IGNORED

Texas HB 2794 takes effect today (Alecia Pennington)

VVV

This is the Identification Abuse bill prompted by Alecia Faith Pennington's situation (basically she is an undocumented adult despite having been born and raised in Texas, due to her parents' willful negligence in failing to file a birth certificate). The text of the law is here (not necessary to break link): http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84 ... 02794I.htm

I wish I could believe that her parents will choose to follow the law. Unfortunately my feeling is that they will delay by any means legal or not in an effort to prevent her from becoming independent, or at the very least in an effort to drain her and her supportive family members of all possible resources. I hope I'm wrong.

That's interesting. A Class A misdemeanor is a not more than a year in jail and a $4000 fine. I wonder if that'll motivate them to sign it?

That's interesting. A Class A misdemeanor is a not more than a year in jail and a $4000 fine. I wonder if that'll motivate them to sign it?

I doubt they'd get jail time, probably just a fine, and I don't think it would be enough to hurt them. I am deeply, deeply pessimistic about the Pennington wardens parents. For one thing, if Alecia Faith prevails, it might give their other hostages chidults ideas.

This is the Identification Abuse bill prompted by Alecia Faith Pennington's situation (basically she is an undocumented adult despite having been born and raised in Texas, due to her parents' willful negligence in failing to file a birth certificate). The text of the law is here (not necessary to break link): http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84 ... 02794I.htm

I wish I could believe that her parents will choose to follow the law. Unfortunately my feeling is that they will delay by any means legal or not in an effort to prevent her from becoming independent, or at the very least in an effort to drain her and her supportive family members of all possible resources. I hope I'm wrong.

Claiming Christian persecution is very popular these days. I wonder if they'll go that route and try to claim that their religious beliefs are violated by birth certificates. They're the mark of the beast, perhaps.

I am so in awe of what Alecia has achieved. This must be immensely satisfying for her. :clap:

Now, if only her parents would realise the jig is up...

Yes, if her parents wanted to cooperate, this would have been taken care of 6 months ago. So proud of what Alecia has accomplished.

Wonder if she can file a civil lawsuit if they don't comply.

I was wondering that too, or if she'll have to chase the DA? or whomever to charge them if they don't sign it. Or is it more like a traffic ticket, and once it's issued the process becomes automatic?

It's good to see Texas moving in the right direction on this particular matter. I'm also curious about how it will be enforced. Lisa is clearly a crazed control freak, and her husband doesn't appear to be much better. He also seems to subscribe to the "I'm too sooper-speshul to follow laws for everyone else" school of patriarchal thought. I hope I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that they will want to punish Alecia and the family who helped her, both from personal vengeance and to make a strong example for the other kidults at home.

I doubt they'd get jail time, probably just a fine, and I don't think it would be enough to hurt them. I am deeply, deeply pessimistic about the Pennington wardens parents. For one thing, if Alecia Faith prevails, it might give their other hostages chidults ideas.

I can't figure how to quote the right way from my phone but a class a misdemeanor in texas is the "worst" type of misdemeanor. It's one step to a felony and I also know if you're charged with the same type of crime repeatedly in texas, the DA has the option of making your crime a felony. Two previous misdemeanor theft convictions makes the next time you steal from wal mart a felony. (It happened to a distance relative of mine. She got prison time for stealing lotion of wal mart. The jokes write themselves) same with DUIs. And I have a former neighbor who's public intoxication tickets were being bumped up from class C misdemeanors to class B . I fully believe it will only be a matter of time before she becomes the first person to go to prison for being drunk in public. Admittedly, I haven't read much about this bill so I wonder if her parents don't comply, if they will just keep getting charged with it and it could eventually turn into a more serious charge?

Posted today on facebook:

Today was a huge victory! After almost a year of fighting to prove identity, we finally did it! But without my lawyer, William Morris with Gray Reed attorneys, and state rep. Dr. Marsha Farney, I never would have been able to get this far.

Even though there is still the social security administrations office to tackle, we've got the big hurdle underway and there's hope for future documentation! Stay posted for further updates! #helpmeproveit

Archived