IGNORED

Socality Barbie and hipster instagram fundies

love2scrap

So here's the back story. Apparently,the Socality Movement took off in Jan 2014. Here's the brief summary on socality.

christianpost.com/news/the-socality-movement-how-the-changing-role-of-local-churches-inspired-a-new-form-of-evangelism-video--144251/

At a time when more people are said to be turning away from faith, one group of believers has developed a new, innovative way of spreading the Gospel to ultimately propel people closer to God, and it seems to be working.

Socality has been described by its founder as a "new form of evangelism" and a movement that is "committed to creating spaces of belonging online and turning these into real life transactions." To put it simply, Socality connects believers and non-believers alike, mostly via social networking sites like Twitter and Instagram, for the purpose of bringing them closer to faith.

Socality's Director of Media is none other than now-dissolved VF's very own Philip Leclerc. He and his wife Esther are heavily involved in the lifestyle as is obvious from their instagram and facebook.

Now moving on to Socality Barbie. Although this parody instagram account was started 18 weeks ago, found rapid popularity, was covered by The Guardian, Daily Mail, Inquisitr and other news sites, and now has 1.3 million followers. Basically, a barbie doll doing all the fake-authentic hipster instagram poses but specifically sarcastic of the Socality peeps who luv Jesus and thus take a hundred photos of their coffee, sunlight filtering through the trees, and mountaintop poses in the mist.

Find her at instagram.com/socalitybarbie

Esther Leclerc wrote a piece defending the Socality Movement.

intothedaily.com/ (i don't know how she set up her blog but there is no direct link to the article. For that reason i will quote it in full here.

You can trust us - the media & Socality Barbie

Friday, September 11, 2015

I don't believe it is as innocent as it appears. Call me a cynic, but whenever the media and top news sources start paying attention to something I'm compelled to ask why. Why this?

When “Socality Barbie" first came on the scene I took it as yes, immature, but still just a satirical account overall poking fun at some of the cliches of Instagram. I didn't really pay much attention other than checking out the account a couple times to see if I could figure out what the voice behind the doll was really getting at in her own masked way. At that time I thought I understood. (For the record even though I saw the humor in the parody I was never okay with her singling out Socality, borderline bullying or mocking Jesus).

It was when out of nowhere mainstream magazine after magazine and website after website featured the account so that within a week Barbie had officially blown up and her satirical jabbing became one of the most hyped trending phenomenons of social media pretty much overnight.

It only took a minute to realize it shouldn’t be a surprise that so many main stream media sources, ESPECIALLY the likes of Vogue, Nylon, People and Seventeen would jump on board promoting an account that makes fun of the photographer, millennial, Pacific North West, Instagram, Jesus loving sub-culture as a whole.

As I sit here sipping my direct trade, artisan coffee from a local shop I think of the irony of who is now behind this plastic doll - pushing her to the top of our news feeds and excitedly pointing their finger at a so-called “inauthentic†subculture.

What's so sad is that, using Barbie as their spokesperson, the mainstream media is planting the seed in their reader's minds that these Instagram trends are cliche and inauthentic. Do you hear me? THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA IS TELLING US WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T AUTHENTIC?! Do you see the irony? I'm not delusional, I understand that a majority of what I see online isn't always real or showing me the whole story. I've come to expect that. I don't expect anything more from any magazine or website. Now I could have expectations of these media moguls...the power they've shown they have. If they can get a barbie to a million followers imagine if they chose to raise up someone who was actually working on solutions to the issues of our day!

Honestly, if we're going to start pointing fingers, as a woman, and as a wife & mother, I've got a finger to point at them -

I'm way more over the photoshopped images than of seeing the same foggy places over and over.

I am more sick of the two pages of warnings after every pharmaceutical drug you advertise than the people standing in the middle of a photo taking in the fresh, mountain air.

I'm more sick of the fake smiles than the Iceland Air shoutouts.

I’m tired of the stereotypical woman you attempt to convince us is the ideal time and time again.

I think it's cliche to claim we’re all beautiful to be followed up with how we can fix everything about ourselves.

I’m sick of the underlying message that happiness can be achieved by living for ourselves.

I’m sick of the expensive designer clothes. The perfectly styled hair. The best sex. The ritzy cars. The pointless life.

I don't want your superficial safety or security and that means I certainly don't want a 12 month subscription. If we're going to raise up the issue of who should be called out for being inauthentic I think Vogue Magazine and the like should be first to take the stand.

I am not defending the cliches and overdone Instagram images. In fact I really love when I see people changing it up and am huge supporter for not posting for the likes or followers. I love variety. I understand the need for less cliche and more heart.

Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. - Romans 2:1

At the same time I’m not going to allow the kings and queens of inauthenticity led by a person who hides behind a doll tell me what is and what isn’t authentic. There's a reason I don't read much from those sources and I certainly don't read anything from them expecting it to be authentic.

Obviously this is just a small collection of my thoughts on this and there is so much more that can be discussed. Basically what I'm getting at is if you're going to point out the speck in your brother's eye you'd better be prepared to address the plank in your own. This is why we need to be careful when we cast judgement on people who use social media differently than ourselves.

Oh, and to steal from The Princess Bride,

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

xoxo,

Esther

I get her point. Authenticity shouldn't be dictated by media or society. Authenticity is found in yourself.

At the same time, the Socality Movement is creating a new society in itself, creating copycats of hipster Jesus-lovers. I think the authenticity movement IS very much in danger of creating unauthentic people.

(Here's what i find interesting, I follow Kelly Bradrick on instagram, and she seems to be dipping her toe in the movement as well, posting vsco-edited shots of her pretty children rollicking in sunshine and homebaked goodies and charmed motherhood. If this i authenticity for her after all the rubbish in vision forum, i am happy for her.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a little too much pino noire but this seems too close to sodality to me. I wore a sodality medal in my youth...when I am less wine inebriated I will write about the connection.

Gah! Thank you for posting this. When I first heard of Socality Barbie a few weeks ago I tried to find out what "Socality" was but whatever I read, I never did understand it and didn't pick up that it was a religious movement of sorts. I mostly find Socality Barbie amusing with her overuse of hashtags, some of the crap she writes ("May your #nationalcoffeeday be as beautiful and inspiring as mine."), and how she pokes fun of our need to take a picture of a beautiful moment instead of just enjoying it. Also, "Ken" cracks me up with his Sharpie beard.

Thanks for starting the topic. Try as I might, I can't seem to wrap my mind around what Socality IS, exactly - and I've been perusing their stuff online for a while now. Lots of good-looking hipsters, meeting up, taking pretty pics of nature and one another with their iPhones, and making vague references to the glories of Creation. That's all I got.

Based on Esther's recent posts, it sounds like the LeClercs have been living a fairly nomadic existence. I wonder, what do these people actually DO? How do they support themselves financially? These are the tough questions...

(I'd love to see some of the Kelly Bradrick pics, but her Instagram account is private. :shrug: )

Kelly's instagram is private, which is why i don't understand why she uses hashtags. Aren't they used for a wider audience? I am not 100% sure she is part of the socality group but she used the hashtags #pnw #motherhoodrising and a myriad of other similarly strange ones.

Peter Bradrick has a public instagram which he seems to be using more frequently though.

Instagram.com/peterbradrick

good grief. Fundies have to show up in everything. i had no idea this trendy hipster stuff was for some a vaguely religious thing. :shifty-kitty: i guess i shouldn't be surprised. :shrug:

i love socality barbie's satire. i was dumb enough to think socal = southern california even though her hilarious hashtags are about living in the pnw. :cracking-up: if she's also a slam at pretentious religion.

i disagree with Esther Leclerc. Her rant, about the media being hypocritical, is misapplied. The media's just reporting on the phenomenon. Hipster Barbie is famous and followed because people are sick of overdone, intentional, controlled "authenticity". She wasn't created by mainstream media. She strikes a cord with people who love to poke fun at plastic fakes. No one in popular media is condemning a manufactured lifestyle, just when it's lying about what it is. The Kardashians/high fashion/glossy mags don't claim to be all natural while taking immense effort to be perfect and idealistic. Truly authentic hipster life in the woods would be like the Real Truth About the Nauglers facebook feed.

are we sure socality is supposed to be conservative? :shock: there's definitely some trolls in their midst, unless they're taking authenticity all the way to explicit content.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Meanwhile, my brain refuses to parse 'Socality' as a word.

Their explanation of the word Socality (Social Community All for Eternity) on their website reminds me of this one WWE wrestler who made up his own philosophy called Destrucity (a TRUCE between Destiny and Reality). They make about equal amounts of sense.

So I read Esther's ramble. Maybe it's because I read it before I drank all my coffee, but I couldn't comprehend any of it as making sense.

Coco, i saw the explicit pics hashtagged #socality as well :D i guess someone knew it's a well known search tag and used it to advantage

So I read Esther's ramble. Maybe it's because I read it before I drank all my coffee, but I couldn't comprehend any of it as making sense.

Was it brewed with a Chemex? If not, Socality Barbie is judging you.

Was it brewed with a Chemex? If not, Socality Barbie is judging you.

I'd had my coffee and it didn't make any sense to me either. My coffee was brewed in a good ol' percolator because my Chemex is taking a break until I replace my stove.

I'm waiting for the hipster crowd to re-discover percolators.

I'd had my coffee and it didn't make any sense to me either. My coffee was brewed in a good ol' percolator because my Chemex is taking a break until I replace my stove.

I'm waiting for the hipster crowd to re-discover percolators.

Percolators should be used in tandem with lumberjack-y boots, red/black block print flannel shirts and canvas backpacks. It's a natural. Honestly, what is WITH these people?

But anyway, I LOVED #socalitybarbie.

#socality? Meh.

However, it is worth reading the comments on the #socality response to #socalitybarbie. Some great stuff in there.

I get her point. Authenticity shouldn't be dictated by media or society. Authenticity is found in yourself.

At the same time, the Socality Movement is creating a new society in itself, creating copycats of hipster Jesus-lovers. I think the authenticity movement IS very much in danger of creating unauthentic people.

Yep. I've pretty much decided that anyone who feels the need to advertise that they are "living authentically" is not, in fact, living authentically at all.

Thanks for starting the topic. Try as I might, I can't seem to wrap my mind around what Socality IS, exactly - and I've been perusing their stuff online for a while now. Lots of good-looking hipsters, meeting up, taking pretty pics of nature and one another with their iPhones, and making vague references to the glories of Creation. That's all I got.

Based on Esther's recent posts, it sounds like the LeClercs have been living a fairly nomadic existence. I wonder, what do these people actually DO? How do they support themselves financially? These are the tough questions...

(I'd love to see some of the Kelly Bradrick pics, but her Instagram account is private. :shrug: )

YES -- what do the Leclercs do for cash?? I think "good-looking people taking pretty pictures" is really all I can figure out about this Socality thing, and I also thought the "Socal" part referred to southern California, where the LeClercs currently live (when they are not in Peru, etc.).

I feel comfortable posting this, and I thought it was a given......Philip does video/film work/editing. It can be done from "home", so works well with their gypsy lifestyle. He and his brother still keep an office/studio type of place back in Wisconsin.

I admit that even after talking with them about socality, I'm still a little confused about it.

I feel comfortable posting this, and I thought it was a given......Philip does video/film work/editing. It can be done from "home", so works well with their gypsy lifestyle. He and his brother still keep an office/studio type of place back in Wisconsin.

I admit that even after talking with them about socality, I'm still a little confused about it.

Did I understand correctly in that you spoke directly with the LeClercs re: Socality and it still wasn't clear? I'm interested in hearing about this exchange!

Did I understand correctly in that you spoke directly with the LeClercs re: Socality and it still wasn't clear? I'm interested in hearing about this exchange!

Sorry, lol, but it's not very exciting. We're friends in real life. The last time they were here, socality was still really new, they hadn't had any events yet. We talked about it, Philip was super pumped. I get that they desire to bring people together and to evangelize in an accepting way, I just don't really understand how that's being accomplished. I don't know what they actually did at that big event they recently had.

I just don't really understand how that's being accomplished. I don't know what they actually did at that big event they recently had.

Oh thank goodness - I'm so glad I'm not alone in not getting it!

I've been sneaking peeks at articles about Socality Barbie today, and I am having a very hard time not laughing out loud at work! :lol: :lol: :lol: If you need a little pick-me-up, I highly recommend it.

Ha! I thought "Socality" was SoCal-related, too!! :embarrassed: Then, I noticed the "PNW" hashtags and figured it meant something else, but I totally thought Socality was SoCal + Locality when I first saw it. LOL

YES -- what do the Leclercs do for cash?? I think "good-looking people taking pretty pictures" is really all I can figure out about this Socality thing, and I also thought the "Socal" part referred to southern California, where the LeClercs currently live (when they are not in Peru, etc.).

I wonder if the big Socality events are paying the bills.

I had to follow up on Kinfolk, which I thought was a made-up prop magazine for #SocalityBarbie, which in reality is a Portland hipster rag, $18 a copy or $60/year.

New York Times lays it out in

Better Homes and Hipsters: Kinfolk Magazine, the Martha Stewart Living of the Portland Set

nytimes.com/2014/04/27/fashion/kinfolk-magazine-the-martha-stewart-living-of-the-portland-set.html?_r=0

In the Kinfolk world, nobody is shoveling a smelly Chipotle lunch into his or her mouth while toiling in an ugly beige cubicle, nobody owns any appliances or vehicles built after 1970, and certainly nobody is wasting time playing video games on an Android while lounging around in technical-fabric gym-wear.

As depicted by the magazine, it’s almost as if the Depression never ended — if, that is, everyone in back then had been young, attractive, scrubbed clean and not hungry. ,,,

Williams [one of the magazine's creators] said that the magazine’s lack of racial diversity so far was an unfortunate oversight, not meant to signal that the Kinfolk lifestyle was for only young, willowy white people. “We’re about living with intention, thinking about what you’re doing and trying to enjoy the smaller things, like a meal, a conversation, time out with friends,†Mr. Williams said. “That’s what we’re focused on, and obviously anyone has access to that.†He paused.

“Well,†he said, “at least most people.â€

If you dare, kinfolk.com/

Wow, if you didn't know what she was writing about you would think that somebody had killed her cat. Oh the humanity, someone is poking gentle fun at my instagram aesthetic!

Wow, if you didn't know what she was writing about you would think that somebody had killed her cat. Oh the humanity, someone is poking gentle fun at my instagram aesthetic!

Indeed. Let me try to translate Esther's long-winded response: " 'Socality Barbie' is an absolutely spot-on, brilliant spoof, and funny as hell, and I'm embarrassed."

Archived