IGNORED

Duggars to Jews: "You Each Are Special"

longskirts

This seems rather condescending to me, but at least they don't mention Jesus:

duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/message-to-people-of-israel.html

I am very creeped out by JimBob using the word "Seed" in that manner. We spent almost a whole year on Abraham in our church and I don't remember any of my translations using the words "Multiply his seed." ICK!

It strikes me as condescending, too. Even though they don't mention Jesus, there's that thing about the Jews being gathered from the four corners of the Earth which to the means to the fundies that "Jesus is coming soon!". That's really the only reason they care about that.

I agree with you, Grace, about JimBoob using the word seed. It's squicky.

I am very creeped out by JimBob using the word "Seed" in that manner. We spent almost a whole year on Abraham in our church and I don't remember any of my translations using the words "Multiply his seed." ICK!

That's the way I learned it in Hebrew School. The Avoda Yitzak (binding of Isaac) is read in Synagogue every Rosh Hashana, and it is probably one the best known parshat. I think most Jews have heard their rabbis speak of G-d promising to multiply Abraham's seed.

Jewish Publication Society 1917 translation (possibly the most popular translation used by American Jews):

Genesis 22:

15 And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham a second time out of heaven,

16 and said: 'By Myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son,

17 that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

18 and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast hearkened to My voice.'

19 So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.

Edited: because I cited the wrong chapter. I better lock myself in the prayer closet!

Wow, condescend to Jews much, Duggars?

"Abraham and Sarah were supernaturally given a child in their old age." Project much, JB&M?

It strikes me as condescending, too. Even though they don't mention Jesus, there's that thing about the Jews being gathered from the four corners of the Earth which to the means to the fundies that "Jesus is coming soon!". That's really the only reason they care about that.

I agree with you, Grace, about JimBoob using the word seed. It's squicky.

Sorry fundies - I'm never moving to Israel. No Jesus in this lifetime!

I want to say that nothing in this post really bothers me as a Jew though. I'll take all the Israel-love I can get, because honestly most of the world is not such a big fan. I don't think JB said anything so bad in this post.

Maybe it's not so much what they say as how they say it. The Duggars lay out how the Bible specifies the Jews as God's chosen people; but sub silentio you get the message that, but for God's clear adoption of the Jews as his own, they'd be seeking to win their souls for Jesus just as they do every other living human being. Basically, I get the idea that the Jews are safe for that reason only from the evangelizing and proselytizing--not because the Duggars respect them as fellow humans who get to make their own choices about their faith or lack thereof.

I really wish some Jews could respond to that post on the blog (it doesn't allow comments though does it) and reply, "That's nice, you each are fuckwits".

Now, here is one area where Doug Phillips and his VF/Reformed followers disagree TOTALLY with the Duggars ("idolatry of modern-day Judaism," anyone?), but you'll never hear Doug call the Duggars out about this or anything. They are far too valuable to him for publicity purposes, so he just puts his hands over his ears and whistles a happy Scottish tune.

Gawd, you can tell that Boob wrote that himself. The grammar and punctuation are abysmal. I'd be embarrassed if that blurb was actually circulated for publication around the areas the Duggars visited.

Agree that Boob is projecting; that's about the best he and the Mullet can hope for these days. And IF she does conceive again, they're going to act like it was a directive from the big guy himself and not the freak of nature it would actually be.

Dear Duggars,

We truly don't care what you think about us.

Also, some of us don't live in Israel and many of us are happy that way.

And many Israelis aren't Jews. And many Israeli Jews are secular. So your blathering on about God is really going to only reach a small segment of the population and that segment of the population probably wants nothing to do with you.

You however, are not special, so stop sending us messages en mass. And stop trying to act like you know anything about us and our history.

Love,

The Jews

ETA: As a Jew, I don't think the Duggars are being offensive here. They just sound like morons and make me want to roll my eyes.

do the diggers even really know what Judaism even is? I mean if it is not their brand of Christianity I doubt the know or really care.

I imagine the Duggars have at least somewhat of an idea of modern Judaism. They wouldn't have survived this long in Israel without it. And being Christians, they would at least know some of the basics and the history, since Jewish history is tied into Christianity in that Judaism came first, and you can't really study the old testament without knowing that.

I imagine the Duggars have at least somewhat of an idea of modern Judaism. They wouldn't have survived this long in Israel without it. And being Christians, they would at least know some of the basics and the history, since Jewish history is tied into Christianity in that Judaism came first, and you can't really study the old testament without knowing that.

I think it's quite easy to survive in Israel without an understanding of modern Judaism, particularly if TLC is shepherding you around on a tour. Modern Jewish life is very complex and just seeing people who are Jewish doesn't actually teach you anything about it.

And I've met Christians who don't know a thing about the basics of Judaism and Jewish history, which the Hebrew Bible does not cover very well, because Judaism as it exists today started existing with the Talmud, which came a lot later than the Hebrew Bible.

The Duggars might know something about Judaism, but I doubt it, mainly because I know people who are far better educated than the Duggars and have met more Jews than them and don't know a thing.

As a Jew, I don't think the Duggars are being offensive here. They just sound like morons and make me want to roll my eyes.

Yeah, this.

But hey, that's me! Special like a short bus! :roll:

That's the way I learned it in Hebrew School. The Avoda Yitzak (binding of Isaac) is read in Synagogue every Rosh Hashana, and it is probably one the best known parshat. I think most Jews have heard their rabbis speak of G-d promising to multiply Abraham's seed.

Jewish Publication Society 1917 translation (possibly the most popular translation used by American Jews):

Genesis 22:

15 And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham a second time out of heaven,

16 and said: 'By Myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son,

17 that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

18 and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast hearkened to My voice.'

19 So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.

Edited: because I cited the wrong chapter. I better lock myself in the prayer closet!

I just looked it up and I was wrong, the translation I use in church DOES say "seed." I guess I blocked it out, haha. I was mostly teaching Sunday School at the time though and I use The Message with the kids so they're, you know, UNDERSTAND at least some parts of what I'm reading instead of letting them be confused by KJV like some people we know. :roll: Of course, they're not in church with their parents so clearly I'm corrupting them anyway! But back on topic....The Message doesn't say "seed" of which I am glad because my Sunday School kids are smart and I don't want to have THAT conversation with them....

do the diggers even really know what Judaism even is? I mean if it is not their brand of Christianity I doubt the know or really care.

I will go out on a limb and predict that they think Judaism is basically just the Old Testament of their Bible. It's a fairly common belief even among mainstream Christians and a lot of people think they are experts on Judaism just by reading the OT. As a teenager, I was told this in church and I wasn't even fundie.

I will go out on a limb and predict that they think Judaism is basically just the Old Testament of their Bible. It's a fairly common belief even among mainstream Christians and a lot of people think they are experts on Judaism just by reading the OT. As a teenager, I was told this in church and I wasn't even fundie.

Agreed. I doubt they care. I doubt they have gone one millimeter beyond the OT concept of Jews as God's chosen race. So if you call yourself a Jew, no matter whether secular, conservative, orthodox, whatever, you're apparently special to the Duggars. I wonder if they have given a thought to the nuance of the political/religious infighting in Israel, or even know it exists.

Agreed. I doubt they care. I doubt they have gone one millimeter beyond the OT concept of Jews as God's chosen race. So if you call yourself a Jew, no matter whether secular, conservative, orthodox, whatever, you're apparently special to the Duggars. I wonder if they have given a thought to the nuance of the political/religious infighting in Israel, or even know it exists.

I also agree. I wonder if the Duggars will consider me special since some of my ancestors were Sephardic Jews who later converted to Catholcism in New Mexico. The Duggars should travel to New Mexico and tell 30% of Hispanics that have Jewish heritage that they are spushul.

Archived