IGNORED

FOTF about to go belly up/falling apart(MERGED)

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I should have posted in that other thread: "Focus on Your Own Damn Family" :)

Still. They're the ones who put out those horribly creepy Dr. Dobson radio spots, so all I can say is good riddance.

Jan,

We're all here for you in your time of grief. I know my own life will be less bright with the flame in the darkness that is FOTF.

(I would like to applaud myself for typing that last sentence with a straight (albeit queer) face.)

Maybe there IS a god!! :pray:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would almost want to take a trip down to Colorado Springs to have a dance party in their parking lot on their last day.

I feel bad for the people who will be unemployed when the organization goes kaput, but I can't bring myself to feel too bad that it's going away. :P

My feelings on this particular news can only truly be expressed through the subtle communication form of smilies:

:lol: :dance: :clap: :banana-rainbow: :banana-stoner: :greetings-clapyellow: :gay-umbrella:

Let's hope they don't get the money they need to stay in business.

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

That hundred grand that my father stupidly gave them (that could have been split 5 ways to help his children) down the drain. Ah hell, it was down the drain the moment the executor wrote them the check.

Otherwise, happy happy day! Another one bites the dust.

Guest Anonymous
Jan,

We're all here for you in your time of grief. I know my own life will be less bright with the flame in the darkness that is FOTF.

(I would like to applaud myself for typing that last sentence with a straight (albeit queer) face.)

Thank you so much for the condolences and I envy you your deadpan.

We received their newsletter for years and every mailer was some version of "OMG, send $$$$$$ now - eleventy - !!!! - or we'll have to shut our doors". They have had to make cutbacks in recent years but they have a lot of donors with deep pockets. I would be thrilled if they closed their doors but I won't be holding my breath.

Speaking of FOTF, what about Dr. Dobson's son who got divorced? Prior to the wedding everyone on FOTF was happy as clams and Dr. Dobson talked about his son. Then he gets divorced, after a pretty short marriage, and no one at FOTF is allowed to say anything. I always thought the son was gay myself but who knows?

Both of the Dobson adult children were adopted as infants. I wonder if either one has searched for their birthparent(s). I know FOTF and other Christian fundamental groups are opposed to adult adoptees having the right to their OBC (original birth certificate).

Nell

I don't think Dobson's son is gay. Christianity Today did a big cover story on FotF about a month or two ago (you can access it on their site) and one of the sidebars dealt with the Dobson family. IIRC, the son is divorced but either remarried or in another relationship. He's not directly connected with FotD and the main story in CT dealt with new focuses for the organization now that Dobson has stepped down. I got the impression from the article that the new head of FotD doesn't have the same political bent as Dobson.

I don't think Dobson's son is gay. Christianity Today did a big cover story on FotF about a month or two ago (you can access it on their site) and one of the sidebars dealt with the Dobson family.

You're right. Ryan Dobson is remarried and has a 2 1/2 y.o. son: http://blackchristiannews.com/news/2009 ... board.html

Nell

Maybe Daddy Dobson should have had his very good buddy Neil Clark Warren use his speshul e-Harmony formula to find Dobson's son a compatible wife.

That hundred grand that my father stupidly gave them (that could have been split 5 ways to help his children) down the drain. Ah hell, it was down the drain the moment the executor wrote them the check.

Otherwise, happy happy day! Another one bites the dust.

What happened to the notion of "charity begins at home," that is, helping your family and friends meet their needs?

Talk about topics we like to see! Seeing this made my morning!

We can only hope that FOTF is going down for the count but I wouldn't be surprised if some sugar daddy comes up with the bucks for at least a short-team lease on life.

We received their newsletter for years and every mailer was some version of "OMG, send $$$$$$ now - eleventy - !!!! - or we'll have to shut our doors". They have had to make cutbacks in recent years but they have a lot of donors with deep pockets. I would be thrilled if they closed their doors but I won't be holding my breath.

So much this. It's a standard fund-raising tactic of almost every Christian organization I've ever been a part of. They'll still be here tomorrow.

I borrowed heavily from the technique when we were looking for people to host kids from other states once. Poured on the pity (we really were desperate, and it was last minute). I got more responses from that email than from any thing else we had tried.

Focus itself doesn't look like it's going belly-up just yet...rather, it's 501©4 lobbying arm Citizen Link is sounding the alarm for ca$$$$h. It appears the various Tea Party groups are sucking the funds that would otherwise go to other groups.

However, I am reminded that Focus itself has been laying off people almost every year since 2002. In August 2010, 110 workers were laid off.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/laid-10 ... riday.html << from last year's round of layoffs

What happened to the notion of "charity begins at home," that is, helping your family and friends meet their needs?

There were 50 beneficiaries in Dad's trust. Forty of them were not family members (I have 4 nephews and niece who also received nominal gifts in proportion to the entirety of his estate - my mother had already passed, so the trust had to be dissolved). FOTF and his church got the bulk of the estate.

Archived