IGNORED

Christian couple vows to divorce if gay marriage is legal

Rachel333

Or those who are happily married and never, ever want children.

Excellent point

These idiots live in my town and consequently they've been all over the local press - I dont think I've come across a single person who doesn't think the Jensens are batshit crazy (or realise that Nick works for the Australian Christian Lobby). Not even avidly church-going Mr. Cactus, who normally has a soft spot for religious nuttery.

Marriage equality was legalised here a couple of years ago, albeit very briefly, before the laws were deemed unconstitutional and annulled by the Supreme Court. I wonder if the Jensens made the same threat then :roll:

There's a Facebook 'event' people can go to (it doesn't really involve going anywhere) marking September 1 as "Celebrating Nick and Sarah's Divorce" Day. So far, 104,000 people are 'attending'. I think the date will changed depending on when we get same sex marriage passed, which WILL happen eventually, despite Tony Abbott's despair :roll:

People like this, give the good Christians in our communities a bad name.

I am sure they see themselves as crusaders for their god and doing something great but, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what they will accomplish? If marriage is a god thing, will it matter if they are married by the ebil gubment or not? And if it does matter in some way, why? How?

These idiots live in my town and consequently they've been all over the local press - I dont think I've come across a single person who doesn't think the Jensens are batshit crazy (or realise that Nick works for the Australian Christian Lobby). Not even avidly church-going Mr. Cactus, who normally has a soft spot for religious nuttery.

Marriage equality was legalised here a couple of years ago, albeit very briefly, before the laws were deemed unconstitutional and annulled by the Supreme Court. I wonder if the Jensens made the same threat then :roll:

DUDE! CBR Represent! :) I'll put money on you and me knowing people in common. (it really is that kind of town).

Ah, Tuggeranong. The deep south in so many ways. I didn't even know there was a bible believing Baptist church in tuggers, but the longer I spend here the more I realise we sure do have our share of the... I'll go with deeply religious. Kid who was in my little sister's class is now a pastor at a pentecostal church out of charnwood, and the boy next door a pastors at a c3 church. I don't know how we even all ended up here, none of us work in the public service.

That they made the onion has just made my day.

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/ ... ized-50655

This is all a bunch of bullshit anyway because they can't get divorced here. There is no such thing as a quicky divorce here in Australia. To get divorced you have to be able to prove that you weren't living as a married couple for a year and by their own admission they will continue to live as one. By going public now they've cut off their nose to spite their face. :music-tool:

Well then, I guess they aren't taken their own marriage vows seriously buy not keeping the promises they made before God.

The thing is, if they plan to divorce as soon as same sex marriage becomes legal, they can't, because to divorce, they have to be legally separated for a continuous period of 12 months beforehand. Apparently these two chuckleheads also know other couples who wish to follow in their footsteps and divorce. Australians largely think they are all idiots, and are laughing at them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-11/c ... ge/6539412

So if they get a divorce they have to live separately, thereby depriving their children of a home with both parents. In other words, they're protesting children being deprived of a mother and father by .. depriving their own children of a mother and father. Even if it weren't a stupid position to take, their way of standing up for it is stupid.

Actually, they don't have to live separately. You can be separated and live in the same house. You do, however, have to be separated. Do they'd either have to lie about that bit, or you know... separate.

None of which necessarily involves anyone moving out.

Actually, they don't have to live separately. You can be separated and live in the same house. You do, however, have to be separated. Do they'd either have to lie about that bit, or you know... separate.

None of which necessarily involves anyone moving out.

I wouldn't put it past the Jensens to try and deliberately misrepresent their position to the courts (or Centrelink, or the tax office etc), but I also can't see any of those bodies believing a word of it. They'd have to start hating each other more than they hate themselves teh gayz and I just don't think they've got it in them.

Oh, and the Baptist church in Tuggeranong is scary. I keep getting leaflets in my mailbox inviting me to come and speak in tongues. My French isn't that good :think:

Or those who are happily married and never, ever want children.

You know, I've never gotten a solid answer from these types as to why they're okay with a childfree woman like me marrying but not a same-sex couple. There's usually some waffling about how my relationship holds the potential for procreation (they say the same about infertile and older couples), because I *could* get pregnant, never mind that such an incident would be swiftly followed by an abortion. Somehow this makes less of a mockery of their notion of the perfect nuclear family than a same-sex couple not aborting a non-existent fetus and, possibly, offering a loving home to a child. I think they must think pregnancy secretes magical hormones that make every married woman love her fetus and want to birth it (women who seek abortions, obviously, are unmarried heartless harlots :roll:).

You know, I've never gotten a solid answer from these types as to why they're okay with a childfree woman like me marrying but not a same-sex couple. There's usually some waffling about how my relationship holds the potential for procreation (they say the same about infertile and older couples), because I *could* get pregnant, never mind that such an incident would be swiftly followed by an abortion. Somehow this makes less of a mockery of their notion of the perfect nuclear family than a same-sex couple not aborting a non-existent fetus and, possibly, offering a loving home to a child. I think they must think pregnancy secretes magical hormones that make every married woman love her fetus and want to birth it (women who seek abortions, obviously, are unmarried heartless harlots :roll:).

Exactly, the 'potential' and the good old dismissive 'oh you will change your mind' argument.

But I think in the fundie minds, we are going to hell for being 'serial aborters' anyway - you know, birth control.

Archived