IGNORED

Princess Leia’s Slave Bikini Affirmed God’s Created Order

DomWackTroll

Blog Comment of the Week! Coming at you from that foul-smelling sewer of sexism, the Bayly Blog:

Consider Leia in the slave bikini. Yes, I would have preferred that she had more clothes on, but the episode affirmed God's created order. The slave bikini emphasized Leia's degradation and need for a rescuer. Luke offered mercy to her captor initially but responded with manly force when needed. Isn't that a better teaching than a fully-clothed woman who has no need of a protector because she can fight (only in a movie) better than any man?

http://baylyblog.com/blog/2015/12/star-wars-rey-woman-who-refuses-be-defined-one#comment-2420717404

The entire conversation is, of course, completely ludicrous.

Seriously, these people get stranger and stranger.  Ok, so most women are not physically stronger than men (and my husband often remarks on how - in movies - women manage to knock out men who are much stronger than them) but I don't need a protector thanks very much.

Patronising much!

Isn't that a better teaching than a fully-clothed woman who has no need of a protector because she can fight (only in a movie) better than any man?

Uhhh, no. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Sounds like someone quite enjoys seeing Princess Leia in her slave bikini, and is trying to cinvince others the he only has the pure godly thoughts in his head at that time.

4 hours ago, enigmata said:

Seriously, these people get stranger and stranger.  Ok, so most women are not physically stronger than men (and my husband often remarks on how - in movies - women manage to knock out men who are much stronger than them) but I don't need a protector thanks very much.

Patronising much!

Y'know what drives me really batty about action movies?  How the hero/heroine routinely dodges onslaughts of bullets from a multitude of automatic weapons - usually while running up or down an open staircase - and then dispatches every opposing gunman(woman) with perfectly aimed shots from a handgun! -- again, while running up/down a long flight of stairs. 

THAT, BaylyBros,  Is worth getting one's popcorn kernels in a twist over, at the movies!

Set phasers to miss!

Yeah, this is sometimes called the Principle of Evil Marksmanship, or the Stormtrooper Effect.

bgthq2_8924.jpg

In reality most shots in a firefight miss, so it's the hero who is given Improbable Aiming Skills.  But the real reason this sort if thing happens is that heroes have Plot Armor, which becomes visible with lazy writing of action scenes.

Or to quote Dennis 4862 (a Squall Trooper clone in Space Janitors) "I've shot at rebels."

I seriously think that fundies don't actually know their Bible stories all that well.

Deborah, judge of Israel, was apparently a skilled warrior because Barak wouldn't go to battle without her... Jael, who dispatched Sisera with a tent peg to the head and was hailed as a hero for it... Esther, the skilled diplomat? Miriam who served as a trusted advisor to Moses (even though they had their spats and troubles)? Rahab, who hid the Israelite spies and received a mention in the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11? 

I don't see any of these brave and heroic women wearing slave bikinis and waiting for a man to rescue them...and that was just the Old Testament, moving into the New Testament, you have Phoebe (GASP SHOCK) leading her own church... Priscilla (it is notable that she's always mentioned before her husband)... many others mentioned in the epistles "Greet this woman and her church, I urge you brethren to help this woman and her church" and so on... 

I know this has been mentioned quite a lot but for all the proud braying about how their beliefs are "Bible-based" it seems like they're just making a lot of noise (hmm... seems like I've heard that somewhere else before: "do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men" gee, I wonder who said that...)

Please excuse any incoherence, I just got home from working 7P-7A and I'm losing steam.

Hmmmm. Someone's got some ungodly fantasies going on. Be careful Baylys. God sees all. Better wash your mind out with soap. :twisted:

4 minutes ago, JillsFlowerHeadband said:

I seriously think that fundies don't actually know their Bible stories all that well.

Deborah, judge of Israel, was apparently a skilled warrior because Barak wouldn't go to battle without her... Jael, who dispatched Sisera with a tent peg to the head and was hailed as a hero for it... Esther, the skilled diplomat? Miriam who served as a trusted advisor to Moses (even though they had their spats and troubles)? Rehab, who hid the Israelite spies and received a mention in the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11? 

I don't see any of these brave and heroic women wearing slave bikinis and waiting for a man to rescue them...and that was just the Old Testament, moving into the New Testament, you have Phoebe (GASP SHOCK) leading her own church... Priscilla (it is notable that she's always mentioned before her husband)... many others mentioned in the epistles "Greet this woman and her church, I urge you brethren to help this woman and her church" and so on... 

I know this has been mentioned quite a lot but for all the proud braying about how their beliefs are "Bible-based" it seems like they're just making a lot of noise (hmm... seems like I've heard that somewhere else before: "do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men" gee, I wonder who said that...)

Please excuse any incoherence, I just got home from working 7P-7A and I'm losing steam.

Not to mention the apostle Junia! I mean there was a woman apostle. And sadly some men tried to cover it up...

But, but, things didn't go too well for the creature that put her in the godly slave bikini... He ended up in the pit.

8 minutes ago, Iamhispurity said:

Not to mention the apostle Junia! I mean there was a woman apostle. And sadly some men tried to cover it up...

Yes, I had actually meant to put her in! Brain fog... at any rate, she was listed as an "apostle of note who was in Christ before me (Paul, Romans 16:7)". 

Princess Leia also played a very convincing bounty hunter before she was forced to wear the slave outfit. She even earned the nod of approval from Boba Fett in her disguise and she did this to save the life of a man. Leia's also the one who killed Jabba, she strangled him with the chains that were attached to her body and completed her outfit. I'm not surprised to see those rather important points in the context were ignored.

As for "less clothing = more protection required", this argument has been shown to be very invalid, especially by the nerd standards they are trying to play on. An example? Brienne of Tarth was naked in a bath with the Kingslayer, one of the most infamous knights of the Seven Kingdoms for his strength, swordplay and utter ruthlessness. She still protected him, the manly man, from drowning in that instance. She also protected him from other men and a bear.

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

But, but, things didn't go too well for the creature that put her in the godly slave bikini... He ended up in the pit.

Yeah, it seems odd that he would fail to mention that Princess Leia strangles Jabba the Hutt with her own manacles, which completely invalidates his argument that she waitd around for male characters to save her, like a good submissive female. No one puts Princess Leia in a slave bikini and comes out alive!

14 hours ago, enigmata said:

Patronising much!

What Bayly fails to note is that a fit 22 year old woman could easily outrun, outclimb and outfight his lazy, out of shape 60-year old butt.

Yes, perhaps in a fight between a 22 year old man and woman, the man would generally win. But Bayly has no chance against the majority of fit young women out there.

He also has never flown a fighter plane or engaged in hand to hand combat with an enemy, as Rey did. He's jealous. In real life, he sits on his butt and complains about women in the military. But he and his sons never join the military--it's OTHER men that need to do so. Not them, others.

Luke offered mercy to her captor initially but responded with manly force when needed

Just like Jesus! Oh, wait...

The slave bikini emphasized Leia's degradation and need for a rescuer.

A woman's natural role is to be degraded? That's pretty messed up. 

It's somewhat possible the author just doesn't know what "degradation" means and is misusing the word, but even so, this seems like someone who has a serious issue with women and is trying to use vaguely Christian language to justify it.

Where does one even come up with this stuff? Sometimes I read things on Gospel Coalition or 9Marks that I think are stretching things, but I can at least see where they started to get out to left field. With Bayly's blog, I often can't track his thoughts back to anything that looks biblical or even logical. 

Consider Leia in the slave bikini. Yes, I would have preferred that she had more clothes on, but the episode affirmed God's created order. The slave bikini emphasized Leia's degradation and need for a rescuer. Luke offered mercy to her captor initially but responded with manly force when needed. Isn't that a better teaching than a fully-clothed woman who has no need of a protector because she can fight (only in a movie) better than any man?

:huh:

Uhm, what about the part preceding the slave-girl costume where she displays tremendous courage by entering Jabba's palace and freeing Han from carbonite?!?  Or the scene in Return of the Jedi where she shoots a an imperial soldier who has a gun pointed at Han's back AFTER she herself has been shot?

I wonder what would happen if we introduced this guy to Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise.  Would he spontaneously combust?

3 hours ago, Hisey said:

What Bayly fails to note is that a fit 22 year old woman could easily outrun, outclimb and outfight his lazy, out of shape 60-year old butt.

Yes, perhaps in a fight between a 22 year old man and woman, the man would generally win. But Bayly has no chance against the majority of fit young women out there.

He also has never flown a fighter plane or engaged in hand to hand combat with an enemy, as Rey did. He's jealous. In real life, he sits on his butt and complains about women in the military. But he and his sons never join the military--it's OTHER men that need to do so. Not them, others.

In the words of a late, beloved relative and distinguished military veteran, "War is a rich man's game, played by the poor man's sons."

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Just like Jesus! Oh, wait...

A woman's natural role is to be degraded? That's pretty messed up. 

It's somewhat possible the author just doesn't know what "degradation" means and is misusing the word, but even so, this seems like someone who has a serious issue with women and is trying to use vaguely Christian language to justify it.

Tragic and infuriating, it seems that many he-man woman-haters find refuge in *their twisted versions* of Christianity. 

I'd quote some chapters and verses and the way they've been mangled to promote misogyny , bug I weary. 

Just know: oh yes, using our Scripture to justify their fear and hatred, that's a thing.  

Archived