IGNORED

The Democratic National Convention

RoseWilder

I agree with Gary Johnson political ideology more than I agree with Clinton, but I will most likely vote for her because Trump winning scares me. I keep thinking four more years of Obama would not be so bad. My life is not terrible. My biggest complaints, such as high medical bills we accrued this year, are much more likely to be solved by her than by Trump.

I don't understand the frustration with Obama for the lack of change. Republicans in Congress have done everything they can to fight him over everything. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Ali said:

I don't understand the frustration with Obama for the lack of change. Republicans in Congress have done everything they can to fight him over everything. 

Exactly. And the best way to deal with the frustration over lack of change is to make sure to always show up in the midterms and vote those Republicans out. Obama would have been able to accomplish a lot more if the Democrats had shown up in full force in 2010 and 2014. So I really think that Obama didn't fail to bring about enough change, the Democrats failed him. 

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but damn it's frustrating to watch so many people not show up in midterm elections and then complain later that Obama didn't accomplish enough. 

9 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but damn it's frustrating to watch so many people not show up in midterm elections and then complain later that Obama didn't accomplish enough. 

Yes, if there's anything I hope we all can take away from the mess of the last four years, it's that midterm elections are really damn important and everyone needs to show up and vote.

We've even had people on this forum confess that they didn't know there were such a thing as non-Presidential elections. :my_cry:

41 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Yes, if there's anything I hope we all can take away from the mess of the last four years, it's that midterm elections are really damn important and everyone needs to show up and vote.

We've even had people on this forum confess that they didn't know there were such a thing as non-Presidential elections. :my_cry:

I sincerely hope you're kidding but I fear you're not.

2 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I feel the same. My state is about to have it's state primary and there are political signs everywhere. How could someone not notice the signs and realize there is an election about to happen?

14 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I won't name names but in a different thread a few months ago we had a poster who is in her twenties admit she had never heard of midterm elections and wanted to know who they were electing to what positions. 

Granted, she has said she was raised fundie and in a religion that eschews political involvement. 

20 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Voted for war. 

The policies of the Clintons in the first Clinton presidency were not good for minorities. 

And beyond all that, I'm just sick of being told what to do. 

Polices that weren't good for minorities, off the top of my head? The three strike crime bill, his "welfare reform" bill, NAFTA, Defense of Marriage Act, (And she said she is "rooted in conservatism, and that marriage is between a man and a woman. I'm not 100% holding that against her, as I too thought that abortion and gay marriage was bad in the 90s. Of course I was a teenager enrolled in a Catholic School, and she was the First Lady),Expanded the US drug wars, War on Drugs in the US, oh, and the Clinton Administration knew about Rwanda and while there is no proof that she did and that has nothing do to with her, it kind of does as she was first lady. She's way too tied up with Wall Street. 

But overall, I really want someone new. We had Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and now Clinton? This is an Oligarchy or corporatarchy. They all know each other, they all socialize (with people like Trump, too!) . I'm pissed off. I'm pissed that the DNC can cheat and lie and act like teenagers and still tell us we "have" to vote in a specific way because the world will end otherwise. But really, it's THEIR FAULT that people are pissed. People are pissed because of the blatant favoritism. And it's like, when someone wants to be class president and no one really likes her because no one knows her that well, but the other option is the class bully, and they are both kind of terrible and it just sucks. Let me be pissed. I don't matter. I'm one person in 218 million. 

And besides, it doesn't matter how we vote, it matters who counts the votes. 

Trump's running mate also voted for the same war.  And Trump has said he'd start one with ISIS, so it's not like voting for him would avoid war.  Also, when it comes to race and minorities, maybe you should judge her by her own record and not of her husbands, unless you think women are the exact same as their partners.  She worked to sign up latinxs in Texas as a summer job, worked as a lawyer to catch private schools discriminating against black students, and also worked to get a bill passed that forced all education boards to provide education to children with disabilities.  I also think it's unfair to say that because her husband had a job, she should not be allowed to.  I plan to go into academia.  Should I be refused a job because my hypothetical husband has a similar job and it's unfair to take up a place?  

Not only that. The man who will win if Hillary loses called for the execution of five children without DNA evidence or witness statements, based on coerced confessions.  When the real culprit was caught the boys who were now men had already served their prison terms and were awarded a judgement for wrongful prosecution Trump said it was a disgrace.  Now he's promising  law and order presidency.  What do you think that will mean?

I just finished watching tonight's coverage of the DNC. I starting crying during the video when the glass shattered. I kept thinking about Elizabeth Cady Staton and Susan B. Anthony and all the other people who fought so hard just for women to even have the right to vote, and now we officially have a female nominee. I feel so proud of the Democratic party right now!

Sorry, I'm getting all gushy and sentimental. I just can't help myself. 

15 hours ago, louisa05 said:

You know what I find insulting as hell? The notion that some Sanders supporters have that no one would have voted for Hillary based on her own merits and their own informed opinion. 

Why is it impossible to believe that voters went to the polls and made the decision they thought was best for the party and the country? Why do Hillary voters have to be treated as if they are just gullible lemmings?

You don't want people telling you how to vote? Well, you know what? No one has ever told me how to vote. I was a registered Democrat, before most of the Bernie supporters who have yelled at me in person were born, while working at a job where that could have got me fired. Literally. I make my own political choices.  I didn't caucus for Hillary or agree to be a state delegate for her because the DNC or Debbie Wasserman Schultz or anyone else told me I had to. The notion that every single voter for Hillary would have voted for Bernie if only a few staffers at the DNC had fallen in line is ridiculous. The reality is that a lot of people don't think Bernie is a messiah or that his revolution is even possible. A lot of people were turned off by his complete lack of foreign policy experience (and his seeming lack of concern about that). 

And don't give me the crap about questions asked in debates and that shit. Know what? I never watched a single primary debate.  I read about the candidates. I read about their records. I have been aware of both of them for years. I have taught American government and communications. I understand how politics and propaganda work. (A lot of voters are intelligent enough to grasp that, btw). And I chose Hillary because I can make my own choice as much as any Bernie supporter ever made theirs. So stop acting like we are all morons. 

[post not snipped, important to keep the context of perspective/my bold above]

@louisa05 comments in bold:

• *voted for Hillary based on her own merits and their own informed opinion. *Why do Hillary voters have to be treated as if they are just gullible lemmings? *I read about the candidates. I read about their records. I have been aware of both of them for years.  I'm not sure they realize the extensive research involved when many of us choose a candidate. I'm very familiar with Sec. Clinton and Sen. Sanders political positions, however, it's my responsibility as a voter to re-examine those positions, as they currently apply to the future of the Country.   
  • *The notion that every single voter for Hillary would have voted for Bernie if only a few staffers at the DNC had fallen in line is ridiculous. The reality is that a lot of people don't think Bernie is a messiah or that his revolution is even possible.  I realize there are many supporters of Sen. Sanders that are well versed on his positions, and feel his platform was practically attainable.  My concern was the feasibility factor. Nothing is free (education, health, employee benefit programs etc.), someone must pick up the tab. Traditionally the burden falls on middle income earners, and small business. Other sectors of society would have suffered as well. Those requiring financial and service related assistance, veterans, persons with disabilities, and seniors that have worked their entire lives for secure independent retirement, would be severely impacted. 

Why do some supporters of Sen. Sanders, feel it's appropriate for the burden of his programs fall on the above mentioned groups? Are they aware that free is never free? Do they really think the wealthy would fully subsidize such reform? Exactly where is the income cut-off for wealth?   

Do we, as a Nation, need to address these serious issues? Absolutely! I will expect Sec. Clinton, if elected President, to initiate responsible solutions to these many domestic issues. In time, assuming the US Congress will cooperate, she may be able to successfully instrument the process for responsible reform

@louisa05, thank you for this post, it summed up the situation perfectly. Have you considered a job as White House Communication Director? You would have my support, lol.

@louisa05, I made a absolute mess explaining my position on the above post.  I need to stop posting when I'm tired and sleepy lol. I hope I didn't give the impression I disagreed, far from it, you nailed it!  Take care, and thanks again for sharing your insights. 

12 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

Bill is nailing his speech so far.

I agree. I thought he did a great job of showing the personal side of Hillary Clinton, as well as highlighting a lot of the things she's accomplished in her life. I knew about those things because I recently re-read her autobiography, but I think there were probably some people who haven't read the book who are unaware of how many things Hillary has done in her life to help women, children, people with disabilities, minorities. She has a very impressive list of accomplishments, and Bill did a great job of highlighting them. 

Watching Cecile Richards speak last night, made me wish her Mother was still with us. That "silver foot" comment she used on President Bush the elder, could easily apply to Donald Trump.

On 26/07/2016 at 8:35 AM, nausicaa said:

You realize these comments sound like the statements of a spoiled ten year old, right? :pb_confused:

Blame it on the DNC drinking and being pissed off at the system. And, yeah, I guess I do sound like a child. I'm not great at expressing myself, especially when I'm upset,. and so many others have been able to explain the feelings regarding this situation better than I.  

I'm going to try anyway

The Hillary supporters I am listening to online (I do not know a single one in real life. I've never seen a Hillary sticker on a car. I've never seen a sign in a yard. I've never heard a person IRL say anything good about her.) are being very condescending, belittling, and dismissive. There is a lot of "you lot are so so so stupid because x, y, z." This is not the way to change my mind, or many other people's minds. Dismissing us as "you lost, get over it, who cares about the emails, don't even think about third parties, we know better than you, we won, after all." Or the insinuations that we didn't fight hard enough/try hard enough. We tried damn hard to fight a rigged system. 

My city doubled our turn-out for the democratic caucus from 2008, and we went 82% for Sanders. We worked hard to get so many people out and involved, and the DNC will have to work hard to recapture that energy. The DNC probably won't even try, considering us a lost cause. We registered 5,950 new Democrats before the caucus in April, that's an 8.4% increase in one month. We have half as many Democrats as Republicans but we gained substantially more new Democrats than new Republicans. (They gained 3.3%) For some reason we have both undeclared and undecided voters as well. They lost 2.3% of their voters to the two main parties.

Some of the emails in the leak mentioned our events and had a dismissive and insulting tone, calling Sanders supporters Insurgents. It's going to be difficult, at best, for us to get energized for HRC. 

The people online  aren't saying why Hillary is a good candidate, it's just "hashtag no trump" or other cutsy, belittling sayings. They called us paranoid and crazy. They said the allegations of the system being rigged in favor of HRC was a conspiracy theory with no basis. The emails were leaked, they basically admit it, and DWS steps down and is offered a job working directly with HRC.  This should piss people off, but we are still being called "crazy," "paranoid" and told to get in line, shut up, and do what we are told.

You know most of us will eventually get in line and vote how they want us to vote. It's so far from November right now and I think people have a right to their feelings of betrayal. People were energized and feeling like they were voting FOR something instead of just AGAINST something, which is  of what's it's been like. I remember feeling like that in 2008, but then the crushing disappointment of the Obama administration sucked that away. 

(cuting the next 1800 words for brevity) 

@Maggie Mae: It wasn't rigged. The DNC favored Clinton as a candidate. That's not the same as rigging the primaries. There was no rigging. 

Also, for every Clinton supporter I've seen belittling a Sanders supporter, there has been a Sanders supporter belittling Clinton supporters. We've been called brainwashed, lemmings, told we're not true progressives, etc. The bad behavior goes both ways, and is certainly not limited to some of the Clinton supporters. 

And I have actually seen people on this board saying why they're in favor of Clinton, so I'm confused about your claim that all you see if people saying why Trump shouldn't win. I, myself, have spoken on this board of how Hillary has fought for women, children and minorities her whole life. We have also discussed how Clinton added some of Sanders' ideas to her platform. We've discussed how Sanders and Clinton voted the same 93% of the time in the Senate. Many reasons have been given why Clinton is a good choice. 

Also, great deal of the why-you-shouldn't-vote-for-Trump responses were said in response to Sanders supporters saying they're going to vote for Trump. I think it's a very valid argument to say "wait a minute, if you wanted Sanders as your candidate, why would you then flip and vote for Trump when he's going to give you nothing that you wanted from Sanders?" 

I do agree that this entire election cycle has been too focused on Trump. So while I think we have already stated on here why we're for Clinton, point taken that we should focus EVEN more on Clinton than Trump. In that spirit, I'm going to go start a new thread on why people think others should vote for Clinton. 

I don't think any of us are missing the point. I just believe booing a long term representative when they are speaking about the issues of police brutality within their district is ineffective and, frankly, rude. It shows their lack of concern or respect on issues that are important and greatly affect many people. It comes across as only giving a crap about their issues and disregarding others. I also find it disrespectful to boo the actual candidate they backed because he sees the bigger picture. They can be mad all they want, but it still does not change the outcome that Hillary received 3 million more votes than Sanders. 

President Obama can only do so much if the legislative branch keeps digging their heels in and won't work with him in a lot of areas. Sanders would face the exact same situation if that branch of government has no change. This is why all elections are important and people need to show up and cast their votes. The demographic I saw yesterday mostly acting out tend to not vote consistently. They don't show up for mid-terms or local elections. In order for us to have progress we all need to show up and cast a vote every time.

I do want to remind people that it may feel like progress has not happened in the last four years under President Obama, we have seen progress. Marriage equality being a huge move forward.

Change cannot happen overnight no matter who we cast our vote for. The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. We have to keep biting. 

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm well aware change doesn't happen overnight. I'm well aware that President Obama did all that he could with his present situation.

I am a progressive, so obviously I like seeing progress. For instance, I think the ACA is great. It's done a lot of good for me, because I have a severe mental illness and while my co-pays did go up a bit, I was able to keep my insurance and was able to seek treatment without going broke. I would love to see the ACA turn into universal health care. Will that happen anytime soon? Probably not, but you hopefully get what I mean.

You make good points about the heckling.

For those (like me) that use Roku - they have a channel for the DNC that gives you a live stream as well.  (without talking heads)

I was a delegate at my state convention. Sanders won the state. 

I was told by a Sanders supporter to "sit down and shut up" at the convention while standing to be counted for a procedural vote that they did not like. 

Prior to the convention at a meeting of my county's convention delegates, a 23 year old boy asked me why I was "only voting with my vagina" rather than using my brain. 

Sanders delegates at my state's convention stormed en masse into the Latino Caucus meeting and disrupted the election of officers in order to get someone of their own choosing elected chair. This resulted in a non-Latino, a white guy, being elected chair of the Latino caucus because they wanted no Clinton delegates elected to chair positions. 

The same Sanders delegates, on learning that the rules of the Women's Caucus prevented them from doing the same thing there, are attempting to start a separate competing women's caucus with membership available only to people who can prove they supported Sanders this year. 

On top of that, they spent the entire convention being loud and disruptive, refusing to shut up, refusing to sit down, and disrespecting anyone who they deemed not on their side. 

Don't give me this shit about being treated oh so badly by Clinton supporters, especially by those who just don't want to live the next four years with Donald Fucking Trump as president. 

I have to agree with @louisa05. I was not treated very well by other Bernie supporters once I backed away from my support. I had my well thought out reasons and stated such, but that sure did not stop several of them acting like complete jerks and using sexist language towards me. The only abuse I ever received was from the Sanders supporters. I am not saying there are not some Clinton jerk faces out there, but in my experience I did not ever get any when I supported Sanders.

I honestly just don't understand why anyone that supported Sanders would ever say the words, "I am going to vote for Trump." Trump goes directly against what Sanders stands for. Sanders has always said we need to keep Trump out of the White House. It makes no sense to go against the very person you support because things did not work out. I also don't understand why so many of them are pissed about Hillary's VP choice because he is a white male. Last time I checked, Bernie was also a white male. 

Now onto my rant. We are three freaking days into this convention, Clinton has the nomination, and the Sanders supporters are still being disruptive. Seriously. If they want to be taken seriously, then they better start acting like they don't have rabies. Chanting for Hillary to go to prison? Sounds a lot like the GOP idiots from last week. 

Sanders has asked them to stop being disruptive repeatedly, yet they still ignore him. I think this really has nothing to do with Sanders not being the nominee or the DNC. I think they are just being jerks to be jerks at this point. It is hard to take people seriously when they are acting like toddlers when they don't get their way. 

4 minutes ago, OddlyAmused said:

Bloomberg is RIPPING into Trump right now. I'm enjoying it.

And he has many more billions than Trump.  His speech was great as well as Biden's.

Obama is speaking now. His speech if very good. I will miss him when his term if over.

Archived