IGNORED

Indiana's new anti-abortion law.

Lillybee

Indiana's governor just signed a very restrictive anti abortion bill.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/03/25/indianas-chilling-new-anti-abortion-law-one-nations-worst

it even requires miscarriages and abortions be either cremated or buried using a funeral director. It bans aborting severely disabled fetuses and goes on from there

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

Indiana's governor just signed a very restrictive anti abortion bill.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/03/25/indianas-chilling-new-anti-abortion-law-one-nations-worst

it even requires miscarriages and abortions be either cremated or buried using a funeral director. It bans aborting severely disabled fetuses and goes on from there

Some days, I just want to get off of this planet. If only there were somewhere else to go.

I do remember when we used to snark on a fundie who buried her sanitary napkins because she thought she had an early miscarriage. Those days are over. This is getting scary.

Maybe I'll make my next donation to Planned Parenthood in the governor's name and have a note sent to him. I've done that to politicians in the past, but it feels fruitless as the issue is so polarized and there's so much misinformation in the media.

I think the logic behind these laws is to spur lawsuits so they can push the case to the Supreme Court, hoping they can have Roe overturned or narrowed.

This is chilling--shades of The Handmaid's Tale.

I can't believe how fast women's rights are eroding. For most of my life I took my freedoms for granted, but now I'm sincerely worried. 

What is going to satisfy these people--a return to the dark ages?

18 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

This is chilling--shades of The Handmaid's Tale.

I can't believe how fast women's rights are eroding. For most of my life I took my freedoms for granted, but now I'm sincerely worried. 

What is going to satisfy these people--a return to the dark ages?

Santorum and others have challenged the Griswold decision, which asserted the right of married couples to use contraception. I don't know which shocks me more: that it's being challenged, or that when I checked just now, I found Griswold was only decided in 1965. I thought it had been much earlier.

@paganbaby: Yes, Griswold was 1965. Fifty years of letting the Awful Godless FeminiNazis have their head is WAYYYYY enough, don't you think?:pb_rollseyes:

For goodness sake: I had the right to vote granted to me in 1976 (at age 18), but all those years and Being Tamed In Marriage is apparently not enough for the extreme-wingers of the parties. (Still snarling that because, in the early 1980s, I had to get my beloved husband to sign a consent for my elective tubal ligation.  Wonder how many states demanded that wives/female significant others had to OK a vasectomy!)

Last I looked, there were six million and forty-seven things on my "To Worry About" list, but the intimate relationships of consenting adults didn't even make the top five million.

For everybody who CAN swing a donation of a couple dollars/euros/whatever: PLEASE consider sending a donation to your local contraceptive/Planned Parenthood/women's health clinic!

Well. I was looking at jobs in Indiana. Guess that's out....

Honestly this whole country is such a fucking dystopia that this doesn't even shock me. Nothing shocks me anymore. Fuck all of this. 

6 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

@paganbaby: Yes, Griswold was 1965. Fifty years of letting the Awful Godless FeminiNazis have their head is WAYYYYY enough, don't you think?:pb_rollseyes:

For goodness sake: I had the right to vote granted to me in 1976 (at age 18), but all those years and Being Tamed In Marriage is apparently not enough for the extreme-wingers of the parties. (Still snarling that because, in the early 1980s, I had to get my beloved husband to sign a consent for my elective tubal ligation.  Wonder how many states demanded that wives/female significant others had to OK a vasectomy!)

Last I looked, there were six million and forty-seven things on my "To Worry About" list, but the intimate relationships of consenting adults didn't even make the top five million.

For everybody who CAN swing a donation of a couple dollars/euros/whatever: PLEASE consider sending a donation to your local contraceptive/Planned Parenthood/women's health clinic!

You and I appear to be contemporaries.

I'm convinced that the reason they're making inroads on these rights is that the restrictions at this point impact the poor, so many women who are financially well-off aren't willing to speak up or even make this an issue that determines how they vote. If they'd all stood up, the extremists couldn't have gained the traction they have.

When I was a teen, abortion was technically illegal in many places, but I knew several middle-class teens and women who'd had them. If you had the right connections and could afford the fee, there was always a doctor willing to perform one under cover of another procedure. If you have a good income, you can afford contraceptives, and if you have to travel to another state--or even country--for an abortion, well, it's cheaper than a college fund, right? So why speak out for the rights of the less fortunate?

22 minutes ago, Ofglen said:

Well. I was looking at jobs in Indiana. Guess that's out....

Honestly this whole country is such a fucking dystopia that this doesn't even shock me. Nothing shocks me anymore. Fuck all of this. 

^^ All of this. Fuck this shit.

14 minutes ago, paganbaby said:

You and I appear to be contemporaries.

I'm convinced that the reason they're making inroads on these rights is that the restrictions at this point impact the poor, so many women who are financially well-off aren't willing to speak up or even make this an issue that determines how they vote. If they'd all stood up, the extremists couldn't have gained the traction they have.

When I was a teen, abortion was technically illegal in many places, but I knew several middle-class teens and women who'd had them. If you had the right connections and could afford the fee, there was always a doctor willing to perform one under cover of another procedure. If you have a good income, you can afford contraceptives, and if you have to travel to another state--or even country--for an abortion, well, it's cheaper than a college fund, right? So why speak out for the rights of the less fortunate?

Darling sweetie of my timespan, you are SOOOOOOO sadly clueless!---excuse me.

If a middle-class-or-upper female gets Unfortunately Pregnant, and it's not expedient to drop them off for six months at a relative or at a Florence Crittenton home, well, the only LOGICAL thing is to arrange an Ending to the Inconvenience.  There IS a reasonable demand for White Anglo Cutie Newborn Babies, but mixed-race kids, or any kid with a handicap, or where you don't have a couple of Collegiate Kids Bumping Bodies to make a Weal and Twoo0 LOVE CHILD---that is not very adoptable, and therefore worthy of termination of pregnancy (even if illegal under the statutes). 

You are OBVIOUSLY not cognizant of the fact that an unplanned pregnancy is somehow the will of the Eternal (cf. Scarlet Letter), and that any female who gets pregnant must carry to term and hold the baby out for the survey of the community---unless, of course, you can afford to travel for an abortion, or have a compliant physician handy, or can afford to hide you within an Auntie's house.

Poor people?---may I politely refer you to this source, as a possible means of Taking Care of this Eugenic Problem? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

2 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

Darling sweetie of my timespan, you are SOOOOOOO sadly clueless!---excuse me.

If a middle-class-or-upper female gets Unfortunately Pregnant, and it's not expedient to drop them off for six months at a relative or at a Florence Crittenton home, well, the only LOGICAL thing is to arrange an Ending to the Inconvenience.  There IS a reasonable demand for White Anglo Cutie Newborn Babies, but mixed-race kids, or any kid with a handicap, or where you don't have a couple of Collegiate Kids Bumping Bodies to make a Weal and Twoo0 LOVE CHILD---that is not very adoptable, and therefore worthy of termination of pregnancy (even if illegal under the statutes). 

You are OBVIOUSLY not cognizant of the fact that an unplanned pregnancy is somehow the will of the Eternal (cf. Scarlet Letter), and that any female who gets pregnant must carry to term and hold the baby out for the survey of the community---unless, of course, you can afford to travel for an abortion, or have a compliant physician handy, or can afford to hide you within an Auntie's house.

Poor people?---may I politely refer you to this source, as a possible means of Taking Care of this Eugenic Problem? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

The sarcasm switch did not die in vain. I'd like your comment a few more times if I could.

You know how when you buy sudafed and you have to show ID and I think be put on some kind of list, so they can make sure you're not using it to build a meth lab? I'm really wondering if some politician is going to start doing the same thing with pregnancy tests. A few years ago I would be laughing at such absurdity. But, with bills like this being passed, I don't think it's absurd anymore. More like it's a very real possibility. 

Wow, I used to be proud to be from Indiana. Now it's starting to get embarrassing. Between the anti-gay laws, the way our public school systems are being ruined, and the stupid law they just made where we're required to get out of the way when someone is speeding our WE'RE the ones breaking the law, it was already bad enough. It's starting to feel like there's a goal to make us into the most backwards, ignorant state in the country. 

Wow, I used to be proud to be from Indiana. Now it's starting to get embarrassing. Between the anti-gay laws, the way our public school systems are being ruined, and the stupid law they just made where we're required to get out of the way when someone is speeding our WE'RE the ones breaking the law, it was already bad enough. It's starting to feel like there's a goal to make us into the most backwards, ignorant state in the country. 

My DH and I like to poke fun of the signs we see around Chicago trying to convince residents to move to IN for cheaper taxes. Yes, IL is all kinds of fucked up in its own special way but at least we don't hate women and LGBT!

9 hours ago, Lillybee said:

I do remember when we used to snark on a fundie who buried her sanitary napkins because she thought she had an early miscarriage. Those days are over. This is getting scary.

Really!!  That's so weird.  This is down right scary. 

Every day I hate this state more and more.  I can't wait until I can leave.  Three more years and I'll be free to move elsewhere.

There's apparently going to be a rally at the Indiana State House on April 9. I'm hoping there will be a large crowd.

Seriously though. If you miscarry you have to have a funeral? That's beyond fucked up. Some people do them, but a lot of folks just want to move on. Firstly, forcing people to spend the money to cremate a bundle of cells is asinine. Secondly, are people also required to have a funeral for everyone that dies? I know people who don't want a funeral at all. 

1 hour ago, daisyd681 said:

Seriously though. If you miscarry you have to have a funeral? That's beyond fucked up. Some people do them, but a lot of folks just want to move on. Firstly, forcing people to spend the money to cremate a bundle of cells is asinine. Secondly, are people also required to have a funeral for everyone that dies? I know people who don't want a funeral at all. 

The hospital bears the cost of burying or cremating the fetal remains, unless the parents choose to do this elsewhere.  I think the purpose is to prevent donation of fetal tissue for research.  

Edit:  Also to guilt the mothers.  Though depending on the required wording of the paperwork that might be more or less successful.  

Archived