IGNORED

Caitlyn Jenner wants to be Ted Cruz's Trans Ambassador

Rachel333

I wonder about that too, Rachel333.  Caitlyn is just fucking clueless about lots and lots of things.  I wish she'd face up to her privilege.  Yes, she's struggled with her gender identity, but at least she wasn't poor.

I have a lot of transgender friends, and none of them want to hear another word about Caitlyn.  They feel she's doing them a lot more harm than good at this point, and that she doesn't care about the transgender community because she's rich enough to get hers, so fuck anyone else.

One thing I have to say about her is that I respect somebody who always stands by their beliefs no matter what. She was always conservative in the past, so why change that just because of a transition?

That's the bad thing about being a republican- you may vote for them because you like how financially conservative they are, but then you realize that you are stuck with religious BS along with that. The only middle ground is Libertarian, but that's not even an option on a ballet in most states, and the candidates don't really make it to the general election anyway.

I think that is the case with her- she's financially conservative, and leans more to the right. The majority of things that Bernie and Hilary are standing for doesn't sit well with her. So what? Different views are essential to a democracy. Not every single American will ever vote for the same person or political party, and that's okay.

As for the trans community- I think she is really trying to help out and be a voice, but doesn't quite understand how serious of a position that is. I know that she is a hit or miss in most peoples' eyes, but nobody can deny that she- in her own way- has really opened a door in a very public eye for that community, and has really helped other people understand on why people transition. That alone is a huge accomplishment. That's why I don't understand the harshness towards her- yes she's different. Every single human is, she has said some stupid things, we all do. Nobody's perfect.

"let's say he goes on to be president, and I have all my girls on a trans issues board to advise him on making decisions when it comes to trans issues"

I had high hopes for her as an advocate of LGBT rights when she transitioned, but I'm afraid the more she speaks the more vacuous she appears. "All my girls" smacks of a sorority attitude of 'wouldn't it be fun' rather than a serious determination to make a difference. 

I think she is on a very steep learning curve, and has some way to go.

On 3/4/2016 at 8:51 PM, Jingerbread said:

I have a lot of transgender friends, and none of them want to hear another word about Caitlyn.  They feel she's doing them a lot more harm than good at this point, and that she doesn't care about the transgender community because she's rich enough to get hers, so fuck anyone else.

Typical GOP standpoint.  I wonder how many of them would be seen even speaking with Ms. Jenner?

The truth is that I think many trans people want to simply blend in and be seen as ordinary men/women, not necessarily be advocates for an unpopular minority group. I remember reading about a trans man who had been very active in the queer community as a lesbian, but after transitioning just wanted to be a "normal" heterosexual guy with no ties with LGBT people. However, I don't think that's the case with Jenner, since everyone knows she used to be Bruce. If she can convince a few conservatives to reconsider their views on trans people, then hats off to her, even if I disagree with her politics.

Caitlyn would love to have a keynote moment like Clint Eastwood had in 2012 with the empty chair and what I imagine it would potentially involve makes me cringe.  

One thing I have to say about her is that I respect somebody who always stands by their beliefs no matter what. She was always conservative in the past, so why change that just because of a transition?

That's the bad thing about being a republican- you may vote for them because you like how financially conservative they are, but then you realize that you are stuck with religious BS along with that. The only middle ground is Libertarian, but that's not even an option on a ballet in most states, and the candidates don't really make it to the general election anyway.

I think that is the case with her- she's financially conservative, and leans more to the right. The majority of things that Bernie and Hilary are standing for doesn't sit well with her. So what? Different views are essential to a democracy. Not every single American will ever vote for the same person or political party, and that's okay.

As for the trans community- I think she is really trying to help out and be a voice, but doesn't quite understand how serious of a position that is. I know that she is a hit or miss in most peoples' eyes, but nobody can deny that she- in her own way- has really opened a door in a very public eye for that community, and has really helped other people understand on why people transition. That alone is a huge accomplishment. That's why I don't understand the harshness towards her- yes she's different. Every single human is, she has said some stupid things, we all do. Nobody's perfect.

I kind of have to disagree. I can't bold on tapa because I am inept.

I don't admire in the least people who stand by their 'beliefs, no matter what.'

Beliefs are not always correct. If you are unwilling to explore that and grow throughout your life there is nothing admirable about it.

That aside I did not like Bruce and I don't like Caitlyn. (Bearing in mind this is based on his public persona in the past and hers now.)

The new show has done nothing to change that. Her friends are so engaging and very charismatic individually and this only highlights to me how vacuous, tone deaf and self absorbed Caitlyn is.

Do I think she was brave transitioning so publicly? Maybe. I think there was probably little choice to do it otherwise. Comparison is not always a good thing but compared to the difficulties faced by so many others then her journey has been relatively easy.

Let's face it wrapped in wealth probably a conservative government and any negative effects this has on minorities will not impact her anyway. Maybe if it did she would examine more closely her political beliefs.

10 minutes ago, OkToBeTakei said:

I kind of have to disagree. I can't bold on tapa because I am inept.

I don't admire in the least people who stand by their 'beliefs, no matter what.'

Beliefs are not always correct. If you are unwilling to explore that and grow throughout your life there is nothing admirable about it.

That aside I did not like Bruce and I don't like Caitlyn. (Bearing in mind this is based on his public persona in the past and hers now.)

The new show has done nothing to change that. Her friends are so engaging and very charismatic individually and this only highlights to me how vacuous, tone deaf and self absorbed Caitlyn is.

Do I think she was brave transitioning so publicly? Maybe. I think there was probably little choice to do it otherwise. Comparison is not always a good thing but compared to the difficulties faced by so many others then her journey has been relatively easy.

Let's face it wrapped in wealth probably a conservative government and any negative effects this has on minorities will not impact her anyway. Maybe if it did she would examine more closely her political beliefs.

I can 100%  see it from that side is well. Her friends are much more open minded, and come from a beaten path. She is stuck in her old ways. And as far as her transitioning publicly? The other option would be for her to never transition at all, and always live with that regret. That's why I think it was brave.

But like I said, different views are essential for a democracy. That's the whole point of an election process. That's why everybody has the right to vote for whomever they choose. Maybe this is just a stupid failed publicity stunt from her, but it shall pass just like everything else the Jenner/Kardashian bunch has pulled in the past.

Well the other option was for her to live a tad more quietly. You know, no eponymous show or lingerie reveal in Vanity Fair. Sure she is a celebrity and the paparazzi and society would have bugged her for a time but after her physical appearance was revealed I would imagine that would have waned somewhat.

That might be classed brave, the path she has chosen smacks of narcissism. Something she shares with rest of her family :lol:

I'm not saying that for her personally that would have made her transition easier or less frightening OR that she should hide away, not at all but at least she could have had time to re-evaluate her life and maybe her opinions would have changed over time, maybe not. The difference is she is quite happy and seeks the spotlight to air her views. Therefore I doubt many have sympathy when she comes across so ....well ignorant frankly.

I am a total KUWTK secret addict. Shhh, don't tell :lol:

2 hours ago, OkToBeTakei said:

Secret is safe with me ;). I am too, just not so secretive haha. Hence, the username. Kylie is my favorite.:my_cool:

On 3/4/2016 at 6:19 PM, KylieJenner said:

She doesn't have to change beliefs as much as she needs to understand that the party she endorses doesn't stand up for LGBT rights, and that her hoping to make that party favorable to the transgender community is really a hope that they'll start voting for people who'll hurt them so she can have her way in other ways.  She has nothing to lose.  She's rich enough to be protected.

I think that is the case with her- she's financially conservative, and leans more to the right.

She's willing to sacrifice rights that will harm others to save her rich self some money.  That's not right.

That's why I don't understand the harshness towards her- yes she's different. 

The harshness is because she wants those who've supported her who are in the transgender community to forsake candidates who support their rights in favor of candidates who'd hurt them to put money into her deep pockets.  This isn't right.

6 hours ago, OkToBeTakei said:

Exactly.  It matters what those beliefs are.  If someone's standing by their beliefs in equality, sure.  But then we have people who stand by their beliefs that some people should have less rights or even be executed for things like being gay or being Jewish or something.  Anyone who admires people who stand by bigotry is part of the problem.

1 hour ago, Jingerbread said:

She doesn't have to change beliefs as much as she needs to understand that the party she endorses doesn't stand up for LGBT rights, and that her hoping to make that party favorable to the transgender community is really a hope that they'll start voting for people who'll hurt them so she can have her way in other ways.  She has nothing to lose.  She's rich enough to be protected.

She's willing to sacrifice rights that will harm others to save her rich self some money.  That's not right.

The harshness is because she wants those who've supported her who are in the transgender community to forsake candidates who support their rights in favor of candidates who'd hurt them to put money into her deep pockets.  This isn't right.

Exactly.  It matters what those beliefs are.  If someone's standing by their beliefs in equality, sure.  But then we have people who stand by their beliefs that some people should have less rights or even be executed for things like being gay or being Jewish or something.  Anyone who admires people who stand by bigotry is part of the problem.

Wow- I guess that makes me a part of the problem. You just have see both sides of politics, and understand that Americans can vote for whomever they want for whatever reason they want, without owing anybody an explanation. She was conservative before she was LGTB. I get it- she is stuck in her old ways, and doesn't want to make room for change. But she is still growing, and for now she is doing what she think is right. Neither political party is perfect, you have to pick and choose your issues. And if Caitlyn does her little pros and cons list, and still decides to vote Republican- who are we to judge her of that right?

I don't think it's fair to use somebody's political beliefs against them. She was open about this since her interview with Diane Sawyer- "I am a Republican". Why are people surprised?

Yes, this is a tacky publicity stunt with the candidate, and it should be left as that. Nothing deeper.

@KylieJenner, she's been trans her entire life!  She may not have transitioned or have been open about her gender identity until recently, but she's been trans far longer than she's been a Republican.

Cait can go suck an egg, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not TG, nor do I know any TG people, but it truly chaps my ass, that the TG folks are stuck with her. She doesn't come across, as particularly sympathetic and/or empathetic, to the challenges and struggles, that your average TG person has. 

On 3/4/2016 at 9:19 PM, KylieJenner said:

(snip) That's the bad thing about being a republican- you may vote for them because you like how financially conservative they are, but then you realize that you are stuck with religious BS along with that. The only middle ground is Libertarian, but that's not even an option on a ballet in most states, and the candidates don't really make it to the general election anyway. (snip)

FWIW, cis hetero Republican here since 1976 (when I first became old enough to vote in US Federal elections).  You don't know how many times I've had to hold my nose in primaries, fighting desperately for a sensible moderate Republican---but when the Rubber Meets The Road, to hell with the party line: I vote for what will best support my beloved nation and its ideals.  

(Donnie Trump and the "Make America Torture-OK Again!" group: I am looking at you---and this anti-gun person is drawing a bead....)

I think Caitlyn means well but has no clue how much she has yet to learn about prejudice and privilege. Although she has been trans all her life, she's completely new to being perceived by others as trans and as a woman, and she's insulated by her wealth and celebrity from just how much difference being out can make. She got a reasonably good public response to coming out with a relatively small amount of negativity, which is great for her but she doesn't give the impression that she realizes that her experience is not universal and how hard some trans people have to struggle for acceptance.

I'm glad she has her "girls" for emotional support, but she doesn't seem to understand that the experience of women of her social group is not normative and they still hold significant economic privilege. Caitlyn seems to just breeze right by that and assumes that her experience means she understands all aspects of transgender identity, when in fact she has no idea what it feels like to be transgender and poor, transgender and a person of color, cut off by family and friends after coming out, etc. She doesn't seem to fully grasp that gender identity (any gender identity) is not a single experience or perspective but many different experiences and perspectives.

Not being trans myself, I feel I should tread a little carefully in saying what she should do, but it really seems like she needs to take more time to learn the stories of other diverse trans people and to get used to living in her own skin before she starts trying to teach and advise others about anything beyond her own story.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:41 AM, OkToBeTakei said:

Well the other option was for her to live a tad more quietly. You know, no eponymous show or lingerie reveal in Vanity Fair. Sure she is a celebrity and the paparazzi and society would have bugged her for a time but after her physical appearance was revealed I would imagine that would have waned somewhat.

That might be classed brave, the path she has chosen smacks of narcissism. Something she shares with rest of her family :lol:

I'm not saying that for her personally that would have made her transition easier or less frightening OR that she should hide away, not at all but at least she could have had time to re-evaluate her life and maybe her opinions would have changed over time, maybe not. The difference is she is quite happy and seeks the spotlight to air her views. Therefore I doubt many have sympathy when she comes across so ....well ignorant frankly.

I kinda think she should've just gone the whole hog and called herself Kaitlyn Kardashian:kitty-wink:

I also admit to more than a passing interest in KUWTK, but then this is the place for watching families who shouldn't really be on TV :TrainWreckMotion:

Yeah, because the GOP is known for being welcoming to anything even remotely different than the norm!  I'm sure transgenders are pretty damn low on their list of concerns!  They aren't the least bit interested in permitting same sex marriage, so why would they want to have anything to do with transgendered people?  Caitlyn just needs to get over herself and live out her life away from the spotlight of fame.  Let others who have had harder paths to cross speak for that community.

Nothing substantive to add other than this thread title puts the the "cog" in cognitive dissonance 

Ooh do expand!!!

Also in general (as in unrelated to the quote) I do not understand the I'm a republican since.... Whatever year thing. Same in my own country. It's like people are more wrapped up in a identity than voting on issues or current political climate et three hundred other things.

Even worse is when I hear people say 'my family has always been......fill space.' Seems kind of sheep like, also a bit nuts.

Archived