IGNORED

Christian couple vows to divorce if gay marriage is legal

Rachel333

I would say ending a marriage willy-nilly over something that doesn't affect them is more of a disgrace to marriage than two people who love each other getting married.

But what do I know? I'm sane.

Doesn't that fall under the category 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face?' Or something like that.

Anyway... :roll:

They're taking their toys and going home?

Okay.

Well, that doesn't affect my marriage at all, so I'm going to stay married.

So.... in order to ensure children have both a mother and father they are going divorce and what? Live in sin? Cut their children's access to both mother and father in half? If it does pass, does that mean they won't have any more kids? That's probably a good thing.

On a side note, I also have no problem with polygamy (provided all spouses know about each other). There is a tendency toward all sorts of child endangerment problems in that crowd too, mostly due to also being extremely insular. But I don't think they are insulated because they want to be. For the most part, it's because they end up with all sorts of legal trouble because of their beliefs.

Edited because franking keyboard

I have a question for these Helen Lovejoy, "Think About the Children" idiots. What about people who are too old to have children or sterile, does that make their marriages invalid too?

Ugh! Get out of my country you intolerant fools :pull-hair:

Yes, let's the let the supposed 6% of Australians who go to church regularly dictate how everyone else should live, that seems fair. Assholes.

Edit: Added more

better hope one of them does not end up in the hospital and only relatives are allowed. kiss insurance for both if both don't work. well they will pay more in taxes so thats good. really no one will give a flying fuck and it is just a stupid persecuted christian complex thing.

better hope one of them does not end up in the hospital and only relatives are allowed. kiss insurance for both if both don't work. well they will pay more in taxes so thats good. really no one will give a flying fuck and it is just a stupid persecuted christian complex thing.

Actually, I hope that some of these things will happen to these fools. If they themselves will experience the horrible agony of not being able to be at their ill partner's bedside, they might realize why this whole marriage thing is so important, and why gays are so passionate and adamant about it.

Because you know if two same sex people getting married has any effect on your life then maybe one of them are gay. Maybe they'll divorce and stop living a lie.

Makes as much sense as anything else I've heard this week. I've run into too many slinkys lately. Not much good for anything but fun to push them down the stairs...

Ugh! Get out of my country you intolerant fools :pull-hair:

Yes, let's the let the supposed 6% of Australians who go to church regularly dictate how everyone else should live, that seems fair. Assholes.

Edit: Added more

Regular church going Aussie here. Actually, extremely church going as I've just started a new job working for the Salvation Army.

Just want to point out that some of us 6% think same sex marriage is a good idea.

The Sydney Morning Herald article appeared on my Facebook page yesterday. There was a comment underneath saying "Why haven't they already divorced in protest of all those atheists getting married in civil ceremonies?" I thought that summed up the idiocy of their threat to divorce pretty well.

Regular church going Aussie here. Actually, extremely church going as I've just started a new job working for the Salvation Army.

Just want to point out that some of us 6% think same sex marriage is a good idea.

The Sydney Morning Herald article appeared on my Facebook page yesterday. There was a comment underneath saying "Why haven't they already divorced in protest of all those atheists getting married in civil ceremonies?" I thought that summed up the idiocy of their threat to divorce pretty well.

Oh Miggy, I didn't mean all church goers were assholes, if that's how it sounded I'm sorry :cry: I know some churchgoers who are for same sex marriage as well. I just don't like Christians like this couple who are so holier than thou, and make ridiculous statements like theirs.

This is a hilarious (satirical) response to that couple's threat:

sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2015/06/11/same-sex-couple-threaten-not-give-shit-if-other-couple-divorces

Local couple Brett and Harry have said that while they are not heterophobic and do their best to be open to all different kinds of views if this divorce does go ahead they will have no choice but to go on with their lives completely unaffected by such a dumb stunt.

These two are so ridiculous its funny. 'things are happening that we don't like so we are going to do something that only hurts us!'

.....um, ok.

Wait, what? Why?

I read through the article more than once. I figured I must be missing something.

Their logic completely escapes me. Completely. :cray-cray:

Wait, what? Why?

I read through the article more than once. I figured I must be missing something.

Their logic completely escapes me. Completely. :cray-cray:

It's beyond me as well. One of the people who works for me got married last year as soon as the courts made it legal. The fact that she has a piece of paper that says she's married to another woman doesn't have the least impact on my (straight) marriage. I haven't had any rights taken from me, and the institution hasn't changed in any way that affects me at all.

But then again, the fact that they'd been together for ~20 years, and had the typical two kids, house and a minivan didn't seem to make much difference in my relationship either.

The thing is, if they plan to divorce as soon as same sex marriage becomes legal, they can't, because to divorce, they have to be legally separated for a continuous period of 12 months beforehand. Apparently these two chuckleheads also know other couples who wish to follow in their footsteps and divorce. Australians largely think they are all idiots, and are laughing at them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-11/c ... ge/6539412

But the Family Law Act states that an application for divorce will only be considered if the parties had separated and lived separately for a continuous period of at least 12 months.

Family lawyer Denis Farrar said the court also needs to be satisfied that there is no reasonable likelihood of cohabitation being resumed.

"It surprises me that any sensible person would make such a threat, because you can't get a divorce unless you've been separated for 12 months," he said.

"It doesn't sound like Mr Jensen could truthfully swear that those facts are correct. And in that case he may apply for a divorce, but he won't get it unless he lies."

I have a question for these Helen Lovejoy, "Think About the Children" idiots. What about people who are too old to have children or sterile, does that make their marriages invalid too?

Or those who are happily married and never, ever want children.

Archived