IGNORED

Smug homeskooler pokes fun at college...

Lady Elaine

Can you imagine all the ebil messages they would find in our awesome Children's museum?

She can have Vicki McKenna and Scott Walker, though. Hello to a fellow 90 sq miles surrounded by reality-er! *waves*

OT - Vicki McKenna annoys the shit out of me. Even just her voice, even if she said things that remotely made logical, linear sense...she would still be annoying.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's at least one school that specializes in Great Books education. Of course, they beef it up with post-Victorian stuff as well, labs, etc. St John's. The one person I knew who went there was scary-smart.

I was talking about St John's to a friend of mine just last week. St John's adopted the Great Books curriculum in 1937. Shimer College in Chicago also follows the Great Books curriculum as did U of Chicago at one time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_College_(United_States)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimer_College

Oh, she's going to go to college? That's great! :)

She will have a fun time and learn the world is not filled with evil, I hope. She isn't going, though, to one of those crazy Fundie places? Waste of a good brain, that would be.

As others have said: Darlin', lots of people get mail from Yale, etc. Some of us don't even have to beg for it. :roll: But good for her for going to school, I guess.

She tries to portray herself as an intellectual, but if you slice through the overwrought writing, there's not much left.

Also, she hasn't even applied to the college she claims she'll attend:

I didn't want to say this because it requirs a whole post, but I am going to college. Eight hours away, in fact, to a classical liberal arts college based on Greco-Roman educational philosophy and Judeo-Christian beliefs. It isn't Christian, per se, and it's wholly nondenominational. I'm applying this week, actually.

Edit: I wonder if it's Hillsdale College, given the similar wording:

In keeping with its mission, the college operates completely without federal or state funding. Students take a core curriculum modeled on a classical liberal arts education with a required course on the Constitution, keeping with its mission statement of “maintaining inheritance from the Judeo-Christian faith and Greco-Roman culture.â€

Greco Roman educational philosophy? So, no girls, and nude wrestling in gyms?

It's Judeo-Christian in values (which makes no sense but anyway) yet not Christian?

Oh shit, I just joined the dots. Patrick Henry, I'm guessing. Nude wrestling may be unlikely there, but that is the best I can say for it.

She's nothing special. When I took the PSAT, SAT, and ACT 15-odd years ago, if you checked the box to receive materials from colleges you'd be inundated with viewbooks. I had milk crates full of stuff from colleges that I had zero interest in and never intended to apply to. It's not some conspiracy of the librul establishment to convince conservative homeskoolers to attend their colleges and contaminate their minds. :roll:

Greco Roman educational philosophy? So, no girls, and nude wrestling in gyms?

It's Judeo-Christian in values (which makes no sense but anyway) yet not Christian?

Oh shit, I just joined the dots. Patrick Henry, I'm guessing. Nude wrestling may be unlikely there, but that is the best I can say for it.

No, if it "isn't Christian, per se" it can't be PHC. They make you sign a pretty specific statement of faith.

I bet it is Hillsdale. It would be around 8 hours from her if she lives in WI, and she spoke very highly of it in one of her other entries. A friend of mine from high school went there and loved it. That's really all I know about it, though. It makes me nervous that she says she's going there before she's even applied.

I hope she goes to college and manages to like it. I guess she's way insecure, to write the way she does, with that "above it all" tone.

I fear the Thinking Housewife will be her mentor.....

I bet it is Hillsdale. It would be around 8 hours from her if she lives in WI, and she spoke very highly of it in one of her other entries. A friend of mine from high school went there and loved it. That's really all I know about it, though. It makes me nervous that she says she's going there before she's even applied.

They have pretty strict, IMO, admission standards--but they work hard to make themselves Home-school friendly.

Hilldale. That sounds familiar. One of my fellow homeschool highschool graduates went there. I think I defriended her on FB when she was getting too annoying with the Bible quotes and the "I LOVE JESUS!" statuses which increased after she started attending there.

I'm all for Jesus, but I don't think you have to try to prove it every moment of every day with in your face FB posts.

I'm always annoyed by people who ballyhoo the education system that they never attended. I went to a academically selective university and piled on very heavy courses (engineer major, baby!). I went to med school. I have studied quite a bit.

My relatives in China made fun of how "easy" American schools must be because all they hear is how poorly the US does on international exams. Of course, our educational system is far more complicated than a test administered to randomly selected students. I get the same impression with some of these homeskooled fundies. They've never experienced the public educational system, but they heard so much about it. They reinforce that stereotype by giving a cursory glance at the students. They see college students partying in cancun, or clubbing on weekends. They assume ALL students are like that, that ALL colleges are like that.

It always surprises my relatives when I tell them how much I study, or when they see my school work. Yes, they actually do teach beyond fractions in the US! Most of them would probably not be able to survive some of the demanding academic curricula that US universities offers. Ditto for many fundie skoolers . How many of the Maxwell kids would survive a college calculus class? Or biochemistry? Sorry, we don't just read from a text book and do a few problem sets. Good grief. Their head would explode in freshman bio.....

I bet many fundie kids probably think they would be able to waltz into Yale and Stanford because they're education is so superior to the evil government skools. I know some of my cousins had that attitude. I hope some of these fundie kids get a chance to attend a REAL college and pile on solid courses. Maybe they will finally experience real intellectual challenges, see differing viewpoints, and realize the world isn't as horrible they thought.

Hillsdale College--ugh. I wonder if her headship authority has read this (probably not because it's in that Satanic online rag, Salon): "Sex, Lies, and Suicide" http://www.salon.com/books/it/2000/01/19/hillsdale/print.html On second thought, better not tell him. Any college is better than none at all.

Of course, that was 10 years ago, and they claim everything is hunkydory there now. I wonder. It will only cost her 29, 610 dollars a year to find out.

He he. It reminds me of Christendom--similar but for Catholics. A former friend went there. $28,120/yr.

It's like an accredited Bob Jones or Pensacola--similar strict rules.

Whereas I went to a secular state university and now work at a secular private university that's on par with Yale or Harvard. :o Guess I'm going to hell.

The son of a long-ago friend was on the faculty of Christendom College. This guy was pretty much the definition of a batshit crazy Catholic fundie.

Archived