IGNORED

Jani Schofield's parents are divorcing

mstee

The book is worth a read. I have it. And he DOES shake her as an infant.

I feel bad for Jani. I hope she can work through the divorce.

Is the book worth it? I almost downloaded it but didn't want him to proffit off of this more than he already has. I put it on my wishlist for now.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the book worth it? I almost downloaded it but didn't want him to proffit off of this more than he already has. I put it on my wishlist for now.

I wouldn't want him to benefit from the sale either. You might be able to get a second hand copy somewhere and support a little second hand bookshop instead :lol:

He does go on a bit about how he is a writer etc etc, I think he was hoping for a TV series, or that a movie screenplay would be done of his book. I hate the title of the book: January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save her. It's pretty dramatic - not that their lives haven't been, but it makes me think of tabloid papers and their screaming headlines.

He also did an AMA on Reddit a year or so ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... schofield/

I wouldn't want him to benefit from the sale either. You might be able to get a second hand copy somewhere and support a little second hand bookshop instead :lol:

He does go on a bit about how he is a writer etc etc, I think he was hoping for a TV series, or that a movie screenplay would be done of his book. I hate the title of the book: January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save her. It's pretty dramatic - not that their lives haven't been, but it makes me think of tabloid papers and their screaming headlines.

He also did an AMA on Reddit a year or so ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... schofield/

Good idea, thank you. And I will check out reddit also.

I remember seeing this family on Oprah years ago and getting this sense that the parents seemed a little too eager to point out Jani's episodes and symptoms. Almost like they were excited when she experienced a symptom of SZ. I felt really bad for thinking something so negative about parents under such stress. After reading the GOMI thread, I feel a little more convinced that the parents have pushed the SZ diagnosis on Jani and her brother Bodhi. The mother has public posted on FB that most autism diagnoses are a conspiracy by the government and that they kept changing doctors when they'd diagnose Jani with autism. That, coupled with the constant videotaping of the children and goading them into tantrums and shouting and admissions of abuse... I'm just overwhelmingly saddened. I feel like due to her "diagnosis" of childhood-onset SZ, any accusations of abuse or mistreatment may be shrugged off as a "psychotic episode" just as so much of her seemingly normal behavior has been considered.

I just quickly skimmed the reddit article. Michael says "no camera crew has ever captured Jani's worst symptoms." Riiight...

Doesn't shock me. I hate those damn parents, read the book and watched the specials and they both seem so narcissistic and exploitive, they don't deserve either of those kids.

As for Jani's diagnosis, I'm not a degreed medical professional and thus cannot diagnose anyone, and since the specials only show small, edited portions of her life and the book is by her father, so he's going to say whatever he wants people to believe, neither are a good indicator. Only the professionals who have treated and worked with Jani can really say.

I do think Jani is incredibly young, she's been on all kinds of meds, and it appears, abuse. It may become more clear as she gets older, but either way, those shitty parents didn't help, who knows what those medications have done to her still-growing mind?

Schizophrenia is a fucking...ugh, I work with duel diagnosed developmental disabilities and mental illness and it's just...I don't even know...hard to watch, if that makes any sense...

Book is definitely worth a read, if only for the shock factor. A LOT of crazy shit went down in that family.

I'm familiar with this family and that they're very controversial but don't feel qualified to speculate about diagnoses, etc. For those who know more than I do, what do you think the parents have to gain with a schizophrenia diagnosis?

I'm familiar with this family and that they're very controversial but don't feel qualified to speculate about diagnoses, etc. For those who know more than I do, what do you think the parents have to gain with a schizophrenia diagnosis?

I'm also not qualified to speculate about specific diagnoses, but if you read up on Munchausen Syndome by Proxy, it might help you understand why the couple might push for an inaccurate schizophrenia diagnosis. Basically, autism is somewhat typical and not all that romantic or tragic these days. But if their daughter is the youngest-ever-diagnosed schizophrenic... well, that's worthy of attention and sympathy.

They post videos a lot to FB. Actually Jani is completely changed. She's not having these horrible issues like before. She's almost living a more typical life. However Bodhi (sp)? Is going through the same stuff Jani did but actually appears much worse then she wAs. I know he's been hospitalized way more times then she was. Parents mostly mom wants him on a certain medication. Insists that will fix it. She insists he has the same condition as Jani. Doctors disagree and insist he has autism only. Refuse to do the hard core meds. They keep taking him back trying to get a dr to see what they do. The boy is not as verbal as Jani was and can't say he sees such and such. Therefore they aren't getting anywhere with the dx they want. Everytime he is discharged mom rants on FB thAt he still didn't get discharged with the correct medication. She also does a radio program. They rant about crazy stuff on there. The mom had CPS called on her because a hospital they took him to insisted he was being over medicated. Now she refuses to administer any of his meds period. He had taken over that chore. Meanwhile they show videos of Jani making cookies , gojng to parties ect. While bodhi wails in the back ground while some care giver is usually in a chair holding him. Its all very strange.

The last documentary I saw was when Bodhi was around 4 or 5 and Jani 11ish. I remember feeling so sorry for Jani, Bodhi too, but when he'd have a screaming fit, everyone would rush around to restrain him and Jani was just left to her own devices. Most of that documentary she was wandering about fairly aimlessly, with no one really paying her the slightest bit of attention at times.

Once when Bodhi was writhing on the floor screaming, and his dad and an aide were holding him down and/or restraining his arms to prevent him biting himself, Susan was commentating (narrating?) the incident, and Jani just faded off into the background, slowly walked off to her room, and sat on her bed, looking out the window. I felt so much for her. It was as if now, having reached a point of some stability, she wasn't worthy of attention, or wasn't as interesting, or something...For me, that's the whole thing with those parents, something just seemed so....off. And although I couldn't put my finger on what it was, I did know that I felt troubled by it.

I just read some of the mom's FB page. :? What a loon. Somewhere in the comments, she has stated she believes both Jani and Bodhi are psychic because psychic and psychosis are related. There was apparently an old lady at a bagel shop that told her that Jani could see things. :? What IS it with these people thinking their kids are over the top special yet also over the top broken in a way that's never been done before? it's all well...over the top! :pink-shock:

I actually don't fault them for having another child after Jani. They wanted one, Jani wanted a sibling, and I think with all the effect that Jani's illness has on their family, they knew she could not have anything like a usual childhood.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to want or get a child that does not have a serious illness/disability, if that means trying for another after the ill/disabled child. It's not the parents' responsibility to dedicate their entire 24/7 lives to one child, regardless of that child's needs. I know many parents are all about sacrificing everything for a kid that needs 24/7 care, and that's great. But, I also think parents deserve to have something more in their lives than just the kid- I.e their job, their marriage, any other kids of the couple, etc.

I also believe the stress of always being sole caregiver(s) to children with 24/7 needs (I know young nondisabled kids need lots of care too, but there at least, it doesn't last for the kid's entire life and other family are more willing to help out), contributes to abuse. I am not excusing the alleged sexual abuse; that's awful. However, things like shaking a baby, or hitting a child (when not part of a pattern or planned), often happen largely due to the parent being under severe stress.

The above said, I really feel that with better state and community support, more willingness to hospitalize for violence/psychosis, and respite care, the marriage would not have fallen apart.

Support caregivers. No one should be a full-time caregiver unless they really want to, family ties notwithstanding. Even though you love them, I bet parenting 24/7 like that is impossible.

The gain of a diagnosis is the access to services and assistance. You don't get access to many things without a definitive diagnosis. It sucks, but the right tick of a box can make or break you in that regard.

I think the dad is a creep and the mom probably could be diagnosed with a few issues herself, however, Jani was/is under the regular care of the UCLA psychiatric hospital. I tend to trust them. I'm not saying they are foolproof, but Jani is/was getting pretty good professional care.

When I saw the update on "Oprah: where are they now".. and saw they were trying to give Bodhi the same Dx. Ug. I understand mental issues run in families, but it reminded me of the I Love Lucy episode in Italy when all the little kids were saying "She's-a my-a birthday too-eh!" to get bday presents from Lucy.

I'm not sure that the parents understand that kids, especially non-verbal ones, but kids in general have limited ways to express issues.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out as far as custody.

I just read some of the mom's FB page. :? What a loon. Somewhere in the comments, she has stated she believes both Jani and Bodhi are psychic because psychic and psychosis are related. There was apparently an old lady at a bagel shop that told her that Jani could see things. :? What IS it with these people thinking their kids are over the top special yet also over the top broken in a way that's never been done before? it's all well...over the top! :pink-shock:

Seriously, these people are batshit. But what really annoys me is that none of this could even be touched on in any of the specials about them? Like, at least a few minutes devoted to criticisms of the parents and asking the parents a few tougher questions?

Seriously, these people are batshit. But what really annoys me is that none of this could even be touched on in any of the specials about them? Like, at least a few minutes devoted to criticisms of the parents and asking the parents a few tougher questions?

Exactly. The mom's ranting about UCLA hospital on her FB page is really nuts. She. Just. Doesn't. Stop. :wtf:

/

Or support your local library, and check their interlibrary loan possibilities.

Exactly. The mom's ranting about UCLA hospital on her FB page is really nuts. She. Just. Doesn't. Stop. :wtf:

She has bi-polar 2. This could be affecting how she expresses herself

So I'm scrolling through the blog out of curiosity and the dad is talking about how they control Bodhi when he has an "episode." I find this REALLY creepy:

The sad thing, though, is feeling physical pain from being bitten by Bodhi is the only time I feel fully alive.

Just like in 2008 when Jani used to hit or kick me.

The sharp sensation, the stinging wound after, reminds me that blood still rushes through my veins, that my heart still beats.

Something just seems...off with that kind of reaction :?

So I'm scrolling through the blog out of curiosity and the dad is talking about how they control Bodhi when he has an "episode." I find this REALLY creepy:

Something just seems...off with that kind of reaction :?

I think this is the most dramatic family I've ever seen. :shock:

I had read some things about this family before and watched some of the footage. I always had kind of a weird feeling about the parents but I took them at their word and thought that anything that seemed off was just because they were dealing with something that would be incredibly difficult for any parent.

After reading through this and the GOMI thread a few days ago, though, I can't believe anyone still takes these people seriously. I feel so bad for those kids and I definitely no longer feel guilty for wondering if the parents were milking the whole child schizophrenic thing a bit.

• 1 month later...

I was just reading Susan Schofield's facebook page today. :pink-shock: There is so much crazy going on. Susan putting posts up asking readers to weigh in on her divorce with Michael. The topics she's dicussed publicly include Where she and Michael should live, child support, holidays, inviting herself to Michael and his girlfriend's wedding. It's a real sh** show.

I was just reading Susan Schofield's facebook page today. :pink-shock: There is so much crazy going on. Susan putting posts up asking readers to weigh in on her divorce with Michael. The topics she's dicussed publicly include Where she and Michael should live, child support, holidays, inviting herself to Michael and his girlfriend's wedding. It's a real sh** show.

TIL when your life is like one of those polls where the viewers are asked to weigh in on the plot twists of their favorite soap opera, your life is like one of those polls where the viewers are asked to weigh in on the plot twists of their favorite soap opera.

Archived