IGNORED

Does Derrick's Mother Believe in Birth Control?

LongDogMom

I think, in general, it is difficult and not effective for a parent-in-law to attempt to influence someone about decisions like this. As much as we might all wish that someone--anyone-- would influence the Duggar kids to rethink the ideology they were raised with, especially in regard to family planning (or the complete lack of it), a parent-in-law would be stepping over normal boundaries to try to be that person.

If you are married, think about how you would feel about a parent-in-law attempting to offer counsel that went against your own lifelong belief system. If the Seewalds or Mrs. Dillard feels that their sons and daughters-in-law are not making wise decisions, they may very well also realize that they cannot really intervene without causing strife and perhaps alienating their sons.

I agree in general, but it seems to me like JB and M have no problem overstepping the bounds to push their agenda and lifestyle, so I just wondered if maybe Derrick's mother might try to counsel him to think about what he's doing and how much responsibility it is, etc. I know that if it was one of my sons, I would probably gently raise the issue from the standpoint of being concerned for them financially and emotionally. Kids are overwhelming and it's hard to give each child what they need when you have another and another one right after the other like Michelle.

Then again, I'm projecting my own opinions into it I guess, and maybe Derrick's mom is all for it.

True that. I just think Gothard in general really aims at trying to pinpoint low or weak areas, exaggerate them, and offer a "methodology" to fix it all. And Derrick's mom also was getting sick, so I'm sure already losing one parent and then the surviving parent also getting cancer did not help Derrick at all.

This is a good point. Derrick might've felt deep inside as if he was losing his family and felt drawn to the Duggars because they welcomed him into this solid big family group. There was always going to enough Duggars around. Maybe that was part of the attraction...to be part of a big family group.

Derick's mom probably did believe in birth control but it isn't going to translate to her sons marriage as Jill isn't going to accept it. Jill is highly indoctrinated and probably equates birth control as selling her soul to the devil. Derick's mom will have a slew of grandchildren to love whether she wants it or not.

Archived