IGNORED

Woman Tapes Dogs Mouth Shut

FJismyheadship

There is a similar case that went viral about a month ago where all the evidence was lost because the first person to see a video reported it to facebook.  The police only found out about it after she started a facebook page demanding an arrest and is now OUTRAGED that there's nothing they can do.  There is quite literally no evidence... no proof of crime, no venue, no time... 

Along the same lines, there is little help from emailing the police once they are aware that something has occurred.  Emailing them and telling them that you want them to prosecute is really a waste of time.  If they can make a case and it has already received media attention, they will.  Clogging up an email account only increases the likelihood that the detective will miss an email from someone who has actual information. They cant make facebook move faster and they cant (and shouldnt) create metadata so they can get a warrant. In my world, 6 months is pretty reasonable. Every time I see those facebook pages demanding the police arrest someone NOW it boils my blood.  

With respect to this case I'm interested to see the law in whatever jurisdiction this lands.  If there was no harm to the animal I'm not sure that what she did rises to the level of a crime.  Its disgusting and she needs to never, ever have a dog, but the statutes on animal cruelty are pretty weak.

This is just awful. I'm a real dog person. Always had them growing up, and as a teen my mom volunteered with a breed rescue org (leaving me with a lot of the fostering work because my brother was a big sports guy who traveled a lot). And right now, I have two cats. I made a thread for them in Pets, and they are beautiful!

I can see maybe if an animal hurt you, or you were frustrated with it, you might yell or be rough (one of my cats BIT ME HARD ON THE NOSE when I picked him up a few months ago, and I was so surprised I instinctively smacked his nose back!) But there's no excuse for this kind of callous, deliberate cruelty, and even if you're not having a good day, you should rein in your anger so it doesn't affect pets.

Photo of the little nose-biter attached. He is normally very good!

Kingsley cat bed.jpg

This is just awful. I'm a real dog person. Always had them growing up, and as a teen my mom volunteered with a breed rescue org (leaving me with a lot of the fostering work because my brother was a big sports guy who traveled a lot). And right now, I have two cats. I made a thread for them in Pets, and they are beautiful!

I can see maybe if an animal hurt you, or you were frustrated with it, you might yell or be rough (one of my cats BIT ME HARD ON THE NOSE when I picked him up a few months ago, and I was so surprised I instinctively smacked his nose back!) But there's no excuse for this kind of callous, deliberate cruelty, and even if you're not having a good day, you should rein in your anger so it doesn't affect pets.

Photo of the little nose-biter attached. He is normally very good!

Kingsley cat bed.jpg

When I was pregnant, I accidentally stepped on a neighbor's cat when I stepped backwards.  That thing sunk his teeth in my bare leg and held on!  He was attached for several seconds and I was like, "What????"  I had little bite holes in my leg but fortunately, because it was a vaccinated, domestic cat, no harm was done.  Still, like you, @lawlifelgbt, I LOVE animals...dogs especially.

This makes my blood boil (hardcore animal lover/activist)
My dogs can bark at any hour during the night.
Our eldest dog turned into a paranoid wreck after our other dog died. She barks at the slightest noise and goes ballistic if someone raises their voice or hears any slapping noises. But she and our other dog are outstanding guards for the home. If someone steps onto the property they bark until we tell them it's okay. 
(Plus we had a litter of puppies a few months ago. Final 2 are going to their forever homes Monday. Have you ever tried to walk around in shorts with 9 week old puppies, learning to use their voices? Both excruciatingly cute and painful)
I'm so glad they found her. And I hope the book that's thrown at her bounces off her thick skull.

On 12/1/2015 at 10:38 AM, Gimme a Free RV said:

When I was pregnant, I accidentally stepped on a neighbor's cat when I stepped backwards.  That thing sunk his teeth in my bare leg and held on!  He was attached for several seconds and I was like, "What????"  I had little bite holes in my leg but fortunately, because it was a vaccinated, domestic cat, no harm was done.  Still, like you, @lawlifelgbt, I LOVE animals...dogs especially.

Just an FYI, but something like half of all cat bites get infected (even vaccinated domestic cats). It's something to do with the way the cat's teeth are designed. I was bitten (along with the vet @@) when my cat was being treated for an abscess on her butt. The abscess was ALSO from a cat bite from the other cat in our house. And the vet recommended getting on abx asap because cat bites get infected so often. I didn't because I'm big on avoiding abx overuse (stupid me in this case), and my finger swelled up really big and was super sore. It had to be drained. And I still ended up on abx. 

My dog used to just lose her mind at anyone anywhere near the house. And every time a phone rang. She bit me in panic a couple times and my roommate once or twice, fortunately not seriously (hurts/bruises, but no broken skin) and not strangers.

We got her some anxiety meds from the vet for stressful situations, like when we have to have strangers in the house, and she wears a "calming collar". For occasional barking just to bark... she likes chewing her bully stick or trying to get frozen peanut butter out of a Kong more than she likes barking. We also stepped up how much we take her to the dog park and made her walkies longer. A tired dog is a good dog. We also ring the doorbell randomly so it doesn't always mean strangers.

None of this was super expensive and she seems much happier. Her doggy daycare is kinda stiff ($25/day) so she only gets to go when we're both going to be gone all day and can't make it home to walk her.

Anyway, just some thoughts from someone with a princess dog, in case anyone stumbles across this Googling.

Archived