing and clever...wink, wink, they're at least self-aware" kind of way. Dang. I'm sticking with my headcanon on this one because the alternative is depressing.

This is especially true of my pre-teen years. Oh boy, if you ever want to make me feel absolutely uncomfortable, bring up years 6-8, and you’ll have me blushing all over. 

When did 6-8 year olds become pre-teens? I think of 10-12 as pre-teens. I feel rather sad for her that she looks at her childhood pictures and is embarrassed. She says when she looks at those pictures she only sees her mistakes that she doesn't want to think about. 

On 5/5/2017 at 7:49 PM, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I peaked at copying those little books that take you step by step through drawing something like a dog. And even then, I never got past the most simple ones.

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

When did 6-8 year olds become pre-teens? I think of 10-12 as pre-teens.

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too. Unless she meant grades 6-8 and she thinks she's being charmingly British or something (even though, as far as I know, British 'years' and American 'grades' don't really correspond)?

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, I thought that was weird, too. Unless she meant grades 6-8 and she thinks she's being charmingly British or something (even though, as far as I know, British 'years' and American 'grades' don't really correspond)?

I feel like Canada interchangeably says year/grade when referring to their schooling levels. But my reference point comes only from really old episodes of Degrassi: TNG, like pre-Drake as Jimmy-in-a-wheelchair old... and I'm 99% sure that Charlotte hasn't seen Degrassi or a lick of Canadian children's television. I mean, when she claims the floptastic remake of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as an amazing film, you know her access to actual quality entertainment is greatly limited. 

(She did delete that post about Hey Soul Sister from her blog...  maybe something hit the left side of her brain and logic kicked in? Or perhaps she's reading here now and learned the real meaning of the lyrics from all you awesome FJers? In that case, HI CHARLOTTE!)

4 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

I feel like Canada interchangeably says year/grade when referring to their schooling levels. But my reference point comes only from really old episodes of Degrassi: TNG, like pre-Drake as Jimmy-in-a-wheelchair old... and I'm 99% sure that Charlotte hasn't seen Degrassi or a lick of Canadian children's television. I mean, when she claims the floptastic remake of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as an amazing film, you know her access to actual quality entertainment is greatly limited. 

(She did delete that post about Hey Soul Sister from her blog...  maybe something hit the left side of her brain and logic kicked in? Or perhaps she's reading here now and learned the real meaning of the lyrics from all you awesome FJers? In that case, HI CHARLOTTE!)

I really don't want to make fun of an extremely sheltered person's initial steps into more worldly music/film/TV/restaurants, but dear lord I just want to sit Charlotte down over real Italian food at a real not-shitty Italian restaurant and introduce her to Fleet Foxes, James Bond, and object constancy with regard to her sister(s).

5 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

I feel like Canada interchangeably says year/grade when referring to their schooling levels.

Nope. Not in my experience, anyway. We do say 'grade 1' instead of 'first grade'. I'm trying to wrack my brain to remember if anyone ever said 'year 1', 'year 2', etc. in place of 'grade 9', 'grade 10' in high school, but I don't recall it happening. Now in university, for sure, it's always years - you're in year 1, year 2, year 3 or year 4 rather than being a freshman, sophomore, etc. We didn't use those terms when I was in high school, either - juniors were grade 9's and 10's, seniors were grade 11's and 12's.

Obviously Canada is a huge country, and it could be different in other areas.

12 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Unless she meant grades 6-8 and she thinks she's being charmingly British or something (even though, as far as I know, British 'years' and American 'grades' don't really correspond)?

That would make more sense. I keep forgetting their obsession with pretending they are British women from the 1940's. 

11 hours ago, formergothardite said:

That would make more sense. I keep forgetting their obsession with pretending they are British women from the 1940's. 

Yeah Brits are totally charmed by Americans that  'try and act British'. If I had a dollar every time someone tried to act British around my husband, make stupid British jokes, or fawn over his accent.....we could probably fly all six of us to theUK. It gets so old.

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit new to this but these Boyer sisters are so fascinating to me, I want to share my thoughts and hear the thoughts of others.  

The Boyer sisters are each so very talented and bright but living in such a way that would make anyone crazy. I feel like God (in the broadest sense of the word) is found in DOING, in striving and challenging, but Jessica and Charlotte are now driving themselves into the ground by continuing to stay at home. It's encouraging to see that Charlotte is having a go at photography, but she has never had the chance to attend art college or anything else that may have broadened her horizons. 

Posts on the blog have become so infrequent that I feel as is their hearts are really not in it anymore. Without the three of them rattling around together it's probably been more of a chore to generate content. 

I really hope Brigid and Gabe are happy together and I was so hoping to hear more about their lives before she left the blog... Especially the post about the construction of her wedding dress which never eventuated! It doesn't surprise me one but that she's opted out, as all her energies are probably being taken up by her new career. I just really wish her well. 

And as for Jessica, my heart aches for her. Every time I see photos of her looking wistfully into the distance, I wonder what it would be like if she ran away from home and went to college or got a job, or did some missionary work. How much confidence she would get from being more active in her own life rather than dogmatically and insistently refusing to entertain any other destiny than wife/mother. If she went out into the world, she would be more likely to meet new people and possibly Prince Charming anyway! 

welcome, @Jeronimo!  i'd forgotten that Brigid never posted about making her wedding dress.  she did post a link a while back to the dress on which she based it, a blue party-type dress that i liked a lot better than the wedding gown.  

2 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

Especially the post about the construction of her wedding dress which never eventuated!

In fairness to Brigie, I thought it did.  Here you go : http://boyersisters.com/2016/12/brigid-gabriels-wedding-apparel/

I don't know what will happen for Jessica and Charlotte.  I truly hope they can break out of their current unhealthy ruts and do something different.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived