IGNORED

Socality Barbie and hipster instagram fundies

love2scrap

I love Socality Barbie!

I think LeClerc is bummed because while they were trying to sneakily convert unsuspecting grammers, Barbie, of all people, came along and exposed them. All xtians have the goal of converting you. Every person they come across is a mission field. I left the church years ago and I still have xtian friends who won't let go of me. I'm a potential reconvert, and so they keep the friendship going just in case. I know how it works, I was a party to that kind of behaviour myself. It stinks IMO, and it's as inauthentic as you can get.

Also, check out @jtylerwhitmer - funny funny!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Christian who has zero goals to convert others. Seriously. Most Christians worldwide are Catholic or Orthodox, which tend to be less evangelical denominations. Christianity =/= evangelicalism. One of my big ministry interests is interfaith dialogue between LGBT people of faith, which rather relies on not proselytizing.

I think hipster fundie-lights who use it to lure people in are the worst. I'm sorry your friends have friendship with an agenda.

Esther Leclerc wrote a piece defending the Socality Movement.

intothedaily.com/ (i don't know how she set up her blog but there is no direct link to the article. For that reason i will quote it in full here.

Just hoping that she intended "As I sit here sipping my direct trade, artisan coffee from a local shop I think of the irony..." to be a subtle and clever bit of irony as well. Also hoping that the same person who doesn't "want your superficial safety or security and that means I certainly don't want a 12 month subscription" doesn't also have a stack of Kinfolk issues artfully stacked next to their succulents and record player.

Does she miss the irony in people who think it's ironic for people to buy into one culture and mock another, and yet do the exact same thing themselves--only in reverse?! (And yes, I get that one could say that's what happens at FJ--FJers are at least aware of what they're doing--I hope.)

i was dumb enough to think socal = southern california even though her hilarious hashtags are about living in the pnw.

Me too!

I think she was trying to be funny/poke fun at herself ;-)

I hope so. I really, really hope so. I'm not too optimistic that it was actually meant with any sense of humor or in a bit of good fun based on the rest of the post.

Also, I misread Socality's tagline as "a social community for all eternity". Freaked me out to no end. I kept hearing "Cult! Cult! Warning! This is a cult! If it's not now, it will be soon!" warning bells in my head. Turns out, their tagline is actually, "a social community all for eternity". Although grammatically terrifying, it's less-so on a spiritual level--but only slightly.

Their explanation of the word Socality (Social Community All for Eternity) on their website reminds me of this one WWE wrestler who made up his own philosophy called Destrucity (a TRUCE between Destiny and Reality). They make about equal amounts of sense.

You have slain me with laughter. :cracking-up:

• 3 weeks later...

Socality Barbie just posted her true identity on Instagram and announced that she's going to close the account soon! 

• 5 months later...

‘White Savior Barbie’ Hilariously Parodies Volunteer Selfies In Africa

The bio for the Barbie Savior Instagram says it all: “It’s not about me... but it kind of is.”

While the now defunct Socality Barbie used the beloved Barbie doll to lampoon hipster Instagram accounts, Barbie Savior is taking it one step further by poking fun at people who suffer from the “White Savior Complex.” If you’re unfamiliar, the term is used to describe the white Westerners who travel to third world countries and make the entire affair an exercise in self-congratulatory #sacrifice.

Thanks, HuffPo!

The new account, created by two white twenty-something women (who choose to remain anonymous) was created five weeks ago, and already has over 7,000 followers. Its creators are self-professed former “white saviors,” and say they draw from their own experiences of volunteering in East Africa.  

“We were never as ‘savioresque’ as Barbie Savior, but we did things back in our White Savior days that we regret,” the creators told The Huffington Post via email.

“It really just started as a joke between us, a way to get some of these things off of our chest. Its hard to pinpoint the irony at times in real life... the wildly self-centered person veiled as the self-sacrificing saint.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-savior-barbie-hilariously-parodies-volunteer-selfies-in-africa_us_570fd4b5e4b03d8b7b9fc464 

LoL, I just read that on HuffPo. I could almost see some of the fundies in place of barbie. Those hash tags are the best!

Archived