IGNORED

The Bateses deleted my comment, what's up with that?

SimplyMe

I commented on our favorite too-big family in TN (yes, I'm trying not to name them, keep us of their radar.). I asked why their boys are doing water sports in jeans and pants and if Gothard disallows wearing shorts. I said to my knowledge the verse in Isiah about nakedness has to do with the thigh being exposed, not the calf and that they'd be so much more comfortable and safer (ever tried to swim in jeans?? They are heavy!) in swim trunks.

Several other people asked the same thing and she answered them, but totally deleted mine. I worked hard to sound sincere and kind. I think it's because I mentioned Gothard, implying they follow him more than the bible. I wasn't going to, but I just felt compelled to sneak that in there. I'm irritated that they deleted my post. I'm considering commenting asking why they did, but then they'll probably start moderating their comments before posting them and I don't want to be the one who gets them to do that. It's more fun to post comments and actually have them show up, at least temporarily.

Well Dougie deleted my comment on his Facebook post about the Soldiering Through History DVD. I just said, as a former Navy Nurse I hope he included military nurses in his history.

As for the swimming in jeans, yeah, it is dangerous. You can't kick as well, they create drag, and they are very uncomfortable. In lifesaving you practice getting jeans off in the water so you can make a float to help keep you afloat.

Nell

Well Dougie deleted my comment on his Facebook post about the Soldiering Through History DVD. I just said, as a former Navy Nurse I hope he included military nurses in his history.

As for the swimming in jeans, yeah, it is dangerous. You can't kick as well, they create drag, and they are very uncomfortable. In lifesaving you practice getting jeans off in the water so you can make a float to help keep you afloat.

Nell

We did this in my gym class in high school. We jumped into the deep end of the pool in pants and a shirt and learned how to take them off and use then as floatation devices. I could not believe how much the wet cloths weighed me down and how hard it was to tread water fully clothed, and I'm a strong swimmer. Simplyme is right, depending on the activity that could be dangerous.

I commented on our favorite too-big family in TN (yes, I'm trying not to name them, keep us of their radar.). I asked why their boys are doing water sports in jeans and pants and if Gothard disallows wearing shorts. I said to my knowledge the verse in Isiah about nakedness has to do with the thigh being exposed, not the calf and that they'd be so much more comfortable and safer (ever tried to swim in jeans?? They are heavy!) in swim trunks.

Several other people asked the same thing and she answered them, but totally deleted mine. I worked hard to sound sincere and kind. I think it's because I mentioned Gothard, implying they follow him more than the bible. I wasn't going to, but I just felt compelled to sneak that in there. I'm irritated that they deleted my post. I'm considering commenting asking why they did, but then they'll probably start moderating their comments before posting them and I don't want to be the one who gets them to do that. It's more fun to post comments and actually have them show up, at least temporarily.

Interesting because that family in TN DOES moderate the posts that get through. Maybe she thought it was okay but the headship overruled her? I have a feeling that a lot of those "Love ...." responses are written by HIM. These people are even scarier than the family in Arkansas, because most people think that they're "mostly harmless," all the while the headship is a faux "preacher" of Gothard's gospel who has to borrow money from his kid to feed his own family.

Shameless bastard, if you ask me. I guess the sister who had to get a loan to pay for tuition gives all her music teaching money to her parents to pay the water bill and the one who sews the clown dresses throws into the till with extra sewing jobs (can they sell on etsy or is that too heathen?) when she's not sewing up a new set for the 6 youngest girls who have to wear those abominations.

I was astounded at those photographs. Did you notice that the J boys from Arkansas were wearing...shorts! They came nearly to the knee, but still, they were shorts. For people who ran that race in jeans, these shorts are a huge step. And, as mentioned by others, much safer than jeans. I am greatly encouraged by this. :D

I haven't tried to swim in jeans, but mine got soaked in a downpour today and it was highly unpleasant. There's a reason bathing suits are the way they are. But most people can handle seeing other people's skin without freaking the fuck out. But since fundies can't figure that out, they probably can't figure out why swimming in jeans is an awful idea.

Nell

Are you friends with Dougie on facebook?! How did you manage that? I can't see anything on his facebook profile except for the picture of him and his daughter Virginia.

Are you friends with Dougie on facebook?! How did you manage that? I can't see anything on his facebook profile except for the picture of him and his daughter Virginia.

No, it's his Vision Forum Facebook page.

Nell

Nell

How is that even delete worthy?

I used to do lifesaving, and we were made to tread water for a couple of hours in jeans (and other clothes) regularly. I was extremely fit and an excellent swimmer back then and it was not easy. I can't imagine how miserable it would have been to be forced to wear jeans every time I was in the pool. How can they have fun? It's a horrible feeling.

Do they have clean clothes when they get out of the poor or do they have to wear the wet jeans home? That would be miserable.

Why are the girls not in those pictures. I would love such activity. When I was a kid, I loved going canoeing. You can't tell me that every single Bates girl didn't want to jump in the water.

How is that even delete worthy?

Because he obviously didn't include military nurses in his history and anything that questions Dougie's ability to be anything but perfect must go? Maybe?

Do they have clean clothes when they get out of the poor or do they have to wear the wet jeans home? That would be miserable.

Why are the girls not in those pictures. I would love such activity. When I was a kid, I loved going canoeing. You can't tell me that every single Bates girl didn't want to jump in the water.

It was a father/son manly romp weekend.

Note to the fundies--I know that actually understanding the Bible is anathema to you, but in Hebrew "thigh" is a euphemism for "testicles". "Feet" is a euphemism for "private area" and "to cover the feet" means to either urinate or defecate. (Yes, in the book of Ruth" she's not lying submissively at Boaz's feet, she's seducing him!)

I don't know of any bathing suits that don't cover the testicles, although maybe those crazy Europeans might have them.

It was a father/son manly romp weekend.

I saw that after I posted. :oops: Because they have such a strict view of what girls and boys are supposed to like, I can't imagine the Bates having a father/daughter day where the girls get to play in the water. Girls don't like rough sports. :roll:

I wish that the boys had on life jackets in the photos of them on the rubber rafts. It looks like a couple do but not all. Maybe I'm being overly cautious though.

Remember the blog where the whole family jumped in the pool fully dressed, including jean skirts and socks? Now that was crazy and unsafe!

I scrolled down and saw that they had gone to something that Patch the Pirate was speaking at. I used to love his tapes when I was a kid.

Because he obviously didn't include military nurses in his history and anything that questions Dougie's ability to be anything but perfect must go? Maybe?

That's what I think

There were women during the Civil War who disguised themselves as men so they could serve, or be with their husbands. I remember reading about one woman who actually fought and was well thought of, then one day she popped out a baby. :oops: I seriosly doubt Dougie includes those true events in his military histories, just like leaving out all the military nurses who served with honor and saved lives.

Nell

Archived