IGNORED

The Democratic National Convention

RoseWilder

I thought I would start a thread to discuss the Democratic National Convention that starts tonight. 

The speakers scheduled to appear tonight: 

Elizabeth Waren 

Corey Booker

Michelle Obama 

Bernie Sanders

I'm excited! Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch tonight's proceedings until tomorrow morning, so if anyone is watching and wants to post some highlights, I would really appreciate it!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

For those who want to watch online, here's an option:

https://www.demconvention.com/watch-live/

The schedule says they will start broadcasting at 4pm EDT (8pm UTC).

Are you sure? I heard on my local NPR station that they would start at 5 pm our time. That's 9 EDT. 

Some stations decide not to cover everything, and just focus on the primetime events. Those who choose to broadcast the entire event will be starting their coverage at 4pm EDT. 

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

For those who want to watch online, here's an option:

https://www.demconvention.com/watch-live/

The schedule says they will start broadcasting at 4pm EDT (8pm UTC).

Thanks for the link! 

I'm going to be somewhere tonight well I'll have access to the Internet, but not cable, so I was bummed that I was going to miss it. Now I can try to catch some of it!

10 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Some stations decide not to cover everything, and just focus on the primetime events. Those who choose to broadcast the entire event will be starting their coverage at 4pm EDT. 

Thanks for the explanation! 

I thought Al Franken did a good job. Short, numerous, and far more focused on Hillary's positives than bashing Trump, though he got in a few nice jabs. I hope that's the tone going forward.

Wow, I have almost cried twice during this convention. The first time when they played the video about the girl who was worried that her parents would get deported, and just now when the disabled woman (can't remember her name) said, "Donald Trump doesn't see me. He doesn't hear me." 

Now Sarah Silverman is speaking about how she was a Bernie Sanders supporter in the primary but she will now proudly vote for Hillary Clinton.  A portion of the audience is chanting Bernie over and over again, and Sarah responded with, "You Bernie or Bust people are ridiculous." 

I can't decide if I'm amused or horrified by what's happening. 

Corey Booker's speech is brilliant. I kinda reminds me of Obama's in 2004. Lawrence O'Donnell said the same thing.

8 minutes ago, Hera said:

Michelle Obama is perfection. That is all.

I agree. She killed it with that speech!

There were so many good parts that I can't even decide which one was my favorite. That part where she talked about how they had to teach their daughters how to handle people questioning their father's citizenship and his faith, and how they tell them "when they go low, we go high," wow that was both heartbreaking (that such ugliness has been spewed towards this family) and so inspiring. It's so amazing to see how the Obama family has handled the hatred towards them with such class and grace and dignity. 

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

Now Sarah Silverman is speaking about how she was a Bernie Sanders supporter in the primary but she will now proudly vote for Hillary Clinton.  A portion of the audience is chanting Bernie over and over again, and Sarah responded with, "You Bernie or Bust people are ridiculous." 

I can't decide if I'm amused or horrified by what's happening. 

I feel her pain. I voted for Bernie in the primary, but I backed off of him when I started  seeing things that I did not like and made me uncomfortable. I have been frustrated over the last several weeks. I get they are upset, wanted their candidate to win and the DNC did not back Bernie, but it is time to realize that the people have cast their votes and Hillary is the nominee. People made their choice, and Bernie endorsed Hillary.

Bernie asked them to not be disruptive and to be respectful during the convention. I guess they did not get the memo. Driving me nuts, this bunch. I watched live a really large group of Bernie supporters screaming at the people doing into the convention. All the screaming at people going in does not change the outcome that Hillary will get the nomination. It is time to move forward and work to keep King Assclown out of the White House.

We have more in common than we don't. I hope we can all realize that and work together. 

2 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I feel her pain. I voted for Bernie in the primary, but I backed off of him when I stared seeing things that I did not like and made me uncortable. I have been frustrated over the last several weeks. I get they are upset, wanted their candidate to win and the DNC did not back Bernie, but it is time to realize that the people have cast their votes and Hillary is the nominee. People made their choice, and Bernie endorsed Hillary.

Bernie asked them to not be disruptive and to be respectful during the convention. I guess they did not get the memo. Driving me nuts, this bunch. I watched live a really large group of Bernie supporters screaming at the people doing into the convention. All the screaming at people going in does not change the outcome that Hillary will get the nomination. It is time to move forward and work to keep King Assclown out of the White House.

We have more in common than we don't. I hope we can all realize that and work together. 

Hopefully they'll tire themselves out today.

I am behind on the feeds. I recorded and trying to catch up. I am watching Sen. Booker. We will rise, that is for sure. You go, Sen. Booker. Chills. This guy gave me chills. I don't get all weepy very often, but dang you....it must be those onions. 

@Mecca: Well said!

The thing the Bernie or Bust people don't seem to grasp is that their behavior isn't turning people against Hillary. It's turning us against them. It's driving the reasonable people out of the movement, which is exactly what happened to the Republican party. They drove away the reasonable people and now their party doesn't even resemble what it once was. 

As I'm typing this, Elizabeth Warren is attempting to speak, and some assholes in the background are chanting "we wanted you" (or at least that's what I think they're chanting) and they seem totally oblivious to the fact that they're being hugely disrespectful of Warren by doing this. They need to shut up and let her speak. 

ETA: some online new sites are saying they're chanting "we trusted you." What a bunch of assholes. They didn't get their way so they're going to try to burn the place down. It would be nice if the Bernie or Bust people could stop behaving like three-year-olds who didn't get their way.

Bernie supporters are angry and rightfully so. The DNC fucked him over. I don't blame them for heckling one bit.

If Bernie supporters have respect for Bernie, then they should follow his lead. He asked them to be respectful and to not be disruptive during the convention. 

10 minutes ago, Alicja said:

Bernie supporters are angry and rightfully so. The DNC fucked him over. I don't blame them for heckling one bit.

I agree. 

This entire election is a sham and it just shows how corrupt the DNC and the RNC and the government in general is. 

The SO and I were talking about who is worse and we can't decide. But everytime someone tells me I "have to" vote Hillary, it makes me want to vote Trump. And I HATE Trump. They are both such terrible choices. One is a racist idiot, the other is a liar who only cares about minorities as long as she gets votes and is LOVING THIS. And she gave Bernie supporters the middle finger by basically hiring DWS. She doesn't want our votes, she shouldn't have them. 

16 minutes ago, Alicja said:

They have a right to be angry. But I don't think they have a right to be rude to speakers at the convention. Elizabeth Warren isn't the one who screwed them over and yet they were heckling her. They heckled her for endorsing the candidate they don't like. And she had a right to do that, and she deserved to get to give her speech without being heckled for it. 

I guess I just don't understand the outrage when Bernie gets it and sees the bigger picture here. If he can move forward, why not his supporters? Is Bernie an asshole now because he endorses Clinton? I guess so according to some. 

Archived