IGNORED

The downfall of the ex-gay movement

16strong

This excellent article posted by The Atlantic chronicles the rise and fall of Exodus International, formed in the 1970's to "rehabilitate" young gay men and women. In particular, it focuses on recent leader Alan Chambers, who publicly apologized to the lgbt community in 2013, when the "ministry" shut down.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... urce=yahoo

Nice to see that they CAN change their minds occasionally.

It's tough enough being a member of the LGBTQ community in general because they still face hate and prejudice. . . but I can't imagine how tough Chambers must have had it to feel such loathing and hate towards himself. It must have been horrible to try and deal with.

It is nice to see that people who seem so against marriage equality can evolve in their views with time. I really wish Chambers - and many other people - didn't need to go through such loathing towards others and self-hatred to get there though.

For some reason I couldn't get the link to work.

FJ's most notorious Xgay Greg occasionally would share some heartbreaking insights into his life and it's very apparent some of his family and church experiences shaped him into the self loathing individual he is today. He embraced who he was for a while but at great cost (after marriage to a woman and 2 kids deep) and I think that fucked him up even more.

As much as I get the LULZ from Greg and his outrageousness I feel deeply sad that he can't seem to love himself for who he is.

A 2013 Pew Research poll showed that only 36 percent of Americans believe a gay or lesbian person’s orientation can be changed.

A third of Americans still think a gay person's orientation can be changed... I know that's a lot lower than it used to be, but that still seems pretty high to me!

A third of Americans still think a gay person's orientation can be changed... I know that's a lot lower than it used to be, but that still seems pretty high to me!

And the earth is 6000 years old jesus rode dinosaurs the sun revolves around the earth and fox news tells the truth

And the earth is 6000 years old jesus rode dinosaurs the sun revolves around the earth and fox news tells the truth

Hold on now! That part is true! As 100% accurate (and totally not Photoshopped) proof, I present a photo from my personal collection -

post-11100-14452000909508_thumb.jpg

It dates to the time I spent gallivanting around with Jesus and his buddies! As you can clearly see, Jesus is riding on my back into Jerusalem.

Game. Set. Match. Your move doggie! :lol:

Why don't those assholes who think it's a choice talk to one of my Facebook friends? He left Uganda for the US after he came out as gay, to avoid EXECUTION.

Would you choose this, if it meant being a refugee? If it meant leaving everything behind and having to lay out your entire life in order to get asylum?

Is it possible that the OT death penalty for gays is because it was considered irreversible / inherent back then? Ie. From their perspective an evil that could not be just resolved?

Is it possible that the OT death penalty for gays is because it was considered irreversible / inherent back then? Ie. From their perspective an evil that could not be just resolved?

I've heard that before, usually in conjunction with teachings that the death penalty was done away with in the NT because it was made possible for gays(and anyone else who chooses not to marry) to live celibate lives of faith. It's also been theorized that this was the "thorn" in Paul's side that he wrestled with throughout his ministry. I'm not sure how much basis there is for that theory about Paul, though.

No because Paul says he has the right to take along a believing wife even as Peter and other apostles and he also talks in 1 Cor. About others remaining as he - probably a widower.

No because Paul says he has the right to take along a believing wife even as Peter and other apostles and he also talks in 1 Cor. About others remaining as he - probably a widower.

The bolded is the other theory I've been taught about Paul. Largely because of 1 Cor. and also because some theologians and historians teach it would have been unlikely for someone to hold the position that he did in the Jewish community of that time without having been married at some point.

For myself personally, I don't put too much stock into the various theories about what the thorn in Paul's side actually was because it's something that doesn't have a clear answer, but there's definitely a lot of conjecture out there.

Not a bible scholar of any water, but growing up, I always felt extraordinary dislike of my sex coming from the man. To the point I never could actually take him seriously as a "godly" person.

I really can't fathom why so many people still think that being gay is some kind of "choice".

There is nothing to be gained by being gay. On the contrary, it usually makes your life much more complicated, even if you are lucky enough to live in a country which is progressive regarding gay rights.

Archived