InkyGirl

Satan must be sleeping in my bed. I had cabbage patch dolls and was a Rainbow Bright fanatic as a kid.

If the fundies are lucky, I might let him out of bed long enough to ruin their lives.

They didn't even mention the Teletubbies or whatever they're called that include the one doll with the triangle on his head who some people think is gay. Yeah, I know, the source appears to have been printed prior to the invention of the Teletubbies; but still.

Part of their complaint about Cabbage Patch Kids is that supposedly kids with them are being programmed to take on adult responsibilities sooner than they should be. Um, considering how so many of their kids, especially their daughters, are pushed into doing all the housework and taking care of their REAL brothers and sisters, is the pot calling the kettle black much?

Anyone remember the rainbow Brite movie? Starlight the horse was such a flamer. I mean, it was OBVIOUS.

Rainbow Brite, see the shining light...

Oh man, this discussion reminds me of a small (like 5 inches tall) jointed doll that me and my sister found once. She was in equestrian attire with a riding jacket and breeches and hat, but we were little and had no frame of reference so we called her Catwoman--my sister had seen a bit of Batman at the boy next door's house. Well, my mother didn't approve of Catwoman. She made us rename our doll Horse Lady.

What about ventriloquist dummies? My 9 year old has an old Charlie McCarthy one with a broken mouth string he bought at a flea market. That is supposed to be a grown man doll who wears a tux,tophat and a monocle(ours is missing the monocle) Who ever thought that would make a fun doll for children? Last year my son dressed the same and he and the dummy were "Slappy from Goosebumps" for Halloween. Its a creepy ass doll and he loves it.

I believe this toy-thing comes straight from Gothard/ATI.

Will I believe barbies and similar dolls to be a bit critical because they give girls false ideas about the "ideal" woman, a standard they can never live up to because a woman like barbie couldn't be alive, much less standing upright, I think this demonic stuff to be ridiculous.

Magic thinking (giving power to inanimate objects) is acceptable in childhood. But not in grown people. They should stop sprouting such nonsense and get a grip on their responsible "headship".

I always thought the name "Josie Brooklyn" sounded like a Cabbage Patch Doll name. Just a random comment... :-)

Scanned through the tome....Gummie Bears are of the devil? Who knew? Maybe that is why I am so inclined to buy a bag of those chewy lil candies from time to time. My little ponies satanic...Unicorns represent the antichrist. Where did this dude matriculate?

Checked Alibris, the author wrote several scare the hell out of fundie parent books back in the day...Wonder what happened to him...

My oldest daughter had Tragedy (Living Dead Dolls). She turned out just fine.... Daughter number two had a doll she called "Freaky Baby". Daughter still has Freaky Baby....and is otherwise a well adjusted second year college student...(umm daughter that is not the doll!). Twin daughters were seriously ticked off by oldest daughter, they collaborated and constructed a voodoo doll to represent their errant sibling. The twins were 8 at the time. They got in serious trouble (no prayer closets or 1/4" plumbing line involved) for playing with fire. Burning your sister in effigy is never okay! The twins will be 18 in two weeks. One talks to the spirits with her pendulum and the other reads tarot cards.

I guess by Fundie standards I am an epic fail as parent. Who knew it was the evil toys I allowed them to play with...what was I thinking? Cabbage Patch Dolls, Barbies, Hotwheels (i wonder if little cars are demonic?)My Little Pony and Living Dead dolls all of these tools of the Devil.....

Oh well. I guess I will have a handful of demon possessed gummie bears and call it a night.

These people are idiots. How dumb do they think kids are? A toy is just that, a toy. Granted, my parents wouldn't spend money on Barbie...she was a lousy role model for a girl back then...no job, and overly concerned with her looks. But then, ta da....astronaut Barbie made her debut! (Yikes, I'm dating myself, aren't I?) Seriously, the worst part of all of this is the micromanaging of kids' lives. And, fundie or not, it's bad. Basically, kids need to be left the heck alone while they play. Yeah, be close by, but fact is, in a normal kid, once the play time begins, you, as an adult, simply don't exist. Nor should you, until lunchtime, of course!

Guest Anonymous

We had a huge Barbie discussion before moving to Boregonia. Our old neighbor worked for Mattel ergo free Barbies. I was a no vote for the kingdom of Barbie. Hubby and the kid were yea's . The gave the living rurally excuse. They also argued the girl had to develop a fashion sense since we were dirt loving hippies. Well she got the Barbies, two to travel with her and then at least one a month for six months. Turned out they were all gay according to the DD. She said they were displaced lipstick lesbians from Los Angeles....

My mom's not a Fundie but she would never let me or my sister have Cabbage Patch Dolls because she said that witches in the factories put spells on the dolls. She maintains that view to this day......I don't know why she thinks that.

These people are idiots. How dumb do they think kids are? A toy is just that, a toy. Granted, my parents wouldn't spend money on Barbie...she was a lousy role model for a girl back then...no job, and overly concerned with her looks. But then, ta da....astronaut Barbie made her debut! (Yikes, I'm dating myself, aren't I?) Seriously, the worst part of all of this is the micromanaging of kids' lives. And, fundie or not, it's bad. Basically, kids need to be left the heck alone while they play. Yeah, be close by, but fact is, in a normal kid, once the play time begins, you, as an adult, simply don't exist. Nor should you, until lunchtime, of course!

I agree to a point, but I also think it's ok sometimes for the parent to play WITH the child. I have lots of good memories of playing barbies with my mom (having no siblings to play with.)

I am surprised at the care bears....the CARE BEARS????

I always thought the name "Josie Brooklyn" sounded like a Cabbage Patch Doll name. Just a random comment... :-)

Scanned through the tome....Gummie Bears are of the devil? Who knew? Maybe that is why I am so inclined to buy a bag of those chewy lil candies from time to time. My little ponies satanic...Unicorns represent the antichrist. Where did this dude matriculate?

Checked Alibris, the author wrote several scare the hell out of fundie parent books back in the day...Wonder what happened to him...

My oldest daughter had Tragedy (Living Dead Dolls). She turned out just fine.... Daughter number two had a doll she called "Freaky Baby". Daughter still has Freaky Baby....and is otherwise a well adjusted second year college student...(umm daughter that is not the doll!). Twin daughters were seriously ticked off by oldest daughter, they collaborated and constructed a voodoo doll to represent their errant sibling. The twins were 8 at the time. They got in serious trouble (no prayer closets or 1/4" plumbing line involved) for playing with fire. Burning your sister in effigy is never okay! The twins will be 18 in two weeks. One talks to the spirits with her pendulum and the other reads tarot cards.

I guess by Fundie standards I am an epic fail as parent. Who knew it was the evil toys I allowed them to play with...what was I thinking? Cabbage Patch Dolls, Barbies, Hotwheels (i wonder if little cars are demonic?)My Little Pony and Living Dead dolls all of these tools of the Devil.....

Oh well. I guess I will have a handful of demon possessed gummie bears and call it a night.

Your daughters sound like our kind of people! I bought my kids Voodoo dolls in New Orleans(and they bought their friends some because everyone wants Voodoo dolls from New Orleans.Most of my family is psychic,we have a few tarot readers and my mom prefers the pendulum for asking questions. :clap:

Remember those ugly troll dolls that became popular in the 90s? I believe in one of the editions (or sequels) of this book they talk about how evil those little suckers were. I had no idea of their "sinister" nature until a godmother of mine started freaking out and telling me that this book said the company behind the dolls was Satanic and the manufactured names that were given to each troll was demonic. Her paranoia about these toys was so bad that her children were afraid to even be in the same room as them. I wonder how many exorcisms the church performed in the 90s due to "possession by troll".

Remember those ugly troll dolls that became popular in the 90s? I believe in one of the editions (or sequels) of this book they talk about how evil those little suckers were. I had no idea of their "sinister" nature until a godmother of mine started freaking out and telling me that this book said the company behind the dolls was Satanic and the manufactured names that were given to each troll was demonic. Her paranoia about these toys was so bad that her children were afraid to even be in the same room as them. I wonder how many exorcisms the church performed in the 90s due to "possession by troll".

I greatly dislike those dolls, but that is no reason to call them demonic! Seriously, I could see calling a doll demonic if it started chanting "Ava Satanas" when you pressed its tummy, and came with such accessories as the satanic bible and a magic wand, or whatever else it is satanists would use. Anything else should not be called demonic.

Archived