IGNORED

Indiana's new anti-abortion law.

Lillybee

20 hours ago, Lillybee said:

I seriously doubt that the state of Indiana will help the women who are forced to carry to term care for their seriously disabled babies.

Above all, this is what makes me furious when states outlaw abortion for pregnancies with are affected by disability.

Certain disabilities can mean expensive, life long care for that child. 

I highly doubt this governor is going to help pay for that....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of these idiots in the state house actually understand the ramifications of various diseases that manifest after 3 months, but are diagnosable before birth?Eg, Tay Sachs?

I have this horrid desire to make them personally care for such children who are born through their ignorance, so they can witness the pain and distress of the child.

But that wouldn't be fair to the child. I am so ANGRY I am incoherent  - dealing with this kind of stupidity should not be part of dealing with elected government. They have every resource to research the realities of the situations on which they report - and then vote. :angry-cussingblack:

My sister in law lives in Indiana.  Nothing surprises me anymore there.

This law does make me rather mad.  I wonder if this will result in an increase in children being placed for adoption at birth or an increase of abortions in neighboring states.  

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:47 AM, RoseWilder said:

Wow, I used to be proud to be from Indiana. Now it's starting to get embarrassing. Between the anti-gay laws, the way our public school systems are being ruined, and the stupid law they just made where we're required to get out of the way when someone is speeding our WE'RE the ones breaking the law, it was already bad enough. It's starting to feel like there's a goal to make us into the most backwards, ignorant state in the country. 

To the bolded, what the frickin farck? (I'm trying to cut back on my cussin)

I'll do everything I can to avoid driving thru the Hoosier State.  That's absolutely nuts.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

To the bolded, what the frickin farck? (I'm trying to cut back on my cussin)

I'll do everything I can to avoid driving thru the Hoosier State.  That's absolutely nuts.

Isn't it insane. There was a big article about it in my local newspaper, and the article said that the police were unlikely to really enforce that law. Which, of course, begs the question: what the hell is the point of making a law that is so stupid the police are embarrassed to enforce it?

What's next? Are they going to make a rule that if we see someone robbing a bank, we have to help them rob that bank or we're guilty of a crime.  

When my mum had a miscarriage, it was just a lot of blood, how are you supposed to bury or cremate that? Is it illegal to not do so? This blows my mind.

3 hours ago, Lillybee said:

Latest news (about 4 pm central) he wants to punish ~providers~ instead of women receiving abortions. Like that's any better...! 

Why isn't Hillary....never mind. Just get me on a flight to Nova Scotia. 

I was reading on RawStory how Chris Matthews likes to trap anti-choice pols with the "gotcha" question of if they would punish women if abortion were illegal.  Most politicians are smart enough to not fall into the trap.  Not Drumpf!  Most anti-choicers know that punishing women is a no-go politically.

All bets are off as far as what works politically these days. Exhibit A: Donald Trump...:pb_confused:

Where do these assholes have time to even think about a bill like this. We have other important issues

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM, busdrivingmom said:

My sister in law lives in Indiana.  Nothing surprises me anymore there.

This law does make me rather mad.  I wonder if this will result in an increase in children being placed for adoption at birth or an increase of abortions in neighboring states.  

Ha. Nope. That's what these people think. Women would place their child for adoption. Wrong. Children might be living in not so good conditions or the woman will find other ways to abort. All you have to do is have $$$$. 

6 hours ago, doggie said:

of course now he backtracks on this.the donald is more flippy floppy then a fish.

Don't insult poor fish like that.  They can't HELP but flipflop when up in the air.

DJT, on the other hand, will speak out of both sides of his mouth as expedient.

I'm wondering when the heck PolitiFact will give up in complete despair at fact-checking and assigning "Pants on Fire!" ratings. Poor media devils: imagine being given the job of fact-checking Trump's statements.

On the other hand, it HAS to be major job security.

13 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Historically if you have enough money you go to a place where it's legal.  Happens in Europe and in states in the US where there are very few abortion providers.  It's the poor that are really targeted by this law (what a surprise- screw the poor again).  They can't travel and thus either have to have the child or go the DIY route.  The children of the poor are disproportionately likely to be non-white and thus much more difficult to place in adoptive homes.  The idea that making abortion illegal will result in tons of blue-eyed, blonde kids being available for adoption is frankly ridiculous.

The other side to this coin is that the way to actually reduce the rate of abortion is through good sex education and the provision of free, easily obtainable contraception.  Of course, they're against all that too.

Not pro-life, not pro-choice, just pro-pregnancy to the bitter end.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I really cannot follow the mindset that:

a) Bans proper education about sex and birth control

B) Refuses to make birth control freely available

c) Demands that unwanted pregnancies are carried to term, by severely limiting, and hoping to ban, the availability of abortion.

d) Refuses to provide proper medical, social or educational provision for the resulting children.

The only way this works is if you issue and lock chastity belts on every female at age 10.

17 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Don't insult poor fish like that.  They can't HELP but flipflop when up in the air.

DJT, on the other hand, will speak out of both sides of his mouth as expedient.

I'm wondering when the heck PolitiFact will give up in complete despair at fact-checking and assigning "Pants on Fire!" ratings. Poor media devils: imagine being given the job of fact-checking Trump's statements.

On the other hand, it HAS to be major job security.

This reminds me of something I read years ago that Harry Truman said about Dick Nixon:

" He can talk of of both sides of his mouth at the same time and both sides will be lying".

In honor of this thread, I've changed my profile picture to a photo of the uterus I knitted a few years ago to send to a politician who'd proposed some anti-choice bill. (There are so many, I can't remember exactly who got it.)

Yet ANOTHER example of the pro-life Republican party - protecting disabled fetuses!  Yet the champions of the disabled fetus will be the first to cut services which are needed for the life-care of the disabled.  In my state, Medicaid is going to managed health care.  This scares the hell out of me because my nephew is severely disabled and will require life-long care.  We've already seen the number of hours that he gets for home and community-based services slashed.  

@paganbaby do you still have that uterus pattern? I'd love to make some to share!  If you don't I can probably find it on ravelry, I just like 'knowing' someone who has used a particular pattern before I start.

15 minutes ago, Khan said:

@paganbaby do you still have that uterus pattern? I'd love to make some to share!  If you don't I can probably find it on ravelry, I just like 'knowing' someone who has used a particular pattern before I start.

I used the one:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTwomb.html

The pattern is very easy and quick. I had to learn to do I-cords for it, so it was early in my knitting days and I wasn't terribly skilled.

Government Free VJJ has links to other patterns here:

http://www.governmentfreevjj.com/the-patterns/

And it is of course linked on Ravelry.

I had a knitted uterus that I used as a cat toy for years. I was so disappointed when Felony finally unraveled it.

@paganbaby, somebody needs to adapt that knitted uterus pattern for two circulars or the Magic Loop.  Some of us are allergic to DPNs.

Archived