IGNORED

Do Hard Things. - Harris Brothers

formergothardite

Yeah, it varies a lot. But I'd say most kids who belong to a mainline church or a scouting group or something like that, did community service as a part of that, even if the "community" being served was just their own church - my partner wouldn't give to charity or do volunteer work if I didn't push him, but he did service work through the Scouts and did dishes at the Lent fish fries all through high school.

Rebelution is just a way to organize that for the kids who don't go to churches that do real service work, or who go to the SOTDRT and the Church of Daddy Said So.

My kids make lunches for the homeless in Sunday School and they're just little kids. Honestly it is more than they do at home, because they don't make their own lunches.

Yeah, it varies a lot. But I'd say most kids who belong to a mainline church or a scouting group or something like that, did community service as a part of that, even if the "community" being served was just their own church - my partner wouldn't give to charity or do volunteer work if I didn't push him, but he did service work through the Scouts and did dishes at the Lent fish fries all through high school.

Rebelution is just a way to organize that for the kids who don't go to churches that do real service work, or who go to the SOTDRT and the Church of Daddy Said So.

Trufax. The Lutheran church requires a boatload of service in order to get confirmed. At least, the one that my sons' belongs to does. Thanks largely to the church, our boys had their high school community service requirements met by the time they got there.

Another mom, whose children were older at the time, suggested I keep a record of their service. Thank heavens, she said that, or I probably would have never thought of it, so I made an excel sheet and just made note of everything they worked on, the date, and who was in charge (youth leader or whomever). It felt a little weird, but it came in handy when our eldest applied to colleges.

As someone who helped run a community group for kids, it is very hard to get places to allow kids to do anything. They don't want them! If the kids are under 14,its pretty much collecting things for other groups and dropping them off.We have done food pantry, winter clothes for homeless, newborn items for Native American mothers on a reservation ,collect babydolls for an alzheimers home(they asked), mitten tree at x-mas etc..

We once bought and painted ceramics to go along with the senior lunch bags for meals on wheels and meals on wheels decided the painting looked "too childish"(no shit, kids did it ) and refuse to hand them out.They wouldn't even let the kids pack the lunch bags.The local park wouldn't let us clean up the trail and replace the missing/broken/ unreadable trail markers even though they only have 4 people on the board and all are elderly and not going to do it themselves. Even with all of the parents of the kids there, they do not want the help of the kids and that is frustrating.

If you are looking for something and can't find anything kid friendly, watch the news. A local house caught fire right before x-mas. The little boy was a giant hockey fan and lost all of his hockey collection which upset him the most. We put out the call and the kids collected a ton of hockey stuff and gave a lot from their own collections . We also gave him tickets to a game and we had it delivered anonymously. The woman who delivered it said even the dad was crying that kids did this for his family.

Also,if you know a newly divorced single mom or someone who is having a hard time,have everyone donate toys or gift cards to her . This was also anonymous, so the mom doesn't feel weird and the kids liked keeping the surprise.

The Harris brothers, all eyes and no sight, would certainly hate my Shakespeare's Insults tee shirt. Heck, I threw one in there, just for them.

Or I could just go balls-to-the-wall and call them footlickers. They might think it's biblical. :lol:

Hee hee! I have the mug. But I'm saving "lump of foul deformity" for a special occasion...

On preview: clibbyjo, that is so sad. I'm sure the seniors would have loved to have something made by children.

If it was just that I wouldn't think a lot about it, but what they teach is that the "rebelutionists" are doing things that no other teens do. That they are more mature than all other teens. That they are rebels against society. When reality is, in most locations, teens do these things all the time. The rebelutionists are no more special than all the other teens than volunteers. But because of this program they can now all feel superior.

I volunteer a lot, and tend to rise to the top of any endeavor (okay, okay, I'm just bossy, okay??).

I never really want a kid to help who is forced to be there. They're usually clueless, have no initiative, can't wait to leave, and usually slack off when no one's watching. They're just there for the hours to be documented on their transcript or for "helping them get into college".

Give me a million kids whose own idea it was to help, or who is going to be there anyway, or are willing to work for a little candy from the concession stand. At the youth baseball league, I had a regular crew who picked up trash in trade for a cold drink. They came back again and again. Give me those kids any day!

eta: I really loved the kids who negotiated with me. Then I knew I could ramp them up to harder and harder jobs (cleaning the restrooms! Score!) and it was win/win for both of us. Those were the kids were going places, I tell you that!

This is on their blog, to the right in red writing

» Hard Things in Small Packages

» You Can't Fake Hard Things

» When You Fail At Hard Things

» Understanding Do Hard Things

» Do Hard Things and the Gospel

» » How To Spoil Hard Things

Goodness me, looks like they just handed out a stack of LOLRebelution captions, for free!

As someone who helped run a community group for kids, it is very hard to get places to allow kids to do anything. They don't want them! If the kids are under 14,its pretty much collecting things for other groups and dropping them off.We have done food pantry, winter clothes for homeless, newborn items for Native American mothers on a reservation ,collect babydolls for an alzheimers home(they asked), mitten tree at x-mas etc..

We once bought and painted ceramics to go along with the senior lunch bags for meals on wheels and meals on wheels decided the painting looked "too childish"(no shit, kids did it ) and refuse to hand them out.They wouldn't even let the kids pack the lunch bags.The local park wouldn't let us clean up the trail and replace the missing/broken/ unreadable trail markers even though they only have 4 people on the board and all are elderly and not going to do it themselves. Even with all of the parents of the kids there, they do not want the help of the kids and that is frustrating.

If you are looking for something and can't find anything kid friendly, watch the news. A local house caught fire right before x-mas. The little boy was a giant hockey fan and lost all of his hockey collection which upset him the most. We put out the call and the kids collected a ton of hockey stuff and gave a lot from their own collections . We also gave him tickets to a game and we had it delivered anonymously. The woman who delivered it said even the dad was crying that kids did this for his family.

Also,if you know a newly divorced single mom or someone who is having a hard time,have everyone donate toys or gift cards to her . This was also anonymous, so the mom doesn't feel weird and the kids liked keeping the surprise.

You, my friend, are one of my heroes. Just wanted you to know. :clap:

Goodness me, looks like they just handed out a stack of LOLRebelution captions, for free!

This list is freaking hilarious, and I assumed thinking about, you know, hard things, was the default mindset rather than the gutter! :lol: Also, "rebelution" just sounds like a mispronunciation of "revolution."

This list is freaking hilarious, and I assumed thinking about, you know, hard things, was the default mindset rather than the gutter! :lol: Also, "rebelution" just sounds like a mispronunciation of "revolution."

It sounds like the Rugrats pronunciation to me.

Most of the teenagers I know around here are really sweet. They'll just come into your house and take your prescription narcotics off your hands. They don't have to be told and always do it anonymously because they are so humble.

If it was just that I wouldn't think a lot about it, but what they teach is that the "rebelutionists" are doing things that no other teens do. That they are more mature than all other teens. That they are rebels against society. When reality is, in most locations, teens do these things all the time. The rebelutionists are no more special than all the other teens than volunteers. But because of this program they can now all feel superior.

Oh yeah, I am not saying anything good about the Rebelution folks. The whole thing is half slick marketing and half lying sacks of shit. It's just like College Plus and ATI and every other "LOOK WE ARE BETTER THAN THE REST OF YOU SEATWARMERS AND HEATHENS" groups.

But its actual function other than cultish ridiculosity is to give a framework for the kids whose parents have destroyed theirs.

Archived