IGNORED

Captive - The purpose-driven film

thoughtful

I was not completely in "ignore the ads" mode while watching TV the other day, and noticed that the preview for the new film Captive had something in it about a life-changing book, and a comment from Rick Warren. Hmmmmm. . . .

Sure enough, the life-changing book is Warren's The Purpose-Driven Life, and the film ends with an epilogue in which Warren, Oprah Winfrey, and the woman involved in the incident portrayed in the film tout the book as the reason bad people went right.

Trying to get that book out of the remainder bins, Rick?

As bad creative writing students have whined forever -- "But, it's a true story!"

To be fair, I did see some reviews that said it is less pushy than most faith-based films.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/movies/ ... rayer.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3268668/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

"Captive" is a movie about an innocent person being grabbed and subjected to all sorts of fear and abuse, and no, I don't mean me. Although sometimes it felt like it.

Fact-based and faith-centered, it's the story of a single mother (and recovering addict) taken hostage by an escaped prisoner (and multiple murderer).

He makes her hide him in her dingy apartment for the night. She starts reading aloud from Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life." And instead of then getting really violent – which would certainly be understandable – the killer starts to calm down.

Of course, maybe he was just bored. I know I was.

:lol: Is it going to be a proper film to watch at the cinema, or just another YouTube extravaganza?

Edit, I see it is a pay film on Amazon. I don't think I will be paying for it any time soon.

:lol: Is it going to be a proper film to watch at the cinema, or just another YouTube extravaganza?

It has opened in theaters, but I don't think it is a wide distribution.

Here's the theatrical trailer (longer than the ad running on TV, and shows the book even more clearly):

[bBvideo 560,340:2gpt3z3l]

[/bBvideo]

Archived