IGNORED

Election Results 2016, Part 2

Destiny

I will look for the chart as well cause I think it's from the NY times but about 80% of Hillary Clinton in the media was dedicated to the whole Email thing, when I talked to people why canvassing/phonebanking, a few always mentioned how they never knew her stances on certain issues.

I honestly (and very clueless) didn't realize how media played SUCH a major role, from helping to normalized many things that Trump has said. I always noticed how with both sides of the political spectrum would share things that were just overly ridiculous on things that they believed Hillary said and would share them so easily without doing a quick search to realize how she never said it or what she believed. Vice Versa with a few things Trump would say.

Hillary Clinton had her flaws, and the more I think about it obviously didn't do a good enough job of reaching out to the working class as well as how the Democratic Party has finally shown its crack that they only care about the elites and that change needs to happen asap if they want any success come for the Midterm in 2018. But Media definitely played a BIG role in how certain candidates like HIllary was pictured

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JMarie said:

So the three oldest Trump kids, plus Ivanka's husband, are part of the transition team?  What about poor forgotten Tiffany?  Should we FreeTiffany*?

*since we couldn't save Jinger (her recent marriage cemented her fundie status for the rest of her life)

Trump said he was proud of Tiffany "to a lesser extent." His own child, FFS. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/donald-trump-proud-tiffany-lesser-extent-article-1.2864804

30 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

If you are thinking about that one particular psycho in Germany, remember that he actually won election. Americans voted Clinton, not Trump. 
Also, look at these protestors, look at people on this very site, look at social media posts promising help and love, and support. Look at real people with real loving hearts and souls; they are your armor and they are going nowhere. 

Yep, that was exactly who I was thinking of, unfortunately.  

Thank you, it does make me feel a little better, since it looks like she's going to win the popular vote by 1 million +.  I guess I'll also take some solace that 47% of those eligible didn't vote, so he got less than 25%.

It is also nice to see the outpouring of support for minorities, LGBTQ, Muslims, and other groups.  Hopefully the goodness in this country finds a way to overtake the darkness we've voted in.  I'd also like to think that in the age of social media, if anything horrific were to happen, it would be seen by many first hand immediately, and not exposed when and if the media decided to do so.

16 minutes ago, thedeathllama said:

Yep, that was exactly who I was thinking of, unfortunately.  

Thank you, it does make me feel a little better, since it looks like she's going to win the popular vote by 1 million +.  I guess I'll also take some solace that 47% of those eligible didn't vote, so he got less than 25%.

It is also nice to see the outpouring of support for minorities, LGBTQ, Muslims, and other groups.  Hopefully the goodness in this country finds a way to overtake the darkness we've voted in.  I'd also like to think that in the age of social media, if anything horrific were to happen, it would be seen by many first hand immediately, and not exposed when and if the media decided to do so.

I can't say that you have nothing to worry about - but add me to the list of people more than willing to defend you and your's if you need it. So is my husband. My sister. Our brothers and friends. And millions of people across the country. 

Trump and his supporters may be loud, but they aren't the majority. We are. And we're going to do our damnedest to protect those that need it. 

I can't stop crying.  Just yesterday in my town, an AA girl getting into her car in a wealthy neighborhood was told by a neighbor that at least they could get the "n-word" out of the neighborhood now that Trump was elected.  What are people so fucking afraid of?

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I can't say that you have nothing to worry about - but add me to the list of people more than willing to defend you and your's if you need it. So is my husband. My sister. Our brothers and friends. And millions of people across the country. 

Trump and his supporters may be loud, but they aren't the majority. We are. And we're going to do our damnedest to protect those that need it. 

Thank you.  My SO and I feel the same for our fellow Americans.  We're all in this together, and truly are stronger together.

I truly hope Trump's supporters are just acting out, and that the bigotry and misery they're already causing across the country will die down.  I'm terrified to leave my house and I'm in California, and people have already had incidents in California.  I can't imagine how some people feel in deep red states.

3 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

After? try during.  Let's just hope he doesn't try to kiss or grab anyone.....

I've been having this really weird, uncomfortable feeling about him groping Duchess Katherine (Kate Middleton) when we lose Queen Elizabeth or Prince Philip (I'm not wishing ill on either of them, but realize both are getting up there in years. It will be a sad day for the world, not just for Great Britain ) Who knows how many international incidents President Grabass will cause. (My other name for him is the Groper in Chief).

35 minutes ago, thedeathllama said:

Thank you.  My SO and I feel the same for our fellow Americans.  We're all in this together, and truly are stronger together.

I truly hope Trump's supporters are just acting out, and that the bigotry and misery they're already causing across the country will die down.  I'm terrified to leave my house and I'm in California, and people have already had incidents in California.  I can't imagine how some people feel in deep red states.

I'm sorry you are afraid.

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I've read a few pages. I'm just going to preface with I'm extremely moderate. Not left, def not right. But wow people just won't admit Hilary is a horrible choice for president. And there's more to life than social issues, which Trump doesn't care about. Most of the people that I know voted for Trump (in NYC btw, so it doesn't even matter) are tired of working and not earning money. Money was their biggest issue in this election. Oh and Hilary until like 2 years ago was against gay marriage.

What are people convinced that Trump will do to increase jobs and grow the economy?  I am talking economically viable and constitutionally feasible plans and policies, not pie-in-the-sky ideas that will never happen.

What plans did the billionaire businessman with 4 bankruptcies under his belt really have?

He seems more a contributor to the problems than having any real solutions.

Personally, people chose the fire over the frying pan; gave the janitor the scalpel.

Neither candidate was honest, direct or trustworthy.

The only thing they could run on was their industry relevant knowledge and experiences. 

Clinton 1

Trump 0

56 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I can't stop crying.  Just yesterday in my town, an AA girl getting into her car in a wealthy neighborhood was told by a neighbor that at least they could get the "n-word" out of the neighborhood now that Trump was elected.  What are people so fucking afraid of?

I have a professor who has an African-American son. She picked him up from school and he told her that he and a playmate were playing a game in which he was Donald Trumps daughter and he was her slave. She was so upset. 

51 minutes ago, thedeathllama said:

It is really scary how the racists feel like they can be open now. Someone needs to shove Trump into making a speech saying racial violence is never okay. That is something a president would do, but somehow I don't see him doing it. I'm still struggling to imagine him as a president. Can you imagine him giving state of the union addresses? 

Is he still going to get to keep his cell phone and twitter account so he can tweet out stuff at all hours of the day? I can just see him sitting in an important meeting tweeting insults about people in the room. 

Just now, formergothardite said:

It is really scary how the racists feel like they can be open now. Someone needs to shove Trump into making a speech saying racial violence is never okay. That is something a president would do, but somehow I don't see him doing it. I'm still struggling to imagine him as a president. Can you imagine him giving state of the union addresses? 

Is he still going to get to keep his cell phone and twitter account so he can tweet out stuff at all hours of the day? I can just see him sitting in an important meeting tweeting insults about people in the room. 

One of the first things I thought of when I saw the headline on CNN was President Obama, and the speeches he gave after Newtown and the Boston Marathon bombing. I just can't imagine a national tragedy, looking to the president for some sort of statement of hope and support, and it being...him. The guy who appeared on Wrestlemania. 

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Really though.  He empowered them enough for them to come out of the woodwork almost immediately!  The KKK announced a celebratory rally in North Carolina less than 24 hours after he won.

I agree, he's not even remotely presidential.  Every time he seems even mildly rational he puts his foot in his mouth.  He says that Hills was classy in her concession phone call and said he had a nice meeting with Obama...and then immediately tweets how "unfair" it is that people are protesting and calls them paid actors.  He can't help himself.

Meanwhile, as the country goes crazy with these awful incidents of people being called names, children chanting racial slurs, people being physically attacked and having their hijabs ripped off, I have future in laws saying "I voted for the Supreme Court justices."  And they're nice people and I know they like me and aren't remotely racist, but this still feels personal.  Screw everyone who's terrified and worried about being attacked, screw the fact that Trump will shortly be briefed on  the nuclear codes, as long as you  get your pro-life justices from a man who's been rumored to have paid for more than one abortion in his lifetime.

Thank goodness for Free Jinger and Pantsuit Nation. I makes me feel better knowing there are decent people out in the world.

Friend said that he believes Gary Sinise should be the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. I mean, I know Gary helps veterans with concerts, has been a spokesperson for various veteran's charities and narrated some war documenties, but just because he was Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump does not mean he is qualified to hold such a position. Of course, this same guy did vote for Trump, so unqualified seems to be the theme of the week for him. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

It is really scary how the racists feel like they can be open now. 

It is. They have a leader now sitting in the highest position in the land and they are letting their racism shine.

Since we moved into our new house and been here since July, a neighbor three houses down has never ever put out a Trump sign. Not one time. Today while I was walking my pup, he walked down to the end of his driveway and placed a Trump sign in his front yard by the road. He did not see me close to his driveway while putting the sign out and I let out the biggest, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" I shit you not, he turned and saw me and then took the sign out of the ground and walked back to his house with the sign in his hands. I think I shamed him, but now he knows I know he is a jerk. 

I'm only going to say this once and it gonna bouncy. Trying to organize my thoughts.  I really hate the generalizations that are being made. Not every person who voted for Trump is a racist and/or sexist SOB who hates minorities. By painting a broad stroke over half the country you are missing a key thing: that half felt they weren't being heard. So they decided to choose a different path. Honestly? I liked neither of them. Both are very deeply flawed. In the end, I believe Hillary's ambition did her in. If she hadn't set up the damn email server we probably would not be having this conversation. 

At some point, you have to say, ok, it is what it is, and make the best of it. For crying out loud, he hasn't had a chance to DO anything good or bad at this point. Am I happy he won? No. I didn't want Hillary either. all this protesting and rioting is ridiculous. I have a hard time reconciling blocking freeways and tearing up your city--vandalizing cars and Windows, and causing over a million dollars in damages because you don't like the result of an election. Living in said city, and stuck in that freeway... I thought grown ups were better than that.apparently not. 

that said, I get it. It was an unexpected result that nobody was prepared for on either side. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty either way. *waits for the backlash*

5 minutes ago, Criscat said:

Not every person who voted for Trump is a racist and/or sexist SOB who hates minorities.

But those must be their values or they wouldn't have voted for him.

Can't have it both ways.

18 minutes ago, Criscat said:

I'm only going to say this once and it gonna bouncy. Trying to organize my thoughts.  I really hate the generalizations that are being made. Not every person who voted for Trump is a racist and/or sexist SOB who hates minorities. By painting a broad stroke over half the country you are missing a key thing: that half felt they weren't being heard. So they decided to choose a different path. Honestly? I liked neither of them. Both are very deeply flawed. In the end, I believe Hillary's ambition did her in. If she hadn't set up the damn email server we probably would not be having this conversation. 

At some point, you have to say, ok, it is what it is, and make the best of it. For crying out loud, he hasn't had a chance to DO anything good or bad at this point. Am I happy he won? No. I didn't want Hillary either. all this protesting and rioting is ridiculous. I have a hard time reconciling blocking freeways and tearing up your city--vandalizing cars and Windows, and causing over a million dollars in damages because you don't like the result of an election. Living in said city, and stuck in that freeway... I thought grown ups were better than that.apparently not. 

that said, I get it. It was an unexpected result that nobody was prepared for on either side. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty either way. *waits for the backlash*

No, this is not about half the population choosing a different path. This is about half the population voting for a bigot. This is about the hate crimes and the bullying of minorities that have been unleashed on innocent people since that bigot was elected. So I don't really care if the people who vote for Trump think they had reason to vote for him other than bigotry. When you support and enable and vote for a bigot, then you're saying you're okay with bigotry. That is what people are upset about. 

And he absolutely has had a chance to do something already. He has the opportunity to speak up and tell the American people to stop bullying those who are different from them, and to tell the minorities "I have no plans to harm you." But he has not done that. His silence most definitely counts as having done something and it certainly wasn't something good. 

And while I don't support violent protests, many of the protests were non-violent. And I absolutely support that. That is protected by the United States constitution, and if huge portions of our population being bullied because of the words of a careless, hateful man aren't a good enough reason to protest, then what is? Should we all just stay silent while good, decent Americans are terrorized simply for looking different, or worshipping in a different way, or loving in a different than the bullies who are harming them? 

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."  I am so proud of the Americans who are refusing to do nothing while evil is being unleashed upon minorities. And I am so disgusted by people who are engaging in the evil, as well as the ones who are defending the evil, and enabling it and justifying it and minimizing it. 

8 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

But those must be their values or they wouldn't have voted for him.

Can't have it both ways.

You give too much credit. The people around me that I know voted for Trump were voting against Hillary, plain and simple. In fact, our retired electrician came two weekends ago to help my husband install a new ceiling fan, and he himself talked up how helpful and hard working the local Hispanic immigrants (many of them here illegally) are, and in the same breath he said, "But one thing I cannot tolerate under any circumstance is a liar when it comes to this country's security." So perhaps not all Trump voters are actual supporters, they just hated Hillary that much more? Im trying to wrap my own head around all of this, so my apologies if I make no sense.

1 minute ago, FlamingFundie said:

You give too much credit. The people around me that I know voted for Trump were voting against Hillary, plain and simple. In fact, our retired electrician came two weekends ago to help my husband install a new ceiling fan, and he himself talked up how helpful and hard working the local Hispanic immigrants (many of them here illegally) are, and in the same breath he said, "But one thing I cannot tolerate under any circumstance is a liar when it comes to this country's security." So perhaps not all Trump voters are actual supporters, they just hated Hillary that much more? Im trying to wrap my own head around all of this, so my apologies if I make no sense.

Color me unimpressed that this electrician said something nice about Hispanics while voting against them. 

And it doesn't really matter if they were Trump supporters, if they voted for him then they helped enable bigotry. They helped unleash a tidal wave of hatred against innocent people. 

I know lots of Trump voters. They all claim to have voted for reasons other than bigotry. And yet I have not seen or heard one of them come out and condemn the hatred that it being unleashed upon minorities right now. Instead, I am hearing them make excuses for why they voted for this man. I'm hearing them defend him and insist he's not racist. I'm seeing then tell people who are upset to "get over it" and "move on." I am seeing them mock Clinton supporters for being upset. No shock or horror or disgust from any one of them that people are being bullied because of their vote for that horrible bigot. 

I just keep waiting for Trump or the Republicans or the people who voted for them to speak up against this hatred that is happening. And yet: nothing. They are standing idly by and doing nothing to protect the people their vote harmed. That tells me everything I need to know about who they are and what they stand for and why they voted the way they do. I would love to be wrong about this. I would love to see anything loving or courageous or fair coming from Trump supporters right now, but all I'm see are excuses and justifications and gloating and name-calling and nasty, hateful memes aimed at people who are devastated to see such hatred in the country they love. 

You make some valid points, RoseWilder. Thank you for your insight while I continue to try to process all of this.

19 minutes ago, FlamingFundie said:

You make some valid points, RoseWilder. Thank you for your insight while I continue to try to process all of this.

Thank you keeping an open mind to the thoughts I'm trying to get across. 

I'd like to add one more thing. A lot of us are also devastated right now because people we care about, people who we thought cared about us, have voted to take away our rights. That's crushing. I'm devastated to know that 75% of my family doesn't think I have a right to my own body. I'm also devastated to see the mean way they have expressed their views over the last few months. They keep insisting they don't like Trump, and they're not voting FOR him, they're just voting for the Supreme Court. And yet, they communicate their views in a way that is hostile and insulting towards everyone who disagrees with them. And they are actively working to justify the horrible things that Trump has said. They keep insisting that they don't like him, but then they defend him. It devastates me to see the brother that used to care about people become a hateful person who does not think I have value. It hurts to see my second-cousin, who used to be this sweet little boy that I babysat for defend Trump and say, "he's not racist or sexist." 

It's heartbreaking. I'm not upset because my candidate didn't win. I'm upset because I feel like hatred won. 

This blog entry sums it up better than I can: 

http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/11/09/heres-why-we-grieve-today/

I don’t think you understand us right now.

I think you think this is about politics. 

I think you believe this is all just sour grapes; the crocodile tears of the losing locker room with the scoreboard going against us at the buzzer.

I can only tell you that you’re wrong. This is not about losing an election.This isn’t about not winning a contest. This is about two very different ways of seeing the world.

Hillary spoke about a diverse America; one where religion or skin color or sexual orientation or place of birth aren’t liabilities or deficiencies or moral defects. Her campaign was one of inclusion and connection and interdependency. It was about building bridges and breaking ceilings. It was about going high

Trump imagined a very selective America; one that is largely white and straight and Christian, and the voting verified this. Donald Trump has never made any assertions otherwise. He ran a campaign of fear and exclusion and isolation—and that’s the vision of the world those who voted for him have endorsed.

They have aligned with the wall-builder and the professed p*ssy-grabber, and they have co-signed his body of work, regardless of the reasons they give for their vote:

Every horrible thing Donald Trump ever said about women or Muslims or people of color has now been validated.
Every profanity-laced press conference and every call to bully protestors and every ignorant diatribe has been endorsed.
Every piece of anti-LGBTQ legislation Mike Pence has championed has been signed-off on.

Half of our country has declared these things acceptable, noble,American. 

This is the disconnect and the source of our grief today. It isn’t a political defeat that we’re lamenting, it’s a defeat for Humanity.

We’re not angry that our candidate lost. We’re angry because our candidate’s losing means this country will be less safe, less kind, and less available to a huge segment of its population, and that’s just the truth.

Those who have always felt vulnerable are now left more so. Those whose voices have been silenced will be further quieted. Those who always felt marginalized will be pushed further to the periphery. Those who feared they were seen as inferior now have confirmation in actual percentages.

Those things have essentially been campaign promises of Donald Trump, and so many of our fellow citizens have said this is what they want too.  

This has never been about politics.
This is not about one candidate over the other.
It’s not about one’s ideas over another’s.
It is not blue vs. red.
It’s not her emails vs. his bad language.
It’s not her dishonesty vs. his indecency.

It’s about overt racism and hostility toward minorities.
It’s about religion being weaponized.
It’s about crassness and vulgarity and disregard for women.
It’s about a barricaded, militarized, bully nation.
It’s about an unapologetic, open-faced ugliness.

And it is not only that these things have been ratified by our nation that grieve us; all this hatred, fear, racism, bigotry, and intolerance—it’s knowing that these things have been amen-ed by our neighbors, our families, our friends, those we work with and worship alongside. That is the most horrific thing of all. We now know how close this is.

It feels like living in enemy territory being here now, and there’s no way around that. We wake up today in a home we no longer recognize. We are grieving the loss of a place we used to love but no longer do. This may be America today but it is not the America we believe in or recognize or want.

This is not about a difference of political opinion, as that’s far too small to mourn over. It’s about a fundamental difference in how we view the worth of all people—not just those who look or talk or think or vote the way we do.

Grief always laments what might have been, the future we were robbed of, the tomorrow that we won’t get to see, and that is what we walk through today. As a nation we had an opportunity to affirm the beauty of our diversity this day, to choose ideas over sound bytes, to let everyone know they had a place at the table, to be the beacon of goodness and decency we imagine that we are—and we said no.

The Scriptures say that weeping endures for a night but joy comes in the morning. We can’t see that dawn coming any time soon.

And this is why we grieve.

Trump's tweets in 2012:

Spoiler

IMG_6312.PNG

40 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

Color me unimpressed that this electrician said something nice about Hispanics while voting against them. 

And it doesn't really matter if they were Trump supporters, if they voted for him then they helped enable bigotry. They helped unleash a tidal wave of hatred against innocent people. 

I know lots of Trump voters. They all claim to have voted for reasons other than bigotry. And yet I have not seen or heard one of them come out and condemn the hatred that it being unleashed upon minorities right now. Instead, I am hearing them make excuses for why they voted for this man. I'm hearing them defend him and insist he's not racist. I'm seeing then tell people who are upset to "get over it" and "move on." I am seeing them mock Clinton supporters for being upset. No shock or horror or disgust from any one of them that people are being bullied because of their vote for that horrible bigot. 

I just keep waiting for Trump or the Republicans or the people who voted for them to speak up against this hatred that is happening. And yet: nothing. They are standing idly by and doing nothing to protect the people their vote harmed. That tells me everything I need to know about who they are and what they stand for and why they voted the way they do. I would love to be wrong about this. I would love to see anything loving or courageous or fair coming from Trump supporters right now, but all I'm see are excuses and justifications and gloating and name-calling and nasty, hateful memes aimed at people who are devastated to see such hatred in the country they love. 

Thank you for saying this better than I could've.  Trump supporters need to take the good with the bad.  It's easy to say you voted for him because "oh he'll bring back jobs!  He'll drain the swamp," but that also means you voted for the man who partakes in and downplays sexual assault, calls Mexicans rapists,  wants to separate millions of people from their families while having a wife who may or may not have come here legally, wants to ban immigrants on the basis of their religion, all while having dubious ties to Russia that were denied up until he won the election.  

Meanwhile, the things that he's promised his most fervent supporters will likely never come to fruition or will directly harm his supporters.  His wall will most likely cost $8-10 billion and would take upwards of 10 years to be built.  $8billion coming from...wher exactly since we're cutting taxes?  If we cut aid to Mexico to pay for it, it would still take 50 years to pay off.  Not to mention all the private land that said wall would run through.

Bringing coal jobs back?  He and McConnell are already backpedaling on that, with McConnell stating “Whether that immediately brings business back is hard to tell because it’s a private sector activity.” Meanwhile, the president of the Kentucky Coal Association: “I would not expect to see a lot of growth because of the Trump presidency,” Nick Carter said in an interview. “If there is any growth in Eastern Kentucky, it will be because of an improved economy for coal.”

Getting rid of the elites and Wall Street?  Trump is currently eyeing JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon and former Goldman Sachs exec Steven Mnunchin for Treasury secretary.

His repeal of ACA would cause millions of his supporters to go uninsured, and would allow them to once again deny them insurance due to pre-existing conditions.  Meanwhile, Paul Ryan is chomping at the bit to privatize Medicare, which would harm an even larger number of his supporters now and in the future.

So while 59 million people voted for a known charlatan who will most likely be unable or uninterested in fulfilling most of his campaign promises, in the meantime:

A woman at SDSU has her hijab ripped off in a parking garage.

Black students at Penn got added to a GroupMe group called "N word lynching"

Swastikas were drawn in the bathroom in a suburban Maryland MIDDLE SCHOOL.

"Colored" and "whites" signs were put over water fountains in a Florida high school.

Students in Dewitt, MI formed a wall to prevent Latino students from entering the building.

A USPS worker on the clock told a Latino man "Go back to your country.  This is Trump land.  You ain't getting your check no more."

Students at SIUC posted pictures of themselves in black face in front of a confederate flag on election night.

I'm sure the people experiencing these things would love to just say "it is what it is" and continue living their lives for the next 4 years.  But Trump has emboldened racists and bigots and given them a voice, not only with his candidacy, but by actually being voted in by 59 million people.  It's easy and quaint to just say "I just want jobs back!," but Trump's appeal has been that he "says what he thinks," and both his words on the campaign trail and his silence on these hateful actions speak volumes.  A vote for that wall or those rust belt jobs is also a vote for a man who's been endorsed by David Duke and the KKK and thinks all Muslims are terrorists.  And he did it alongside a man who believes in gay electroshock conversion therapy, and wants to force women who've had miscarriages or abortions to hold funerals for the fetus.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived